Heart Rate Monitor questions

Options
My husband and I are wanting to get hrm's so I have been doing some research and what stands out the most to me is that there are ALOT to choose from. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed so I thought (hoped) to narrow down my search after getting some answers here. :) Here are my questions (that I can think of right now):

1) Are there monitors that can be programmed for more than one user? Like we could get one monitor, set our personal stats and use it in turns?

2) We are leaning toward the ones without chest straps because they seem more convenient. Are the ones WITH a chest strap more accurate?

3) Is this a huge case of "you get what you pay for"? There are some big price differences out there. I've seen them ranging from around $30 up into the hundreds. We just want to know our heart rates during workouts, we don't need tons of fancy stuff. If we stay toward the lower end will we be getting our moneys worth or just frustration?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) I'm not sure...but I doubt it. The only ones I've used are Polars and would give you the chance to reset the user data each time you use it - that seems like it would be an inconvenience but doesn't take a long time so you could get used to it.

2) The only way to get a constant heart rate monitoring is by using the chest strap. As I understand it, the watch only models only take your heart rate when you touch them so the heart rate and calories burned a way more of an estimate.

3) Yes. I think you can get a Polar FT4 for $60-$80, maybe less with sales/coupons.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
  • littleworm23
    Options
    Are there any brands that people here would rate above others?
  • littleworm23
    Options
    Bump
  • laureen8885
    laureen8885 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To answer your questions....

1. They generally are not made for more than one user because you have to input user specific data such as body weight, height, so the monitor can calculate properly. To use a HRM the way you want, you'd have to keep adjusting these specifics and that would defeat the purpose. I know for Polar, they have a website that will keep track of your HR history to find your specific target heart rate zone based on history and also calculate your basal heart rate.

2. Chest strap is the most accurate about 99%. Without the strap the HRM's have to nodes on each side for you to grasp with your fingers but you'd have to stop your workout to do this and write your HR down somewhere to keep track. To me it'd be a Pain. With the chest strap, I hand wash it, put it on and I don't feel it on. It also syncs with the equipment in the gym so I can see my HR on the screen in front of me on the machine rather than looking down at my watch. Polar is the ONLY brand that syncs with machines. The other reason I love the chest strap is the calorie count and HR is constantly monitoring me. I can press a button and get real time calories based on real time HR.

3. I got the Polar I think F4? I didn't get the latest and greatest but Polar's basic model that the store had. I paid $79.99 but with the syncing feature I saw it as a huge added value.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    1) Most HRM's are designed for either sex. Why would you want to share an HRM anyway? I understand you guys are married but why would you want to be swapping sweaty goo over and over?

2) The only way to get an accurate reading with an HRM is with a chest strap. I bought one a while back without one. JUNK!

3) I have a New Balance N4 I got at Target and I think including tax it came to around $65.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    1) I haven't see any like this. You'll most likely need to get one for each of you.

2) The ones WITH a chest strap are so much better. They will read your HR constantly for you, other wise with most HRM you have to put your fingers on it every 2 minutes to read your HR (or it will time out, or only use your starting HR!). Very annoying. Some of the more expensive ones let you put a strap on your arm instead of your chest, and still gets a constant reading. Spend the extra money and go with a strap.

3) I got a Polar one (sorry don't remember the version...I think its the XS) with a chest strap for $50 at Walmart. It works really well. It "says" its waterproof (so you can swim)...but that is not true for the chest strap part! Just fyi. I have friends who have gotten the body bug (into the 100's) and just love it. But that is something with all the fancy measurements. I'd like to get one some day just because it monitors things like your sleep, and calories burned for a whole 24 hour period etc. But for now, my $50 one is working really good.
  • littleworm23
    Options
    Thanks for all the info :). I had kind of figured on the 1st question that there wasn't any like that but thought I would ask. It seems like they are mostly made specific to men or women. As far as sharing (gross or not) it was an idea because we don't have a lot of extra money right now and we would both like to use one.
  • lutkica01
    lutkica01 Posts: 65
    Options
    maybe you can get one hrm with chest strap included, and then order just an extra chest strap online for your husband to use. polar has that option
  • littleworm23
    Options
    maybe you can get one hrm with chest strap included, and then order just an extra chest strap online for your husband to use. polar has that option

Good idea. Thanks ;)