Diet and Exercise Burnout

Options
I just stepped off the scale after two weeks of roller coaster eating and exercise and found I gained back two pounds. I expected to feel angry, frustrated, sad, justified- something. Instead, it was empty. I just don't feel like I care. Maybe this is an acceptance of the cycle I've been going through since I started in March, but that doesn't fully explain the daily struggle I have with myself about eating right and exercising. A few weeks ago I was feeling proud and sucessful, seeing my strength and endurance increase and my cravings change to healthier foods. Now I just feel like its too much bother. I'm thinking maybe I'm just burned out in general. Does anyone have suggestions for re-energizing my journey?

Replies

• SarahYesICanFitness
    Options
    Have you been eating the same things day after day? Do you need to change it up a bit? How much protein?
    What have you been doing for exercise? Have you been doing the same workout routine for over a month?
    My suggestions... since you asked....
    Change one or two of your meals/snacks to a different food.
    Switch up your workout routine. If you've been doing the same thing for over a month, your body needs confusion to get moving again.
    If you're doing only cardio - add some strength training. Seriously. It helps. Push-ups (Start on your knees - they still count!) and squats are easy to do with no weights needed.
    If you're doing lifting already - add cardio. A 20 min walk - something to get your heart rate up, or even a 10 minute something - anything - just to kick it up a notch.
    Third - take measurements. I know, I know - everyone has heard this before. But.... the weeks that the scale doesn't change, you might still see changes in your body.
    Set up a piece of paper - or create a chart:
    Date
    Weight
    Chest
    Arms
    Waist
    Hips
    Thigh
    Then once a week (or once a month if you want) measure.
    It's so motivational to be able to say... I've lost __ inches off my hips!
    Hope this helps get you out of your rut. DO NOT GIVE UP!
    You have worked so hard to get where you are!
    You've GOT this!
    Sarah~
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Give yourself the right to have rest days and rest weeks, perhaps even rest months.

Your body needs change, challenge it with something else, and plan (and stick to it) your return to MFP.
  • HarlowAudrey
    Options
    Currently going through this now.

Its been almost a month. Hoping my motivation keeps in again soon.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Im just starting to slowly pull myself out of this , this week. I was ill about 2 weeks ago and still feel tired and drained so iv started by doing 30ds every other day.
    I also has a look around the supermarket for something yummy to treat myself to. I had the most wonderful Lime & coconut curry with prawns last night.
    Do you enjoy cooking? If you do try making something different. I enjoyed the curry so much im having it again tomorrow night yum
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    Some great suggestions here, thank you all.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I just stepped off the scale after two weeks of roller coaster eating and exercise and found I gained back two pounds. I expected to feel angry, frustrated, sad, justified- something. Instead, it was empty. I just don't feel like I care. Maybe this is an acceptance of the cycle I've been going through since I started in March, but that doesn't fully explain the daily struggle I have with myself about eating right and exercising. A few weeks ago I was feeling proud and sucessful, seeing my strength and endurance increase and my cravings change to healthier foods. Now I just feel like its too much bother. I'm thinking maybe I'm just burned out in general. Does anyone have suggestions for re-energizing my journey?

I went though being burnt out and ended up gaining about 15lbs. after losing it. I maintained for a year and now I am trying to get it back off. Don't be this person that has to fight for the weight to come back off again.
  • georgeinthecord
    georgeinthecord Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's hard to work hard and not see any changes, or even worse, a change in the wrong direction. But scales can be finicky. I love seeing my weight drop, but mostly, I am going by the changes in my clothes. I'm sure if you're working hard and stuff, your clothes are fitting different. Some weeks, I'll fret and know weigh in day is going to be depressing, but then I'll get dressed and BOOM, down a belt loop. Then I don't really care anymore, because I know I'm on the right track.

Just stick with it friend! All the work you put in will pay off in the end :)
  • QueChulaYo
    QueChulaYo Posts: 71
    Options
    energize your journey with daily prayer, having some quiet time to yourself, refocusing on what your goal is. you have the right tools, sometimes we to learn how to use them again... losing weight is hard, encouragement is easy, daily motivational messages help and lots of awesome people who encourage you and your life changing goals are key. eating and exercise like water and sleep are so important yes, but the emotional support for our daily life is needed as well. :smile: