moms with kids ;)))

Options

Replies

• lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is hard at times. I have a 2 year old and 5 year old plus I work full-time. Part of the reason I stay motivated is them...I want to set a good example and model a healthy lifestyle for them. But, there are times when motivation is lacking. I rely on resources like MFP or some training specific groups that I belong to to help keep me focused. The longer your lifestyle includes healthy eating and consistent exercise, the easier it is to keep it going...it just becomes habit.
  • shirin8
    shirin8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes :) I have 3 kids (3 yo girl, almost 2 yo boy, almost 10 month girl) and have been working on the baby weight (actively) since March. Since having my youngest, I have lost 50 pounds and am down to my last 10. As far as suggestions, just find a program that is flexible. DH and I do Insanity and end up working out pretty late (9pm+) each night after the kids go to bed. We've stayed committed, though, and it's working. We used to belong to a gym but that would never work now that we have kids. Also, just log everything you eat. It's hard to be a mom (I also work full time out of the house) but you have to make taking care of yourself a priority. Good luck! Feel free to add me if you are looking for motivation and are willing to motivate in return :)
  • prettynpink32990
    Options
    its hard !! with kids i have 3 1,3,4 i like to let them work out with me !! it works they love it they thnk its a game
  • beth0672
    beth0672 Posts: 37
    Options
    I have 4 kids. My youngest is 10 and if I tend to get a little lazy he'll come up and ask me to go for a walk with him or something. He knows this is important to me and he tries to help keep me moving!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids ranging from 16 - almost 8 weeks old. Having a very new one makes it very difficult, but I manage to get in at least 45 minutes of Zumba every day. I wouldn't do this 3 years ago, and after losing 50 lbs last year before getting pregnant and then gaining almost 60 lbs; I have a ton of determination to lose this pregnancy weight gain before my birthday in September.

You have to be ready for the change, or it'll never happen. It took me 17 years of being overweight to finally figure that one out. You can do it, you have to adjust your routine/schedule in order to make it happen.

I am a Realtor, so I have the flexibility. Not quite sure I'd be this successful if I held down a job outside of my home with 5 kids to chase after when I got home; I'd be pooped by dinner time.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 and a 2 year old. Life gets busy and its hard to stay motivated. I did great the first month and now I'm slowly slipping..I'm hoping to get back on track. Just have to get in the zone!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't use my kids an an excuse for being a lazy pig.
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a 17y/o and I stay motivated because of him. He works out hard and so do I. Plus I don't wanna be seen as the fat mom of a senior in hs.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It is hard at times to stay motivated. My son loves to yell and him and his older sister go back and fourth all day. I'm very prone to headaches. At times trying to work out if on the floor son seems to think I'm a jungle gym.

I have a pretty awesome support system in my friends on here. Just seeing them post their work outs make me want to do something even if its no where near as extensive or heavy of a work as theirs. My husband is pretty supportive as well of me working out and will handle the kids if I need to get away and go for a walk to clear my head, get some quiet etc.
  • jennadiane_
    jennadiane_ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of two. Boy, 6; Girl, 4. Plus I work outside the home on a rotating schedule so it's taking quite a bit of work and motivation to find time to work out. But we have a treadmill so I try and use that during "off times" (before they wake up in the morning, or before dinner in the evening) but they've also gotten used to be using the workout DVDs I have so I tell them just to give me time to do the workouts and shower and then I'm all theirs for the rest of the day. It's going well. I have a gym membership also, but now that it's summer and they're home I don't make it. Once school starts back up I'll be going once they get on the bus.

A few years ago I was never able to find the time. (And that's probably what got me to the point I'm at now) They needed me way more. Now that they can entertain themselves a little bit it's much easier. Good luck!
  • Hollie704
    Hollie704 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Setting a good example for my 18-month-old son and having the energy to keep up with him are my motivation. I work full-time, so I work out at the gym in my building on my lunch hours since my boyfriend travels frequently, and I can't work out afterwards since I have to take care of our son. I love the break in the day, and then my evenings are free to play with my son. I also like going on walks in the evening with him, and he loves to get out and about. On the weekends, running around with him in the park and chasing him give me some additional cardio.
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a 3.5 year old and yes it's hard. I also work 32 hrs/wk at a job where I'm awake for the day at 4am. I struggle with exhaustion on a daily basis but I almost always get my workout in!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I get up early to work out. I also go to the gym right after work (or during lunch) before I pick them up. On the weekends, if I don't get up early, I either put them in the jogging stroller or have them ride bikes. Sometimes they run a little with me but we just started that - they are 4 and 6.

Now...if I could just get my adult children to work out...lol
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have 2 girls. They are 5 and 1. It is definitely hard but I try to do my workouts in the morning or take them to the basement with me and they play while I workout.
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job working 38+ hours a week.. I also have 3 kids between the ages of 6-17.. It is very hard to not feel guilty about taking time for yourself. I felt so bad in the beginning, but I know that it is the only thing keeping me sane right now lol... Times get nuts and occasionally I find myself trying to fit in my exercise at midnight, but if it is important to you, you will find a way to make it happen...
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have 2 children. 18 months and 4 1/2 years. I go to the gym when my husband gets home from work. I DO have the option to take them with me, but I don't think I'd enjoy being so distracted while I'm trying to get my exercise in.
  • mizzleslie7
    Options
    I have a nine month old that takes up a lot of my time.. since the weather is nice right now I put him in his stroller and go out for a walk/jog with him and take our dog too.. I have bought 3lb weight to go around my ankles and I feel like that really works me out :) hope this helps
  • Sassybecky
    Sassybecky Posts: 72
    Options
    It's definitely harder to find time to exercise with kids. I have 2 girls age 7 and 4, and I either get up before they do to squeeze in some exercise or try to do a workout video while they are up and all around me. They don't seem to understand "move out of the way, I am exercising" and sometimes I crash into them. Maybe they will learn someday.

I don't have the energy to work out after they go to bed so these are my choices for now. It's getting easier as they get older though.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear. I have a 6 year-old son and a 10 year-old diabetic son. It's not easy. I just try my best and that's all anyone can ask for.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    hard is an understatement...but it is doable!! I have been working out at home for 5 years now...ever since my youngest was 6 months old and I became a stay-at-home mom (living on one income + no sitter = no gym).

Remember, besides the great example you set for your kids, they can keep you motivated and accountable as well. My two are constantly asking me what is "good" to eat vs. junk food and question my exercise routine (rest days I constantly get asked when I'm going to start, lol).

Just workout when it works best for you, whether it's early or broken up throughout the day, and remember that you have to take care of you in order to take care of the kiddos.

Best of luck!!