Need suggestions for water consumption

Options
This is going to sound extremely strange, so let me preface this post: *I know that drinking lots of water is good for you and will even help aid in weight loss.*

Now that that's said...HELP ME find a way to drink more water! I don't find myself very thirsty throughout the day. Each morning when I workout, I easily down about 32 ounces of water, but then that's mostly it for the day. I may drink a coffee and a glass of unsweetened tea later on in the day, but that's it. Unless I *force* myself to go drink something, my body doesn't automatically tell me I'm lacking. I will take a 16oz bottle of water with me to work and it will be sitting right next to me all day and I do not even finish 1/2 of it.

What are some ways that I can incorporate more water into my lifestyle, or remember to drink it, or even gage how much I really need (I just don't think I can even do 64 oz).

Does anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem getting enough water, I'm always thirsty and I only drink water (and coffee and wine, of course),

Try switching out the tea for water? Set alarms on your phone every so often to remind you?
  • jessieg515
    jessieg515 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i bought a 32oz water bottle at walmart. i workout after work, so i go to work with it filled, usually drink most if not all of it there. then i go to the gym and fill it and drink another 32oz. i get in at least 64oz and then go home for dinner and usually drink more water! its been working great!
  • bgood24
    bgood24 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have the opposite problem in that I probably drink too much water! (I keep a full jug by my desk at work and just drink water throughout the day). But I would recommend filling a 500ml water bottle sipping on it throughout the morning. Then fill it up again and sip on it throughout the afternoon and evening.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i was always taught that drinking water 4 weight loss was a myth. just drink when u r thirsty.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I was not into drinking a whole lot of water, the whole peeing all the time and it doesn't taste like anything... Not my thing.

I just kinda made myself drink it, now I am at 3 x 32 oz containers just at work. I feel like I need it now. I think it is one of those things that you have to push through and keep up.

Or, you know, flavour it with something you like. I personally don't suggest MiO, but that is because I think the sweetners cause me to stall out weight loss wise. I think you are better off with a herbal tea bag or some fruit of some sort (lemon or something)
  • sarrylove
    sarrylove Posts: 88
    Options
    I have a 32 oz. bottle I carry every day. I try to finish the first one by the end of lunch and then fill it up and finish the other before bedtime. Have you ever thought of adding crystal light packets or something like that to give it some flavor? You could also put lemon or lime slices in your water. That gives it good flavor.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    i was always taught that drinking water 4 weight loss was a myth. just drink when u r thirsty.

A lot of people would agree with you, however, I think it has helped a lot. More for when your body is actually thirsty, but you feel hungry types. Also, the whole water retention thing.
  • baileyew27
    baileyew27 Posts: 18
    Options
    I use an old Quik Trip 32oz cup with a straw. Its the straw that makes it easy to drink from all day. I easily drink 3 of them while at work and then work out and get in lots more water. You can do it. Just have someone remind you to be drinking your water!
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i hope I don't get slammed for this suggestion....I cannot drink plain water so I get powdered flavorings and add to it. Using this I can drink easily 72-90 oz of water a day...with out it...I can't force 8 oz down!!! if you don't want the artificial sweetner with the powdered drink mixes, you could squeeze some lemon in. It sure has changed my water consumption :)
    good luck!
  • cowgirlup1952
    cowgirlup1952 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a friend about this a couple of weeks ago. She told me that your body needs water and if it doesn't get it, then it will store water and so you will have water weight gain. The more you drink, the be!tter your body will feel and it will let go of the stored water. I told her I just couldnt drink that much water, and she said that if you just make yourself drink it, soon you will crave it and then drink more. I bought a big 40 oz. insulated water bottle and I fill it with ice and water. I take this to work with me and I also have bottles of water. I drink all the water and there is always ice left so I pour another bottle in. I have been comsuming 52 ounces of water each day at work and enjoying it. The only problem I have is the bathroom breaks are a lot more frequent, but I feel so much better.
  • Caleysia
    Caleysia Posts: 23
    Options
    If you like tea make that and have it instead. But try have it green tea to even better decaf if possible. And it does not have to be hot make a lot in the morning put it in the fridge and cool it. I have so much tea a day it is crazy but as it is all water with flavor it is all good for you . Plus green tea is good for you
    I also recoment making it yourself as store brought tea is full of sugar which is not good
    Give that a try
  • MuffinMomP
    MuffinMomP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are only drinking about 16 oz of water per day, and have done this for a long time, your body will have adjusted to this and quit "asking" you for water via the thirst mechanism. If you can ramp up your water consumption, you will find within a month or so that your body beings to be thirsty again, signaling you when you need to drink. Until you get used to it, set a timer for a reasonable interval and take a few swallows every time it rings. If you don't like the no taste thing, throw in some citrus slices, cucumber slices, fresh berries, or whatever appeals. It tastes good. I use quart canning jars that seem kind of like huge glasses. I just keep one out where I can see it full of ice and water and my thirst mechanism does the rest. Also, enter your water consumption on the Fitness Pal. It's kind of fun to see the glass filling throughout the day.
  • arianamari3
    arianamari3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I keep a water bottle (for me it's a gallon jug) in front of me when I'm at the computer at work. Out of sight, out of mind. If I'm not seeing it constantly, I forget about it. I also put lines on the outside of where I want the water line to be at what time of day so that if it's 2pm and I'm not to the halfway point, I need to drink some more. It's good so that at the end of the day I don't have to chug a gallon.
  • Earthhorse
    Earthhorse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your coffee and tea can be considered part of your water intake. Another handy idea is to drink a cup of water before a meal or with a meal to help fill yourself up.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    All of these suggestions were SO HELPFUL!!! Thank you all!!! I'm going to try a few of these different ideas--the water bottle with the straw; putting cucumber/lime/berries in the water; the alarm. Thanks so much! I just felt inhuman for not ever being thirsty LOL I feel like I'm sabotaging myself and I want to change that.