Vegetarian weight loss

Options
I am a 22 year old female, 5'4 and 179 lbs. I've had two babies in the past two years and I have a lot of weight to lose. My youngest is just 8 weeks old. What are some healthy vegetarian meals that will help me lose weight (been vegetarian almost my whole life)? I am trying to lose at least 15-20 lbs by the end of August when I go back to school. I am at a loss at what I should be eating to lose weight. Are the morningstar meatless products okay to be eating? I heard they were not and I do eat them often.

Also, I just joined this site and I was wondering if the main forums listed are the only forums here? I didn't see an option to view all the forums. I'm looking for a vegetarian and maybe a parent forum. I'm already finding it hard to eat healthy while taking care of two kids all day. I usually have only a couple minutes to prepare/eat meals. They also sleep at different times so I never get a break to exercise. Looking for tips from other moms!

Replies

• i_brit
    i_brit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, I been a vegetarian for 9 years now.
    As a vegetarian it is hard to get protein...I would suggest protein shakes and smoothies if you arent already doing so...Protein will make you stay fuller longer and your body burns more calories trying to digest protein the carbohydrates

You can buy whey protein and add it to cows milk or soy milk
    or make a fresh fruit smoothie with it.

Since I started having protein shakes I've noticed a big difference in my energy and weight lose.
    Hope that helps ;-)
  • Laurie1231
    Laurie1231 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of morningstar farms and quorn products. I usually at them to vegetables like a stir fry or just have veggies on the side. Beans are also a good option you just have to make sure you watch your portions on them. I used to substitute a lot of cheese products which i have cut down a lot on lately because of the high fat content. Also another good option is whole wheat pasta with lots and lots a vegetables mixed in with a little olive oil. I have some good recipes if your looking for somethings to be able to change it up not just for you but for your family too. My daughter loves some of the vegetarian recipes i make like vegetarian meatloaf with the morningstar meat crumbles.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am a 22 year old female, 5'4 and 179 lbs. I've had two babies in the past two years and I have a lot of weight to lose. My youngest is just 8 weeks old. What are some healthy vegetarian meals that will help me lose weight (been vegetarian almost my whole life)? I am trying to lose at least 15-20 lbs by the end of August when I go back to school. I am at a loss at what I should be eating to lose weight. Are the morningstar meatless products okay to be eating? I heard they were not and I do eat them often.

Also, I just joined this site and I was wondering if the main forums listed are the only forums here? I didn't see an option to view all the forums. I'm looking for a vegetarian and maybe a parent forum. I'm already finding it hard to eat healthy while taking care of two kids all day. I usually have only a couple minutes to prepare/eat meals. They also sleep at different times so I never get a break to exercise. Looking for tips from other moms!

I do best if I can cut out all the processed vegetarian foods and just eat whole foods. Veg/fruit beans, lentils, soy, nuts, seeds, etc.

Take a look in the Groups section. You can search there for groups like you're looking for. I know there are vegetarian groups and vegan groups and I'm positive there are parent groups.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Morningstar and other alternative protein sources are good just watch the salt. Beans are filling, just watch canned beans salt content. You're eating vegetarian not vegan so cheese, eggs, and greek yogurt are pretty good sources of protein.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

This is a great supporive group if you want to check it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores