How do people cope on 1200 calories p/d?!

Options

Replies

• KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1200 a day, I can't eat more without feeling stuffed!
  • Pfeiffer24
    Pfeiffer24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It was hard for the first week.. I had to learn not to add extra food and portion control.... but not I can eat 1200 and feel full.. its all mental.. think about the familys in africa that survive on practically nothing
  • KasieLoo
    KasieLoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    try to eat at least every 3 hours to keep your metabolism in check. Then you won't get so hungry & end up stuffing yourself. (been there done that plenty of times)
  • CycleCarolina
    CycleCarolina Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Only way I can do it is... excessive amounts of exercise!
  • jamcnabb
    jamcnabb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    burn about 600 calories through activity and then it will be about right.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    The doc actually put me on 1200 c/p/d...

I feel alot better cutting out processed foods...
    eat alot "greener" or "purer"
    The doc also told me to cut wayyyy back on carbs (this is helping on so many levels, more energy, chronic pain, so no flaming please)
    When I eat salad, I usually don't log it, but I log everything else, because no one got fat from eating too much lettuce LOL
    (but thats my theory)

some days its easier than others, but I really am happy with it, and it's working for me! :)

Ronney

I just saw your food diary how in the world do you live on 60g of carbs?
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else notice that they feel crazy hungry right after eating?

Argh, I'm just so sick of this :( my stomach literally hurts right now from hunger. I have granola and natural yogurt pre-made (by me) for breakfast tomorrow, half a tin of tomato soup and one wholemeal pitta bread for lunch, tortelloni and gnocchi for dinner tomorrow. Yet, I am dreading tomorrow because I know I'm going to be hungry!

It's even harder living in a house where people don't eat very healthily. And getting offered foods that I shouldn't really eat, or that aren't trackable.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Homemade (low calorie) soups also help a lot. Zucchini came into our garden in full force several weeks ago. I diced it up with a tomato, onions, and a little (very little) potato, salt and pepper to taste. It was yummy and filling. This week, I've been doing a lot of grilled veggies. Again, dice them up, put on an aluminum foil liner (or a grill basket), a little cooking spray, salt and pepper. I have been grilled zucchini, mushrooms, and onion. I even splurge most nights and have a small baked potato...love my spuds!

Good luck on your journey!

Oh, that sounds lovely! Thanks for the idea - I love potato too!

I did L.A. Weightloss years ago...had a lot of success, but I could only eat 1/2 cup of potatoes, and only 3 days a week...that made me sad :frown:
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    i eat a variety of foods and whatever i want, just the correct amount of it portion wise, and manage just fine on 1200 x
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    burn about 600 calories through activity and then it will be about right.

Ha! Me?! I can just about manage to burn 200.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I eat all day long on 1200-1400 a day. I just eat fruits, vegetables, salad with or without chicken, low fat/low cal dressings, I eat almonds, raisins, mixed nuts, fish, popcorn, just stuff that tastes good and is healthy. It also helps that I don't get bored with eating the same things daily lol. And I'll never deny myself a snack if I'm craving one, I'll just have a little snack, like low fat frozen yogurt.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    try to eat at least every 3 hours to keep your metabolism in check. Then you won't get so hungry & end up stuffing yourself. (been there done that plenty of times)

I don't believe the metabolism theory, but eating every three hours will help with my hunger/need to eat. But how do I fit it into my goal :/ cos it means I have a smaller dinner..
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I am still losing @ 1800 calories a day btw, so you don't HAVE to eat 1200 to lose =)

This. Often I go over.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    You can have a look at my diary if you want , for one my breakfast is usually better oats oatmeal or nonfat yogurt which is only 100 cals, I also eat alot of fruits, vegetables, chicken, baked sweet potatoes, once you get used to it it is actually pretty easy to do, I usually have 300-400 cals in snacks and I still manage to stay at about 1200 cals a day.....
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I eat all day long on 1200-1400 a day. I just eat fruits, vegetables, salad with or without chicken, low fat/low cal dressings, I eat almonds, raisins, mixed nuts, fish, popcorn, just stuff that tastes good and is healthy. It also helps that I don't get bored with eating the same things daily lol. And I'll never deny myself a snack if I'm craving one, I'll just have a little snack, like low fat frozen yogurt.

How do you manage to eat nuts? I love nuts but just 30g of almonds is like 200 calories :/
  • haley6251993
    Options
    I'm supposed to be on a 1300 calorie diet, but I hardly ever eat that much. If you eat a bunch of low calorie foods like veggies and fruits then its a lot easier to stay within your limit. I hardly ever go to bed hungry, but if I am hungry in the evening, I eat a bowl of cereal and that usually helps.

Also, the more you exercise, the more you can eat so if you feel hungry, go get some cardio in and then you can eat enough to satisfy your hunger.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I really don't have a problem staying around 1200.....feel free to check my diary if you want meal/snack ideas
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've drastically reduced carbs, I eat my protein first and OFTEN. I go over my protein requirements fairly often as I'm pretty sure 63grams of protein is the minimum needed each day and well, I need more. I crash pretty hard without food/sustenance. I drink a lot more water, and when I'm not eating protein, I eat vegetables. Fruit last. Also, when I do have fruit (or veggies) I make sure I eat protein first.
  • budrock1
    budrock1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories p/d and I actually have calories left over most of the time. I'm diabetic so I eat a few small meals every -4 hours. It takes a little planning but it's not hard. Most of my small meals are around 250 calories. I eat a lot of veggies as snacks if I'm still hungry. I even have a serving of sugar-free ice cream almost every day!
  • heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies!! Also, you can make a huge egg white omlet with veggies that will satisfy you for hours.