Changing weight loss speed

Hi there! Just a quick question. I originally started out my weight loss with over 50 pounds to lose, approximately 4 months ago. I set my weekly goal at losing 2 lbs per week, and have so far lost 41 pounds! I keep reading the guidelines about how much you should lose per week based on how much overall you need to lose. So my question is now that I'm under 10 pounds to go, do I need to change my weekly goal to 1 lb per week? I didn't want to slow down at all, as I'm so close to the finish line. My net calorie intake per day is still at around 1300 calories, and I'm feeling good, I feel like I get enough food. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Yes. Change to 1 pound a week. As you get closer change to 1/5 pound a week. Basically it will make it where you become used to your new size and life style gradually.

It is not a race, you don't need to sprint to the finish line. It's more like docking a ship, eventually gotta cut the engines and coast in.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    I'd say at this point in your progress that 1 pound/week is a bit healthier than 2 lbs as it should be as hard to shift to a maintenance when the time comes.

Though "maintenance" is really a hard thing to ever do. You basically micro yo-yo from that point on if you are to maintain a weight.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Though "maintenance" is really a hard thing to ever do. You basically micro yo-yo from that point on if you are to maintain a weight.
    What are you talking about? Do you consider normal fluctuations "yo-yoing"? That's unrealistic.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    What are you talking about? Do you consider normal fluctuations "yo-yoing"? That's unrealistic.

I think he means once you reach a goal weight, it is difficult to keep your daily calories to an EXACT level to keep that weight exactly the same forever.
  • Absolutely you should be changing your goal- even 1 pound per week may be hard at this point. BUT- that doesn't mean that progress is not being made. Are you engaged in physical activity? If not, I would highly suggest you start a fitness program as another step towards a healthy lifestyle. Your caloric intake should also increase is you implement exercise, don't make the mistake of keeping calories severely restricted while exercising. Even 1300 seems a little low- you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot my killing your metabolism (by not consuming enough calories). Congratulations on some great progress so far, and good luck with the rest of this journey!
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Most people say that they have a difficult time getting those last few pounds off. I'd say keep it the same becuase your body may slow down the process for you. Also, I'm not sure how much you are working out, but another option may be to adjust your workouts. Of course, I don't know because I have never made it maintainence. Keep us informed!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member

I think he means once you reach a goal weight, it is difficult to keep your daily calories to an EXACT level to keep that weight exactly the same forever.

That's what I meant.
  • Sounds great, thank you all for your input! I have changed my weekly goal to 1 lb per week, which I believe should be okay at this point, because the 50 pounds overall was to get me to the upper end of the BMI for my height. So an extra 5 pounds lost would be better for me. As of right now, I have approximately 15 pounds to lose, so I will go with the 1 lb per week for right now, and maybe in 2 - 3 weeks, switch to 1/2 lb? What do you all think?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Yes. Change to 1 pound a week. As you get closer change to 1/5 pound a week. Basically it will make it where you become used to your new size and life style gradually.

It is not a race, you don't need to sprint to the finish line. It's more like docking a ship, eventually gotta cut the engines and coast in.

this.
  • Sounds great, thank you all for your input! I have changed my weekly goal to 1 lb per week, which I believe should be okay at this point, because the 50 pounds overall was to get me to the upper end of the BMI for my height. So an extra 5 pounds lost would be better for me. As of right now, I have approximately 15 pounds to lose, so I will go with the 1 lb per week for right now, and maybe in 2 - 3 weeks, switch to 1/2 lb? What do you all think?

Or should I just go ahead and change to 1/2 per week, now? I'm thinking that might be too much of a shock to my body.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member

Like how he put it!