Jicama??

Options
If anyone can help me with this jicama thing, I'd greatly appreciate it! I was looking for snack ideas, and found one that said a cup of jicama sticks is a great, low cal snack, and I figured it would help me get a veggie/fruit serving in.

So, what is it, other than a root veggie? What's the flavor? What's the texture? How can you tell if it's ripe enough? How do you prepare it? Can it be cooked as well as eaten raw?

ANYTHING at all that anyone can give me would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love jicama!!! I eat it raw. It has the texture and color of a potatoe with a flavor compared to a very mild asian pear. Its mildly sweet and totally refreshing. I have no tips on picking one at the store but have never bought one that wasnt ripe or going bad. They last a good bit in the fridge for me.

the only way I have ever eaten them is peeled with lime and salt. Its very refreshing and delicious. they are good enough to eat without the lime and salt but I love it this way. I am sure you can cook them like any other vegatable and get different results depending on how you cook them.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    It's a root veggie. Texture wise it is similar to an apple. I don't really know how to describe the flavor, not much to it, similar to a raw potato but with a little sweetness. If you google jicama you can find all kinds of recipes for it cooked and raw.

I like to snack on it raw, just peel and slice. Once in awhile I will throw a little lime/lemon juice and some chili powder on it to give it a little extra.

It ages like a potato, so if its starting to shrivel up, its past its prime.
  • valeriedent2
    valeriedent2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Thank you so much! I was intrigued to begin with, and I'm even more so now!! Will def be picking one up on my next shopping trip!!