Sodium....my "Aha" moment...

Options
I always say that I learn something new almost every day. Here is my learning curve for today. I proceeded to make a healthy lunch, made some yummy canned green beans to go with my wrap, logged my intake and wham= a monumental moment....
there is over 1330 mg of sodium in one can of green beans, I had no idea it would be that much. Note to self= rinse them next time!!

Replies

• smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have gone to using a lot of frozen veggies as well, steaming them. I started this because I made my daughters baby food and why buy sometihng special for her, so we just started eating them as well and I love them
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    I dont bother tracking sodium anymore I just keep my potassium high
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    LMAO yes rinse them next time. So funny cause I ate seafood mix at ONO BBQ today. My thought was fish and rice can't be too bad.
    But I logged it and it was so bad for me and I can not even had snacks today as a result. My lesson for the day is LOG THEN EAT.

Dang it.
  • Ardanassac
    Options
    I'm having AHAs of my own on sugar. I never realized how much sugar is in everything. Sure 4 grams here and there doesn't seem bad, but they add up. AHhh... FYI on sodium, a lot of prepacked foods totally kill on sodium content. For example, have you ever checked the sodium content on oh... idk Ramen Noodles? I don't like them, but their content for one serving is well over 1000mgs. It's so easy to miss important things on our food labels.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    rinsing them only takes away about 1/3 of the sodium (which isn't much when it had 1330mg sodium) get the no salt added canned veggies -- VERY LOW ON SODIUM! :)
  • karijoeide
    karijoeide Posts: 103
    Options
    My future plan will be frozen veggies only...or if I do buy canned, will definately look for no salt added or low sodium....grrrr!
  • rosiepor
    rosiepor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have become very aware of the sodium in foods as well!
    But if I were you, I would skip canned all together and go with
    the frozen microwavable steam in bag!
  • NickPineault
    Options
    If you want to salt your food, use unprocessed table or rock salt (Himalayan rock salt does the trick).

This kind of salt is actually good for your health and won't raise your blood pressure unless you are very sensitive to sodium.