Accuaracy Counting Calories

Options
I believe there is one main problem with counting calories on this site or any site and that is all the information being logged is mainly estimated. Most of the information I log I either scan in or go to the companies website and log the nutrional information they provide. I say I am doing a pretty decent job. I have not missed a day since I started on April 6th. I know when I am under my goal for a particular day some people believe I am not eating enough, but the fact is that information provided on a website is a lot different than what you are served in the store like Panera. I use the calorie tracking on here as a guide and know it's not 100% accurate. Just because Panera tells me on their website that a Tuna Sanwich is 260 calories it doesn't mean what I am eating at the restaurant isn't 300 or more calories.

Does anyone know of a more accurate way to track calories or do most of you use the site/app as a guide?

Replies

• lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use google- Quite alot- And weighing your food- going by ounces or grams would make it even more accurate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    You can take it to a lab and have it analyzed.

All of this is estimation. You can't expect perfection.
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I find myself estimated how much I ate everyday. Was that one or two cups of mashed potatoes? LOL

I hope some of you guys have some solutions because I can't carry around a scale everywhere.
  • RunFatGuyRun
    RunFatGuyRun Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can take it to a lab and have it analyzed.

All of this is estimation. You can't expect perfection.

No one said anything about perfection.

I agree with you but I have seen many people complaining about one person or another not eating enough calories. I can see if it's blatant, but for the most part unless you are not weighing everything yourself than there really is know way of knowing.
  • RunFatGuyRun
    RunFatGuyRun Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use google- Quite alot- And weighing your food- going by ounces or grams would make it even more accurate.

I do a lot of weighing and measuring at home when I prepare meals, but if I am out and I try to eat healthy I often feel like I need to add calories to adjust. But, again, adding just to add isn't accurate either.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    just do your best

even just logging your calories will help you stay consistent even if you are not 100% accurate.

keep up the good work!