Born FAT or just LAZY?

Options
SORRY FOR REPOST!!!

Some are born with more fat genes than others and some of those people will fight all their life to try to keep weight off. If you ask those that won the battle they will tell you it was tough and took a major life style change to make it happen. Simple version would be 1) eat less 2) exercise more

I REFUSE to believe if those two things are done you won’t lose weight! ITS JUST SO F*CKING HARD TO DO!!!

Although I wasn't born a big kid I have allowed a couple of severed Achilles tendons to push me into habits that were not bestowed upon me as a kid. I am really only talking to my age group here (40 and over). If any of us were to think back when we were kids we would have a hard time trying to remember more than 20 kids in our high school class that were overweight. IF they were, you know you probably never saw them outside playing or involved in activities on a regular basis. They always had a sniggidy snack!

Not true today. When I look at my kids classmates I see more than half of the kids with a little more of what we used to call baby fat. My goal going forward is not only for me but for my kids and their friends also. I want to bestow in my kids that it’s ok for you to eat some of the things you want (in moderation) but you have to exercise/ do activities out or in the house on a regular basis. BURN MORE THEN WHAT YOU EAT!

My answer to the question is LAZY! Something I will refuse to do anymore!

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Nature gives some of us advantages over others, and not everybody approaches fat loss on a perfectly even playing field.
    That's reality.
    So, our bodies still remain the one area of our life where we have the most control.
    And those of us with a propensity to get fat need to work harder.
    At day's end this journey should be about optimal health as well as being fit, looking good and living well.
    And nobody is born to be fat.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I completely agreee....I am 37 (38 in Sept), so I am really close to 40 and I know exactly what you are talking about....I used to play outside all day EVERY day and loved it..Now, it's video games and sweet snacks all day long(We were poor so I didn't have this stuff)...We have to teach our kids not to be lazy!!!! And to eat right...Sweets on occasion but not everyday!!

ETA: To be a good example for our kids we have to get outside and run and play with our kids too!!! They love that!! :)
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I blame Birth control a TAD. But in the end, I blame my laziness. The only reason why people become fat is because they are lazy,and/or eat too much. Oh, and health reasons obviously ,but they can still lose it or keep ti off by eating right and exercising.
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    So instead of sitting at your computer and spewing....get off your *kitten* and do something.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I agree. Nobody is born predestined to be fat. We are hardwired to be lean, mean working machines. It's laziness that makes us fat, and on the rare occasion disorders, but those are defects on nature's part, still something we aren't ment to contend with.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    So instead of sitting at your computer and spewing....get off your *kitten* and do something.

jeeze relax you don't have to be doing something 24/7.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i was a skinny little girl, but i definitely felt i had more baby fat in the 5th and 6th grades than the other girls... i was also 6 inches taller than the girls and taller than most boys.

7th grade i was twig, and then in 8th my womanly curves (but not a chest) came in and i filled out. not fat, but again, i always felt bigger than the skinny little girls in my classes. i felt like they all had the same body, and i was this giant.

I was very active in high school - lots of sports! Didn't feel like i was skinny or necessarily fat, just average among a sea of short skinny girls.
    I always had an appetite, and ate a lot of junk though - if i had better eating habits, i'm sure i would have been thinner.

through out college i yo-yo'd a lot. gained weight during the year, and then it fell off over the summers. i didn't play sports and didn't really work out much.

As an adult/post college (i'm 27) i'm finding harder than it ever was to lose weight. My bf and I are talking about getting engaged and i know it won't be fun wedding dress shopping being my size as samples won't fit right and that's my big motivation here. Plus, I want to have 3 kids, and it'll be easier (i hope! my mom gained a lot of weight when she was pregnant with me, but i'm not sure what her eating/excercise habits were) to take baby weight off if i'm healthy before pregnancy.

I guess i'm saying it's a combination... wasn't born "skinny" or little, and i go through phases when i'm more or less motivated
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    OP: I agree with you

Its so sad to see those kids being kept indoors & they couldn't even run a few meters without catching breath. No wonder that some illnesses such as hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, cancer etc. that we normally associate for older people are becoming increasingly prevalent among younger people as well. I remember when I was a kid where there were still no nintendo family computers, play station or any other video games exist. I always out in our backyard playing with my brothers, sister & cousins. We run, jump, swim & do anything under the sun non-stop for the whole day everyday.

I'm still single & childless but right now I want to take charge of my health for my future kids and set them a good example.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I took my son to the doctors recently for a regular check up, I brought up a concern about his weight, that he is to skinny!! He a nine year old who is always on the move and definitely eats but people do comment on his weight calling him "skin and bones". His doctor turned to me and said "With the amount of over weight kids I see in a day, I am happy to see a kid as healthy as yours!"

So I know what you mean, I am all about getting my kids to be active with me! The whole reason I took up running was because my then 9 year old daughter joined a running club and wanted a running partner outside of school to practice with so she could get better!
  • TrutHurtZ
    TrutHurtZ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love the honesty!

@vcreinert....you just made me get up to go get some water...LOL!
  • TJFreeman
    TJFreeman Posts: 96
    Options
    I admit it - I'm LAZY!
  • TrutHurtZ
    Options
    Nature gives some of us advantages over others, and not everybody approaches fat loss on a perfectly even playing field.
    That's reality.
    So, our bodies still remain the one area of our life where we have the most control.
    And those of us with a propensity to get fat need to work harder.
    At day's end this journey should be about optimal health as well as being fit, looking good and living well.
    And nobody is born to be fat.

WELL SAID
  • TrutHurtZ
    Options
    I completely agreee....I am 37 (38 in Sept), so I am really close to 40 and I know exactly what you are talking about....I used to play outside all day EVERY day and loved it..Now, it's video games and sweet snacks all day long(We were poor so I didn't have this stuff)...We have to teach our kids not to be lazy!!!! And to eat right...Sweets on occasion but not everyday!!

ETA: To be a good example for our kids we have to get outside and run and play with our kids too!!! They love that!! :)

It's sad...I've seen a few friends who I haven't seen since high school. You can barely recognize them. I am afraid that most will not show up to reunion for that reason alone...

I'd bet that if they were looking good they would show up even if they didn't feel successful.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Long post, but this hit on a personal touch point of mine.

I subscribe to the Endo/Meso/Ectomorph way of thinking - yes, there's many different ways a body reacts to exercise and excess calorie input. As such, there are some people who will claim they're "born fat" because their body tends to pack on fat more readily than muscle. Since a lot of parents don't think about their child's bodyfat (if they even think about their weight at all!), the endomorphs and mesomorphs tend to get overweight.

"Oh, he's just a growing boy." "He'll grow into his weight" "She's just got some baby fat left." - Wrong. Baby fat does not grow with your child. It's the parent's actions that determine how the child grows up.

I'm midway between endo and meso. I pack on muscle easy, and I pack on fat almost as easy. I was born big (11 1/2 lbs), but my parents were watchful about my activity and eating, so for the longest time I was healthy.

But once you get past a certain age, it becomes your responsibility to watch what you eat and do. You may want to rebel against your parents like I did and eat just about everything in the house (seriously - half a gallon of milk a day was NORMAL), but you pay for your actions. YOU are responsible for your situation at this point. If you're fat, then do something about it.

My son's already following in my footsteps (he plays "Atlas Stone" with a 10 lb medicine ball at 2 1/2 years old), so I'm making sure he stays active (going to the park, limiting TV time, just running around the house - not too hard with him), and if he wants to eat, he gets a fair balance of foods. No limitations - we do fast food on occasion - but he gets more than a fair share of fruits and veggies.

I'm wandering, so instead of deleting and rewriting, I'll stop with: Yes, you can be cursed with a body that likes to add fat. No, you can't change how your body runs. But YES, you CAN do something about it!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Those are my only two choices? If I wasn't born with some sort of physiological disadvantage (subjective) toward maintaining a healthy weight, and I'm overweight, then I must be lazy?

Not sure I buy that as a universal. I'm sure some people are lazy, but there's lots of potential other issues that could be at play. Some could:

-Think being overweight is just fine with them. They're not lazy; they just disagree with other people about how much they should weigh.
    -Be wildly delusional/in severe denial. It's not really lazy at that point, but I suppose a lazy person could be in denial about their lack of motivation. It's a little complex, though.
    -Paralyzed by shame. This is also not being lazy. And in fact, referring to someone like this as lazy seems likely to have the opposite effect of motivating them.

The list goes on. Efforts to make this aspect of motivation more simple are sometimes flawed.
  • TrutHurtZ
    Options
    Those are my only two choices? If I wasn't born with some sort of physiological disadvantage (subjective) toward maintaining a healthy weight, and I'm overweight, then I must be lazy?

Not sure I buy that as a universal. I'm sure some people are lazy, but there's lots of potential other issues that could be at play. Some could:

-Think being overweight is just fine with them. They're not lazy; they just disagree with other people about how much they should weigh.
    -Be wildly delusional/in severe denial. It's not really lazy at that point, but I suppose a lazy person could be in denial about their lack of motivation. It's a little complex, though.
    -Paralyzed by shame. This is also not being lazy. And in fact, referring to someone like this as lazy seems likely to have the opposite effect of motivating them.

The list goes on. Efforts to make this aspect of motivation more simple are sometimes flawed.

Thanks...Well thought out!

I agree...with all points to a degree. If being overweight is fine with them then thats great....but is it healthy? I dont let the doctors tell me I'm overweight. I am 43/ 6'2"/black male/@ 222.6. I am in decent shape, but according to them I am overweight and should way 180lbs. I have NO health issues at all...NONE! But I know the extra weight makes me sluggish when trying to do some of the activities that I love to do. Sports...Make love to the wife ;-) LOL! etc...so I chose to try and get down to 210-215 for me. In all....if you being overweight is causing health issues and you continue to just let it happen...than that is just being lazy. Not to mention that the health issues you bring upon yourself do in fact cause a burden on your family...because they have to take care of you.

I REALLY APPRECIATE your comment. I can def see your point of view.
  • TrutHurtZ
    Options
    Long post, but this hit on a personal touch point of mine.

I subscribe to the Endo/Meso/Ectomorph way of thinking - yes, there's many different ways a body reacts to exercise and excess calorie input. As such, there are some people who will claim they're "born fat" because their body tends to pack on fat more readily than muscle. Since a lot of parents don't think about their child's bodyfat (if they even think about their weight at all!), the endomorphs and mesomorphs tend to get overweight.

"Oh, he's just a growing boy." "He'll grow into his weight" "She's just got some baby fat left." - Wrong. Baby fat does not grow with your child. It's the parent's actions that determine how the child grows up.

I'm midway between endo and meso. I pack on muscle easy, and I pack on fat almost as easy. I was born big (11 1/2 lbs), but my parents were watchful about my activity and eating, so for the longest time I was healthy.

But once you get past a certain age, it becomes your responsibility to watch what you eat and do. You may want to rebel against your parents like I did and eat just about everything in the house (seriously - half a gallon of milk a day was NORMAL), but you pay for your actions. YOU are responsible for your situation at this point. If you're fat, then do something about it.

My son's already following in my footsteps (he plays "Atlas Stone" with a 10 lb medicine ball at 2 1/2 years old), so I'm making sure he stays active (going to the park, limiting TV time, just running around the house - not too hard with him), and if he wants to eat, he gets a fair balance of foods. No limitations - we do fast food on occasion - but he gets more than a fair share of fruits and veggies.

I'm wandering, so instead of deleting and rewriting, I'll stop with: Yes, you can be cursed with a body that likes to add fat. No, you can't change how your body runs. But YES, you CAN do something about it!

Love this!
  • dasbrot
    dasbrot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting read on mothers' health and its effects on children:
    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/04/born-to-be-fat/

Interesting information on depression and how it makes losing weight harder:
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/211239.php

There are several scholarly articles on this topic, as well as other articles written on obesity and genetics. Here is one:
    http://www.cdc.gov/features/obesity/

Obviously everyone's bodies are different, so for anyone to put some minimal effort blanket answer over this kind of question is not helping others. There are many factors to consider, different variables, and other (as mentioned above) genetic traits that come into play. I look at generations of family members who have similar body builds, so to me it is obvious that genes cannot be excluded.

(One thing I have found in my experiences of weight loss is food quality. I've lived in France twice, and both times I've lost around 15-20lbs. The minute I returned to the US, the weight came back on.
    Walking everyday (for long periods of time) also contributes greatly to weight loss for me, which is difficult to do in pedestrian unfriendly areas. Having the ability and/or necessity to walk to work not only gets you from home to work cheaply, efficiently, and environmentally friendly, but it also allows for exercise everyday, built right into your commute schedule. Unfortunately many areas do not lend themselves to this option, so I think this is one of the many reasons the US (and other countries of course, too!) has a higher obesity rate.
    Slightly off-topic, but those are just some things to consider, which many people don't have the chance to try out...)