A1C - blood sugar

Options
My A1C is high. I am a healthy BMI, I exercise a lot, and I eat very well. I limit carbs as much as a I can being that I do a lot of endurance training.

Why might it still be high? I have no family history of diabetes. I have never been overweight and I am currently at the highest weight I have ever been (although it is still a healthy weight).

Any ideas?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.
  • brooke800
    brooke800 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I will be doing that. However, I just got a message from the dr. on my phone and won't be able to meet with her until next week so I am kind of worried and wanted ideas until then.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    First, how elevated? Ask for a retest. Sometimes mistakes happen.

Assuming it's correct, and high, the basics of Type II diabetes is that the pancreas can no longer produce enough insulin to process the glucose. Usually, this is due to insulin resistance, which frequently comes with extra weight. But not always. Thin and healthy people can have insulin resistance as well, it's just not as common. I suppose it's also possible that your pancreas isn't producing a normal amount of insulin.
  • RachelWest86
    Options
    Let's not all assume it's Type 2. My sister was just diagnosed two years ago with Type 1. She was 20, 125 pounds, 5'5", extremely fit (she either swam, ran, or lifted weights every single day), and ate well. Her pancreas just quit working. Sometimes body parts break with no good reason.

That being said, I really hope your pancreas didn't just quit on you. I would hold off on freaking out until you can talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends. I'm usually a Chicken Little, but this very well may just be an acorn, not the sky falling on your head.

Deep breaths, and good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Let's not all assume it's Type 2. My sister was just diagnosed two years ago with Type 1. She was 20, 125 pounds, 5'5", extremely fit (she either swam, ran, or lifted weights every single day), and ate well. Her pancreas just quit working. Sometimes body parts break with no good reason.

That being said, I really hope your pancreas didn't just quit on you. I would hold off on freaking out until you can talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends. I'm usually a Chicken Little, but this very well may just be an acorn, not the sky falling on your head.

Who assumed it was type II only? It would be highly unlikely at the age of 30 to become a type I diabetic, but I did mention pancreatic issues as a possibility.
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options

It sure could be the Pancreas is what My doctor called it, Sludged up! How are your Triglycerides? Mine were high! Got on a daily Cholesterol Med (TriCor) and those numbers dropped to the perfect range.
  • brooke800
    Options
    I just talked with the medical assistant because the doctor is busy (frustrating, but understandable). She said that my a1c is 6.2. She really didn't say anything else other than "take a diabetes education class". Um, thanks, I am not sure I can modify my lifestyle much to be healthier. It is already really healthy.

Should I get retested just to make sure?

Can high blood sugar be related to weight gain?
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I knew a girl whose blood sugar levels when untreated were regularly in the 4 and 5 hundreds... diabetes isn't always weight related and there wasn't a known history of it in her family.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    She said that my a1c is 6.2. She really didn't say anything else other than "take a diabetes education class".

6.2 would put your average blood sugar level at around 125ish... which would indicate pre-diabetic. Normally two tests in a row of 6.5 or higher for an undiagnosed diabetic is used as a threshold for determining diabetes.

You may want to ask for a glucose tolerance test. If it indicates your body is not doing what it should, then there are dietary things you can do to help control that better. You may also want a referral (if your insurance requires it) or just make an appointment with an endocrinologist who specializes more in these matters.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A normal A1C for a non-diabetic is between 4%-6%, so really a 6.2 isn't bad at all. A lot of diabetics aim for an A1C below 7, and would consider 6.2 a real success.

It sounds like you're at a good place, and I'm assuming since you say you're healthy that you don't have a lot of weight to lose. I'd wait and talk to your Dr. before worrying about it. I think you're doing fine.

Edit: Actually I thought you said you were already a diabetic, which you didn't, my mistake. A 6.2 is a cause for concern, but it can because by any number of things, especially medication.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just talked with the medical assistant because the doctor is busy (frustrating, but understandable). She said that my a1c is 6.2. She really didn't say anything else other than "take a diabetes education class". Um, thanks, I am not sure I can modify my lifestyle much to be healthier. It is already really healthy.

Can high blood sugar be related to weight gain?

Yes and yes, but usually weight gain that equals being overweight, not within a healthy range.

First, with an A1C that low, you are more than likely creeping towards type 2. As far as I know, a type 1 diabetic, who's pancreas has stopped working and is not being treated probably wouldn't have an A1C that low. Diabetes education will basically teach you about carb portion control. What is a serving size, etc.

Now, the first question I have...do you take any cholesterol medicine? Stantin or statin (can't remember) related drugs raise blood sugars. If that's not the case, then I'd probably look at your diet and try to limit carbs when you aren't training/exercising. I can eat a lot more carbs on days that I workout vs. days that I'm at rest. Testing and examining those results is the key to controlling those numbers.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    An A1c is a very reliable test. It measures your average blood sugar reading over the last 3 months (the life span of a red blood cell). The cells act like a sponge floating through the blood and "pick up" the sugar readings. Physicians disagree, but in general, an A1c of >6.0 - 6.5 is considered diabetic.

But more important than labeling the condition as diabetes is simply that your blood sugars seem to be running higher than they should. It's important to try to get those down to prevent long-term complications of high blood sugar. An A1c of 6.2 means your blood sugar typically runs about 130... and that average sugar should be less than 100-110 at any given time.

I would suggest finding a new doctor - simply because this one doesn't seem to provide you the info and guidance you'd like. With a new healthcare provider, you can focus less on the condition and more on what you can do about it. It already sounds like you are doing a LOT right... but usually there is more that you can do to help lower your sugars. A dietician or another provider can help you learn about glycemic index, sugar sources (even like fruits!), and other ways to help lower you sugar.

Best of luck to you. One thing to KNOW - even if this does turn out to be an actual diagnosis of diabetes - there is SO MUCH that can be done to help and prevent any untoward complications.

I would also caution you on reading and taking my advice (and any other well-intended folks out there)... because many times it's just opinion... and you can really benefit from the direction of a qualified individual. I'm an RN and a health coach - and I still suggest you consult with a provider that can look at your entire situation and put it all in context. Please don't stop, start, or alter any medications... food plans... exercise.... without having a thorough conversation first. There is much that should go into an evaluation, and the appropriate ranges and interventions for each person vary DRAMATICALLY based on a myriad of other factors we posters just can't know about you.
  • Pooh1981
    Pooh1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A1C most of the time deals with blood glucose spikes if you are eating anything witha high sugar content and bunches of it at a time you may want to space it out more through the day...Bananas are very high in sugar and can also cause blood sugars to spike while eating them if you want to seriously be tested for diabetes you should have your Dr. preform a 3 hour sugar test which includes a fasting and then one right after eating and another one an hour after eating to see if you blood sugar is spiking way too high! My ex husband had high sugar (around 300-400 range) and his A1C was around seven but he also had high cholesterol and tryglicerides which doesn't help anything with being diabetic but I wouldn't freak out just yet! Find out what the Dr. has to say and maybe he/she will run some more tests to see what is really going on. Hope this helps!
  • waldenfam2
    Options
    A normal A1C for a non-diabetic is between 4%-6%, so really a 6.2 isn't bad at all. A lot of diabetics aim for an A1C below 7, and would consider 6.2 a real success.

It sounds like you're at a good place, and I'm assuming since you say you're healthy that you don't have a lot of weight to lose. I'd wait and talk to your Dr. before worrying about it. I think you're doing fine.

ETA: I've been a diabetic for 10 years, and while I have some experience with it, I'm no expert. I diagnosed my own diabetes with a BG test of 400. I immediately dropped all sweets (bye bye king-size Hershey bars), and started exercising. My first A1C three weeks later was 8.8. It's gotten better since then.

I agree that the Diabetes Association probably says this, but according to the Mayo Clinic, A1C's from 5.7 to 6.4 are considered pre-diabetic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/a1c-test/MY00142/DSECTION=results

I've actually read somewhere that people who will never develop type 2 during their life will typically have fasting glucose levels in the 70s or 80s, much, much lower than the limits outlined as normal by the Diabetes Association.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I agree that the Diabetes Association probably says this, but according to the Mayo Clinic, A1C's from 5.7 to 6.4 are considered pre-diabetic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/a1c-test/MY00142/DSECTION=results

I've actually read somewhere that people who will never develop type 2 during their life will typically have fasting glucose levels in the 70s or 80s, much, much lower than the limits outlined as normal by the Diabetes Association.

You're right, I actually misread her post. I thought she was already a diagnosed diabetic, which makes a difference. For a full-blown diabetic like me, a 6.2 is actually not too bad, for someone trying to avoid diabetes in the first place it's something to be concerned about, not to freak out over, but concerned, yes.
  • waldenfam2
    Options

You're right, I actually misread her post. I thought she was already a diagnosed diabetic, which makes a difference. For a full-blown diabetic like me, a 6.2 is actually not too bad, for someone trying to avoid diabetes in the first place it's something to be concerned about, not to freak out over, but concerned, yes.

Eh, no problem. I saw that you edited yours after I posted that :)
  • brooke800
    Options
    I am pretty shocked by all of this. When I went to the doctor- because of strange weight gain (low calorie, healthy diet with a lot of exercise) they discovered I was hypothyroid. I returned after I started synthroid to get follow up blood work. The doctor said she wanted to test my A1C although she was quite sure nothing would be wrong. I don't know why she wanted to test because I didn't really mention symptoms that would lead to that diagnosis (fatigue, weight gain were my symptoms).

I went to an RD who told me to INCREASE my carbs because I was eating too little of them and that was leading to my fatigue. When I increased I did notice that my running got easier and I had a bit more energy. Now I wonder if that wasn't a good idea.

I probably will get another doctor. The trouble is how long it takes to even get an appointment. I want to follow up with this one, at least for now, because I want to know more about what the lab results mean.

I take- Synthroid, ambien, adderall but I don't think any of these would contribute.

I also don't eat much fruit, usually a piece a day or less. I guess I can improve my diet, but it makes me sad that it would have to be 100 percent healthy instead of the 90% I do now. I hate to say it is "unfair" because life is unfair, but it does feel that way.
  • brooke800
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses! I really appreciate them!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it is "unfair" because life is unfair, but it does feel that way.

I hear ya. It is a bummer when you feel you make the "good" choices more often than not and you still have a health fallout. It just doesn't feel fair and it... well... sucks.

i've been losing weight for 8 years and overall pretty successful. Originally labeled a diabetic with high blood pressure, on 7 medications... and with weight loss, remedied all of that and got to zero medications - until I was diagnosed with a clotting disorder and put on meds for life. Ha!! Sometimes, there is just no other way to put it - IT SUCKS!!!!

Great idea to circle back to your doctor (this one, another one, any one!). I hope you get the info you need!
  • carolk843
    carolk843 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat, but at 6.1. (The doctor I fired said that was fine, ahem). Hence, I've been doing a lot of reading.

There are some diabetics who assert that caffeine causes their blood sugar to spike. If you drink a lot, as I did, it may be a partial cause.

In my 30s and 40s my fasting was in the mid 70s range, but since all of my siblings have diabetes I knew this was coming. (They keep saying, are you sure you are not diabetic?) The only prior diabetes in the family was my maternal grandfather who contracted it in his 60s. Testing and monitoring were different way back when and life spans sometimes shorter so some people could have a genetic disposition and not know.

During the time frame when I was trying not to completely freak out, I found the compilation of information at the University of Maryland Medical Center site most helpful

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_general_guidelines_a_diabetes_diet_000042_2.htm

There is no MD after my name so take this FWIW.