New and looking to stay disciplined and accountable

Hi My name's April, I'm very new to this site, I just registered today. I have been able to lose about 50 lbs on my own in the last year and a half... I went from about 210 to 162 (this number goes up and down a lb or 2) by excercising and watching what I eat. I did home videos and was really dedicated... then in October of 2011 I got the news that I had thyroid cancer and had to under go a total thyroidectomy... since then I have managed to lose a few more lbs ( down to current weight shown above) but struggle to keep myself motivated and disciplined enough to keep working out.. I still eat as healthy as I can and am able to maintain the weight and not really gain, but I know that if i'm going to get to my goal weight I need to excercise... The Dr. has my thyroid undercontrol for now and I get regular 6 week check ups, I take vitamin d for my dificiency and iron for my anemia. I also take Adderall XR for my A.D.D. so I know that health reasons are NOT the reason for my "laziness"... in order to lose the previous weight I was following a few fitness programs all at the same time... I did zumba (complete body transformation) Brazil Butt Lift (the flat solution) I did some Turbo Jam Dvd's here and there but now I think I'm bored... I even purchased the new Zumba Exhilarate set, but that just isn't interesting to me anymore.. i'm bored of what I have and I can't seem to find anything else to really interest and motivate me like the previous videos did. I don't want to get a gym contract nor do I want to pay a gazillion dollars either... I really enjoy that people are taken aback when they see me for the first time in a long time and say how great I look, but then sometimes I think maybe their reaction is what kinda makes me feel like... "okay this is good enough"... lol... 160 is not my goal nor is it a healthy weight for my 5'4.5 inch height, so I want to get to where I want to be... I just don't know how to get there at this point... I think that by joining this site I may find some inspiration and or motivation to stay accountable to someone other than myself and the people who knew me at my heaviest... someone who isn't impressed by where I'm at, but rather who will be impressed by what I will acheive... I know this book I just wrote might seem a little overwhelming, but if you're up for the challange...please add me and I promise that I won't give up if you don't expect me to!
Thanks!

Replies

• Hi April, I think I can help you out. Me and my friends are ALL on this journey together so we have a facebook group where we keep each other accountable. Right now its called 92 Days of Summer and that's where you start posting your workout pics. Folks that are doing different videos such as the Beachbody programs you mentioned and Slim in 6, Turbofire, etc. and INSANITY are all on here. This will help you jumpstart your workout regimen etc. There are folks that are training for the Marine Corp Marathon as well and post their running or strength exercises. I personally think you need a high intensity interval training workout to bring it up a notch and bring your heart rate up. Do me a favor and send me your facebook name and I can add you or shoot me an email: florsum@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Florence
  • 30forApril
    30forApril Posts: 49 Member
    HI Florence, I appreciate your input, however believe it or not... I actually do not have a facebook!! lol.. weird I know.. but I do prefer to not have a facebook page, just because I would rather keep my attention on what is really important to me.. I find that facebook draws my attention to other things that I dont really care about...haha.. A>D>D>rememer... but I do like to ideaof what you and your friends are doing... I would like to add you as a friend on MFP if that's okay?
  • genele11
    genele11 Posts: 1 Member
    It sounds like you have been on quite a journey. Sometimes videos get old, have you tried going to classes? Some gyms let you pay by the class or buy a bunch of classes without having to sign a contract.
    I lost my baby weight, the first time, with Turbo Jam and now I am doing Insanity to get rid of the baby weight this time. I am also a Zumba instructor, which might be another thing for you to think about, making up your own routines is a lot more fun than watching the same videos over and over again.
    Sometimes you also may need to revamp your 'diet', Take Shape for Life (Medifast meals) is a great way to lose weight fast and in a healthy way and once you get to your goal you slowly 'wean' your way back to eating normal healthy meals.