Can any women recommend good gym shoes?

Options
I welcome opinions from guys too, but I know that often shoe needs are different based on physiology. Currently I have an okay pair of cross-trainers, but I think they're just not tough enough for the beating I've been putting them through. My husband and I go to the gym Monday through Friday, usually doing some weights before hitting the bikes and then the elliptical. That's where I'm running into trouble. With my current shoes (which are nearly brand new), my toes start to get tingly about 10 minutes in on the elliptical, which is obviously not good. I just think I'm not getting enough support from them.

So...good shoes for general workouts. Something that can take a beating, but isn't mega expensive. Suggestions?

Replies

• AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks. My feet are wide and they come in wide sizes and have a bigger toe box, but I'd suggest that you go to a sports store and try on a few different brands to see what fits you best. It took me 32 years to discover Brooks, and now I won't wear anything else.
  • wildcelticrose
    wildcelticrose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If your toes are tingly, the first thing I'd check is your lacing.

Lacing shoes too tightly across the top cuts off circulation and causes toes to go numb.

I used to do this to myself with my running shoes all the time.
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    Makes sense. I have a very high instep, so it's difficult to get the shoes comfy without having the lacing too tight there. Worth a shot, though.
  • desireofathena
    desireofathena Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I welcome opinions from guys too, but I know that often shoe needs are different based on physiology. Currently I have an okay pair of cross-trainers, but I think they're just not tough enough for the beating I've been putting them through. My husband and I go to the gym Monday through Friday, usually doing some weights before hitting the bikes and then the elliptical. That's where I'm running into trouble. With my current shoes (which are nearly brand new), my toes start to get tingly about 10 minutes in on the elliptical, which is obviously not good. I just think I'm not getting enough support from them.

So...good shoes for general workouts. Something that can take a beating, but isn't mega expensive. Suggestions?

Nikes!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I love my nike lunar glides. But sadly- i dont think its your shoes! You have your laces too tight! :)
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    You guys are probably right. I'm just enough of a dork for that to be the problem.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have soucony's and love them. They are running shoes.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Try using an incline elliptical instead of a regular one. I found that helped my tingly toes immensely :)
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just purchased myself a pair of Ryka Transitions and I love them!!! Comfortable from the start -- no breaking in required. At least not for me.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My pink Reebok New Balance are my favorite! Stylish and comfortable. One can't go wrong there ;)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

A lot of people get tingly toes on the elliptical from the position that it has you running in - not your sneaks
    switch to the treadmill if you can or run outside and see how that goes

HOnestly I wear two different shoes to lift and cardio. I love pumas to run in and I either wear no shoes to lift in or I wear chucks
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks. My feet are wide and they come in wide sizes and have a bigger toe box, but I'd suggest that you go to a sports store and try on a few different brands to see what fits you best. It took me 32 years to discover Brooks, and now I won't wear anything else.

Are you me? All of this ^^

Even if it is your laces, you will one day, again, need good shoes.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Merrell's that have the Vibram sole. But you really need to try a lot of stuff on-- I've had great luck at REI testing out different shoes until I figure out what's good for me.
  • webarr2003
    webarr2003 Posts: 20
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I do the same thing too. When I read your post I thought oh wow thats why I'm getting a tangling in my feet from the new shoes I just bought. Mines are Nikes, their very comfortable since the last shoes I busted out in under three months from doing alot of walking. Has been happening to me often since I started working out. But I went to Shoe Carnival and the guy was very helpful with finding shoes that meet my workout and everyday needs. Also they are having a sale where it's buy one get another pair of shoes half off. Just to let you know, the guy told me you don't have to buy the other shoes at the present time they give you all the way to September to buy the second pair half off just as long as you have the recipt.
  • 120byfall
    120byfall Posts: 7
    Options
    I am 100% in LOVE with my Nike Pegasus 28s. No matter how sore I am, I can put them on and feel perfectly good enough to go run! :D
  • weepoorsoul
    Options
    I suggest trading in your shoe laces for bungees. That is not the name but you should find them at a running supply retailer. I have the same problem with tingly feet on the eliptical. I prefer speed walking on a treadmill with the incline set high enough to make it challenging. If you choose to leave the eliptical you may want to have your feet and your gait looked at to determine if you need corrective inserts. It may or may not be worth the extra cost to you depending on how much time you are working out.
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    Well loosening the laces didn't help much. Toes took a bit longer to go tingly but they still did, and my knee was hurting...then again, I think I need better socks for more cushion. I may also try those bungee laces :) I still think I need new shoes, but that's just because I don't think mine were intended for the amount of wear I'm putting them through.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I love my nike lunar glides. But sadly- i dont think its your shoes! You have your laces too tight! :)

I have the Nike Livestrong Lunarswift ones and I love them.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    A lot of people actually have problems with their feet tingling and toes going numb on ellipticals - it usually has to do with the way you are standing. Make sure your weight is evenly distributed and you aren't placing too much weight on the balls of your feet, also moving your toes periodically throughout your workout may help some.

I wear Brooks Glycerin and love them!

If you live in an area that has speciality stores for running/walking shoes, check it out - in Texas we have New Balance, Run On, and Luke's Locker. Those specialty stores ask all kinds of questions and watch you walk to determine what shoes will work best.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ryka is made for a woman's feet but I found it took about a month for the sides to get soft enough to wear them without pain. Puma is another good brand. As is Nike and Sketchers.

I don't care for New Balance although some women swear by them. I think they're meant for a wider foot.

Also - make sure you replace them often enough. If you're exercising several days a week, you can't go more than 2-4 months without getting new shoes. You can really hurt yourself if you don't.