How do people cope on 1200 calories p/d?!

Options

Replies

• igcarvajal
    Options
    I do the Herbalife shakes too - that helps much. I agree with you.
  • EllaKnows
    EllaKnows Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't know how to up above 1300 calories per day! I try to eat healthily and there are loads of filling meals with low cals, like 250 cal massive pea, barely & ham salad for lunch. Find tasty alternatives that work for you that are generally healthy and you're good to go. I need to up my cal intake though as I'm a growing girl :(
  • okosteck
    okosteck Posts: 1
    Options
    It is easier if you exercise and then gain a few hundred calories to eat. At the end of the day I like to hit the goal, but if I don't, and I am below 2000 calories, I'm happy as at least I'm not gaining weight. My meals are around 300 to 500. My snacks are around 150. Breakfast is usually 300cals with the following examples: (1) 1/2c plain yogurt, 1/4c granola, 1/2 c berries, and a drizzle of honey, (2) piece of toast with almond butter and jam with a piece of fruit, (2) fried egg, 2Tbsp of shredded cheddar, slice of tomato, 1/2 tsp becel margarine, on a slice of toast or english muffin. Lunch is usually 300 to 450 cals, usually leftover dinner, amy's frozen organic bean burrito, lean cuisine meal, a sandwich from the cafteria, salad from cafeteria. Dinner is usually 300 to 450 meat the size of the palm of your hand (4oz), 1/2 c rice or potato, etc, and steamed/bbqed/veggies. I found I had to be careful with the morning and afternoon snacks, which are important to have, in order not to get hungry and then overeat later or to cave into cravings for icecream. The 200 calorie nuts from Starbucks are okay, but a bit high. I am better at meeting my goal if my snacks are around 100 to 150cals, like 1/2 cup cottage cheese and berries, an individual yogurt, hummus and veggies, a hard boiled egg, 1/2 c edamamine, pear and 6 - 12 almonds, 1/2 of an elevate bar, etc. To be honest, I just started losing a bit of weight, and I did that by stopping the drinking of wine/alcohol in the evening, which made my hunger go up and my self control go down. This helped me stop overeating in the evening. The rest of the calories were good, as long as they were in reasonable portions and healthy choice. The plate rule works too: 1/4 plate for protein, 1/4 plate for a carb, 1/2 plate for a vegetable.
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    Options
    I did it for my first couple of months on mfp and it really taught me to use my calories wisely and that I don't always need the high calorie option (let's say a bagel) compared to a better option (sandwich thin) there are a lot of low calorie alternatives. For meats I only eat chicken, cut out all the others except for the occasional turkey sandwich; tofu is a reallllly good substitute. Now that I work two jobs and have started running more I've kind of been just eating what I want... Haha so I'll have to either get a better handle on my diet or start back on the 1200 again.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is Aubergine!

The purple vegetable, right?

How does it taste?

And what a cool alternative name!

ETA: Doh, veggie, not fruit.

It's alright like...I wouldn't be mad on it. I find it in a lot of American recipes but we don't really use it much here!

it's courgette in the UK. You get a LOT of it for very few calories, and it's delicious stir fried in chunks or strips, julienned into salads, layered in vegetable bakes, cooked in pasta sauces, the list is endless!! Goes great with parmesan too :love:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I just took a peek at your food diary, and you should get cut back on the fruit and dairy at breakfast time. Stick to protein and veggies and low glycemic carbs. Also add in some fat like olive oil or butter at breakfast. Spread your fruit calories through the day and have your bananas with some protein as your evening snack when most people crave carbs anyway.

This shifts in your diet will help you with daytime hunger.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I eat all day long on 1200-1400 a day. I just eat fruits, vegetables, salad with or without chicken, low fat/low cal dressings, I eat almonds, raisins, mixed nuts, fish, popcorn, just stuff that tastes good and is healthy. It also helps that I don't get bored with eating the same things daily lol. And I'll never deny myself a snack if I'm craving one, I'll just have a little snack, like low fat frozen yogurt.

How do you manage to eat nuts? I love nuts but just 30g of almonds is like 200 calories :/
    Blue Diamond 100 calorie pack almonds, 1/4 of a medium sized bag of Wonderful pistachios for 160 cals, and 1 box of Sunmaid raisins for 90 cals. I make my own trail mix too! Fills me up no problem!

^^ Yesssssss! Works for me too! :drinker:

There is a brand called Kors that sells serving sizes of trail mix for 170 calories. It's not a tiny amount either, they come in a big box and I just grab a bag almost every day on my way to work. I like to eat it towards the end of the day right before my workout. The best part is IT HAS M&MS IN IT!!!! Those five or six little M's make me so happy! And by the time I'm done with the bag I'm full so I don't need to go get a bag of more M's, I'm totally satisfied.
  • S108HAN
    S108HAN Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the key. I burn 750 calories per hour on a treadmill by brisk walking on a 10% incline. Also green vegetables add a lot of bulk e.g. two servings of Asda Bistro Salad for 44 calories.
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Im on 1200 cpd... lost my first 40lbs with weight watchers and switched to this because i was stuck and bored with counting points. I have come to realize... about 90% of the time, when i think im hungry, im really either bored, or thirsty. For whatever reason, drinking water is such a challenge for me... SO, i have recently discovered the K2O protein water mix. Its only 30 cals, has 5g protein and 5g fiber which REALLY takes away any immediate desire for food. Thats my secret weapon these days...
  • nmohara424
    nmohara424 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cut carbs and eat more a lot more fat and a little more protein. Check out http://eatingacademy.com/
    I was doing 1200- a day just counting calories and I was hungry all the time, I constantly cheated. I was introduced to low carb, Peter Attia and Gary Taubes by a friend who lost all his weight on a ketogenic diet. I read 'Why We Get Fat' and it changed my whole view on food. Now I am never hungry, don't have cravings and I am FINALLY starting to lose weight.
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I find myself struggling to eat healthy while trying to hit the 1200 calories goal. I just can't get hungry enough. So I stuff my face with extra cals to hit at least 900. What a dilemma D:
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you choosing? When I was first starting out with my calorie count after my first child in 2008 I gave up a lot because of the type of foods I was choosing. I was easily eating 1200 calories with prepacked meals/snacks. Now that I am keeping to whole foods, my calories stretch a lot longer. Most days I stay in the 1300-1400 range, but I could easily be satisfied with 1000-1200 range because the foods I am choosing are filling.

make sure you measure your portions, as well. I used to think a cup of pasta was a portion. It's actually 1/4 cup with most pastas. Rice is abut a 1/2 a cup, 1/2 a potato ect. Those calories tend to add up quickly. So does dairy.

Also, when I first start limit my food when trying to lose weight it takes my body a good week or two to get used to smaller amounts of foods.

These are just my two cents. This is my third time losing weight. First two times I had to lose 50lbs each after my two children. Fortunately, this time it's only about 10lbs.
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    I actually like it because it forces me to look at healthier alternatives to basically everything, which I really needed to do anyway, and now I have new favourite things. It does get a little harder when I've had a big workout I guess, but it suits me fine. :)
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you choosing? When I was first starting out with my calorie count after my first child in 2008 I gave up a lot because of the type of foods I was choosing. I was easily eating 1200 calories with prepacked meals/snacks. Now that I am keeping to whole foods, my calories stretch a lot longer. Most days I stay in the 1300-1400 range, but I could easily be satisfied with 1000-1200 range because the foods I am choosing are filling.

make sure you measure your portions, as well. I used to think a cup of pasta was a portion. It's actually 1/4 cup with most pastas. Rice is abut a 1/2 a cup, 1/2 a potato ect. Those calories tend to add up quickly. So does dairy.

Also, when I first start limit my food when trying to lose weight it takes my body a good week or two to get used to smaller amounts of foods.

These are just my two cents. This is my third time losing weight. First two times I had to lose 50lbs each after my two children. Fortunately, this time it's only about 10lbs.

I should also add that adding more protein and fiber into your diet will help, as well.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I stay around the 1200 calorie range. It's not hard, some days I accidentally don't eat enough because I'm full. It's about WHAT you're eating. I find alternatives like spaghetti squash in place of noodles or cauliflower alfredo sauce instead of regular. I end up saving calories in one area which allows me to have more food while getting what I need. Try adding more fiber. I didn't check your diary but that's what I do. :)
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Willpower and finding less calorie dense foods!
  • emotionalharlequin
    Options
    Hahaha I was actually thinking the opposite earlier - how do people eat more than 1200?! Unless I have a really bad binge day (which does happen occasionally), I find it hard to reach 1000, let alone 1200! I am incredibly jealous of OP and anyone else that can eat more! Gah!
  • kaedaza
    kaedaza Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A lot of WATER lol
  • creder91
    creder91 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm currently at 1000 calories to lose weight and get down to my goal. I manage to do so with protein/meal replacement shakes which are 210-240 calories per shake. In order to lower your calorie intake and stay full, you need to eat things with protein and fiber in them. They'll keep you full longer!
  • Versah
    Versah Posts: 7
    Options
    I know how you feel, 1200 calories doesnt seem like a lot, but its actually more about the food choices that you make. On an average day, I actually have trouble reaching 1200 calories because of the food choices I make, and I feel full, sometimes to the point where I dont want to eat more, which is why I have trouble reaching 1200 calories. Ill shoot you a friend request if you'd like, and you can take a look at my food journal to see what I eat to get an idea of how 1200 calories can keep you full.