Rapid weight loss congratulations?

Options
I don't usually put too many posts up here, and witnessed how some threads can degenerate quickly so have almost avoided them, but being new here I just wanted to get opinions on something because I may just be misinformed.

I have been on MFP for about a month or so and lost around 5 pounds. The maximum MFP recommends you lose is 2 pounds a week (or at least that's the maximum goal it lets you put) so I figure I'm not doing SO badly and I see others have had the same sort of rate of progress. On the other side of that, I have seen people post progress reports of losing really big numbers of weight within much shorter periods of time (80 pounds in 6 months, for example) and when that happens people are always posting these very enthusiastic congratulations where my reaction is usually "Whoa! That was fast !"

I do NOT want to detract from any of these success stories, and these people look awesome I admit, but it just seems to conflict with everything I am reading about steady healthy weight loss. It is also making me wonder if I am just doing something wrong and should be losing weight faster? Of course, it could just have to do with the fact that when you are much bigger you tend to lose weight faster at the outset?

Thoughts?

Replies

• Muir78
    Muir78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    To me, 5 pounds in a month is completely normal and healthy.

Some people that are seeing the big losses may not be going about things in the most healthy way. But for others, especially those of us with a lot to lose (starting at 300lbs+), it's not uncommon to see huge losses at the beginning and things slowing down as we get smaller.
  • banstett
    banstett Posts: 95
    Options
    Every body is different. It also depends on how many calories you eat, calories you burn, etc. 5 lbs in a month is great! It is not unhealthy to lose more than 2 lbs per week. If you are eating your recommended amount of calories and exercise more than someone else, most likely you are going to lose more weight which is not a bad thing. Keep it up!
  • Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For me, I lose about 7-10 pounds a month. So that's sometimes a bit under, or sometimes a bit over the 2ib per week baseline. Personally, I still have 40 pounds to lose, so that will slow down probably when I get 20 pounds closer to my goal. It all depends on how close you are to a healthy weight.
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race!!! I've lost the same 40 pounds three of four different times. So I believe if you take it slow then you will lose weight and keep that weight off. But everyone is different so maybe the quickies will be aware and have full will power to keep it off. I didn't because my sexiness would prevail and I'd be going out to show it, a drink here and food there then here comes the snowball effect.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Everyone is different. Those who lose slower aren't necessarily wrong and those who lose faster aren't necessarily either.

If you take two identical 170 lb women at 5 foot 5 and give one a moderate-easy program and the other one a moderate-hard program... one is working harder than the other and will lose faster. Just because its faster, doesn't mean it won't stay off. Just because it is slower, doesn't mean they aren't doing a great job.

And for those who have a lot to lose like me, doing that harder more intense program/eating will have even MORE of an effect because I was eating pizza 1-2 times a week before and whatever I wanted ...

If someone has lost weight, that should be congratulated. If they have dangerously low body fat, that is a different story. If they are taking *dangerous* unprescribed pills, that is a different thing.

You should be happy for people who lose weight, and not focus on whether they didn't do it perfectly. People who eat a small brownie 3x a week "to keep sane" aren't doing it "perfectly healthy" either. As long as people are progressing and their own habits are getting better (do you know what someone's previous habits were?), then they are doing a good job and that is all that matters.

Hope my difference of opinion doesn't unnecessarily offend.

EDITED to correct a word.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I understand and agree with this sentiment. I read a post about a woman who said she lost 45 pounds in two months. Thats wonderful of course but It seems so fast to me too.
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My only reaction to them is jealousy =/
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    When I started this process, I was 340 pounds. When I was serious, I lost weight rapidly. That's how it goes when you're morbidly obese. The smaller I get, the slower I lose. It's normal.

Also, what folks need to remember is that 2lbs per week is an average over time. I had a 2 week span where I lost 14 pounds! But when I average my loss over time, I've lost about 1 pound a week.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    (I'm speaking in generalities here, based on mysel)

Something to remember is that very heavy people tend to eat a lot of salty, processed foods. If they make the switch to healthier food and start drinking more water, they're possibly going to drop a whole lot of water bloat in a very short time. For example, I lost 30ish lbs in 5 days earlier this year. it was purely water weight--I came home from the hospital after delivering my son at 265 and by the following Monday I was 235.

Also, very heavy people can afford a steeper calorie deficit in the beginning because they have fat reserves they can burn off to keep them going. But as the weight comes off, the deficit needs to decrease.

Finally, before I had my son I lost 46 lbs via MFP, I had a 1-1.5 lb/week deficit set. even keeping strictly to that, using a HRM and eating my exercise back, my actual loss varied from 0.2 - 4 lbs/week. It's definitely not an exact science!
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    first the heavier you are in weight the more you will lose. so you need to put that into account. for the average person they lose about 1-2 pounds a week. someone like me who weighed 250 pounds in 1996 I lost more weight because I had more to lose. now my weight loss is slowing down because I am at 180 pounds. everyone has a different body type. there is no one size fits all.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    IOf course, it could just have to do with the fact that when you are much bigger you tend to lose weight faster at the outset?
    Thoughts?

BINGO
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with starting weight. If you have a lot to lose the weight will come off faster if diet and exercise habits are changed! As the weight drops and our bodies get used to the exercise - they weight loss starts to get a little slower until we get closer to ideal/goal weight.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Those who lose slower aren't necessarily wrong and those who lose faster aren't necessarily either.

If you take two identical 170 lb women at 5 foot 5 and give one a moderate-easy program and the other one a moderate-hard program... one is working harder than the other and will lose faster. Just because its faster, doesn't mean it won't stay off. Just because it is slower, doesn't mean they aren't doing a great job.

And for those who have a lot to lose like me, doing that harder more intense program/eating will have even MORE of an effect because I was eating pizza 1-2 times a week before and whatever I wanted ...

If someone has lost weight, that should be congratulated. If they have dangerously low body fat, that is a different story. If they are taking *dangerous* unprescribed pills, that is a different thing.

You should be happy for people who lose weight, and not focus on whether they didn't do it perfectly. People who eat a small brownie 3x a week "to keep sane" aren't doing it "perfectly healthy" either. As long as people are progressing and their own habits are getting better (do you know what someone's previous habits were?), then they are doing a good job and that is all that matters.

Hope my difference of opinion doesn't unnecessarily offend.

EDITED to correct a word.

Great answer!!!!
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input and your opinions !

I just want to clarify that I take nothing at all away from those who lose weight quickly (so there is no jealousy or criticism on my part whatsoever), I was just curious / concerned about it given the information I had up to that point regarding nutrition and weight loss. Some of the results have surpised me. There was no offense or judgment on my part at all.

I congratulate EVERYONE on here for taking any steps, whatever they may be, to reach their goals and target a healthier happier lifestyle for themselves.

KUDOS !

p.s. I myself am far from perfect so would certainly not expect anyone else to be !
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    The more overweight you are, the faster you can lose weight in a healthy way. I could only ever lose about 1 pound a week but I was a healthy weight to begin with.
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am currently losing quite quickly. BUT - I work my butt off, I eat within my calories (sometimes over but not by alot) I eat as clean as I can; and I work out almost every day. For me this is a super big change, so I am not worried about how quickly it is coming off, I know I have earned it. Everyone is different, and I think alot of it has to do with how much you are willing to change. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • michwinger
    michwinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to lose it the way you are going to live it. If you can lose 5 or 6 pounds a week by eating and exercising the way you CAN and WILL live the rest of your life, then there is nothing wrong with that. However, many people will starve themselves and exercise themselves into exhaustion to lose 20 pounds then go back to eating and exercising normally and the weight comes back on (and usually brings a few friends along). You have to make changes that you can live with for the rest of your life in order to make the weight loss permanent. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!