Recovery drinks

Options
Hi! Anyone use recovery drinks after workouts? What exactly are they supposed to do? Favorites?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Nope, most of them are just a whey protein supplement with some sugar put in it and the word 'recovery'on the label.

The theory is the sugar creates an insulin spike which will shuttle nutrients into your muscles and help them recover faster.......for most people however this is just more sugar they could do without.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Milk. It's amazing. Sometimes I throw protein powder in. Not always.
  • innerspiraling
    innerspiraling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use First Endurance Ultragen after a higher-intensity, long (4+ hours) bike ride. I always feel better the next day when I do.

But really, for most endurance situations, milk, and if you need to replace calories, chocolate milk, is just fine.

I will try to consume something for recovery after any somewhat long (> 2 hours), intense workout...

For the average everyday workout, just try to make sure I'm eating appropriately around it.
  • lovep90x
    lovep90x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you! After the P90X workouts, Tony Horton mentions recovery drinks. I think I will drink some milk afterwards and see if I notice feeling differently or better. I appreciate the info!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I can never justify drinking them due to the insanely high sugar content in these drinks.
  • lovep90x
    Options
    I can never justify drinking them due to the insanely high sugar content in these drinks.
    Good to know! I don't need any more sugar in my diet, that's for sure.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I find that chocolate milk after a workout like p90x keeps me from getting TOO sore. Haven't tried regular milk because I just don't like it.
  • lovep90x
    Options
    Chocolate milk is exactly what I am going to try.
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I find that chocolate milk after a workout like p90x keeps me from getting TOO sore. Haven't tried regular milk because I just don't like it.

Same here.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I love Muscle Milk Light (chocolate). It's only 150 calories, 3 g of sugar, 20 g of protein and it's lactose free. It's thicker than milk (so it doesn't upset my stomach first thing in the morning) and absolutely delicious. And Costco sells it by the case. Works for me.