HRM?

Options
I need advice. I am getting a calorie tracking device for my birthday coming up in a few weeks. Should I get a HRM or should I get a bodybugg type device? I do all different kinds of workouts from jogging and biking to muscle conditioning classes and P90 and JM videos, kettlebell, etc. I want to have an accurate calories burned number. Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• 4schrocks
    4schrocks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I could not love my Polar Ft4 anymore than I do. I would recommend it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRM's will only be accurate for cals burned during cardio workouts. Circuit training, strength training may be way off.
  • toulieb
    toulieb Posts: 8
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 as well while I like it.. I find that if I am doing some hardcore cardio, the sensors move and stops tracking. I also have big boobs (nursing my son) and feel like it gets in the way.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    A lot of people like Fitbits - I believe Bodybugg requires a subscription that's kind of pricey for what it is. I personally love my Polar FT7! I want a Polar Ft60 with GPS (for running) but that's a little more than I want to pay lol.
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I absolutely love it, and it does work when I am doing my strength training/circuit training. Well worth the investment :)
  • csc101769
    csc101769 Posts: 53
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT7 in today and plan on trying it out on my bike ride tonight.......I'm tired of the guessing game of calories burned, I want to know for sure :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I absolutely love it, and it does work when I am doing my strength training/circuit training. Well worth the investment :)

Yes it works, but the calories burned would not be accurate as your HR is elevated due to different physiological reasons, which makes the calculation in the HRM wrong for non-cardio activity.

HRMs use HR as an estimate for intensity then uses a V02Max estimate to help derive cals burned. The issue is your HR is not elevated due to the same reason so the intensity portion of the calculation will be wrong, and the oxygen uptake (V02Max) portion of the cals would also be wrong as the increase in oxygen uptake does not happen nearly as much durning non-cardio activity. This leads to an over estimation of cals burned.
  • JelaineO
    JelaineO Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :happy: So i have a question about heart rate monitors... can you wear them all day... such as wear the chest band with a polar during workouts and taking it off after then just wearing the wrist piece for the remainder of the day... will it track your total calories burned during the day?
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes it works, but the calories burned would not be accurate as your HR is elevated due to different physiological reasons, which makes the calculation in the HRM wrong for non-cardio activity.

HRMs use HR as an estimate for intensity then uses a V02Max estimate to help derive cals burned. The issue is your HR is not elevated due to the same reason so the intensity portion of the calculation will be wrong, and the oxygen uptake (V02Max) portion of the cals would also be wrong as the increase in oxygen uptake does not happen nearly as much durning non-cardio activity. This leads to an over estimation of cals burned.

THANK YOU!!!! Somebody else gets it. I can't believe the number of people who use hrm's, yet have no idea how they work, and what their limitations are. You can't just wear these things throughout the day, doing chores, at work, lifting weights, or walking in the park, and get an accurate reading. If you are one of these people who eat back their calories, you need to know this; otherwise, you are eating way more than you intended to.

Sorry if I come off as obnoxious, but this has been a huge pet peeve of mine since finding this site. So many praise these devices, but are using them incorrectly. They are great for what they can do, but KNOW what they can do.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    :happy: So i have a question about heart rate monitors... can you wear them all day... such as wear the chest band with a polar during workouts and taking it off after then just wearing the wrist piece for the remainder of the day... will it track your total calories burned during the day?

No. The reading it gives will be worthless.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    looking into buying one of these - how difficult is it to set these up? not very techy