Struggling with Binge Eating

Options
I'm on my third week of MFP and I've hit a very familiar road bump: I'm struggling with binge eating. I tend to obsess over what I'm eating and am very careful to plan out healthy meals for the day, but then I blow it all with a major binge. I know what I'm doing is wrong and I often feel ill afterwards, but I binge anyway.

I am grateful for any tips that can help me get a grip on my out-of-control moments.

Replies

• xellenx
    xellenx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eurgh me too! It's so annoying, yesterday I ate a whole jar of nutella AND a whole toblerone, I didnt even enjoy it! So annoying! No matter what I tell myself while Im doing it I can't help it. Sorry I'm not help, just agreeing lol :)
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, for some reason I always deserve food, so I've changed it to I deserve to look nice, so instead of planning my days around food, I plan my days around activities., like when and who I'm walking with. Instead of getting together for lunch, I get together to go shopping, even if it's just a t-shirt, or a bra! When I get bored I find it hard not to think about food, but that's when you have to really push yourself to clean out your closet or call a friend and get outside. Always remember that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a change, 6 weeks for close friends to notice and 12 for everyone else! Good luck with everything!
  • OdeToEmma
    OdeToEmma Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Soulmate? Lol.

Thanks for commiserating. It makes me feel better!
  • Carrie704
    Carrie704 Posts: 176
    Options
    Me too :( I keep gaining and losing the same 15 pounds and am back at the top again. I dont know how to break this cycle but need some help. I do know the busier I stay the less often it happens.
  • LoveVirginia
    LoveVirginia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same boat....uugh! That voice in my head tells me I can "restart" tomorrow after I satisfy this craving today and reminds me that I "deserve" it just today.

I'm working on denying that voice. We'll get it down I'm quite certain :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    This was posted yesterday. It's some tips to try to help you reduce/stop the binges. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637796-some-real-advice-for-bingeing?hl=binge
  • jvw317
    jvw317 Posts: 25
    Options
    I've struggled with it for years and what I've realized is the binges are tied to how I'm feeling that day. If I'm stressed, sad, anxious, whatever, I feel compelled to "numb out" through bingeing. If I ever feel those emotions, I do something I enjoy that is not related to food or I get the feelings out in some way. My favorite ways are boxing, writing it out, or calling a friend. There are a billion other coping skills to choose from, but those are mine. Just google it! There's a lot of information on the topic. Hope I helped a little bit...
  • mceldows83
    mceldows83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is all too familiar with me. And I am the worst. My binges are almost always fast food binges...:( I can't believe I am admiring that in writing. Anyways, it happens once a month and I just, for some reason, crave crave crave fast food. And when I give in, I really over do it. I have been really good so far this month, but the craving has already started to build.

A few things I try to do to keep my mind off of fast food is
    1: Start a new book to keep my mind busy.
    2: Buy extra fruits and veggies for my snack times
    3: Drink an insane amount of water to try to feel full

I would love it if anyone can tell me why my body craves crap food.

To all who struggle with binge cravings I feel your frustration and pain.
  • TexasBridgett
    TexasBridgett Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I saw your post earlier, wanted to respond, but didn't have much to offer. I struggle too, but have tried to just go to the gym when I have those urges to binge. It helps. Especially when I get home from the gym, I know how hard I worked to burn just 300 calories and it makes me only want to have clean, healthy foods in my body. And I'll totally allow myself to binge on spinach. Haha.
    Anyway, I stumbled across the article a few minutes ago and searched for your post again so I could share. I hope it's helpful.

http://lindawagner.net/blog/2011/04/how-do-i-stop-binge-eating/
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of us on here that do this. It's like self sabotage. i think sometimes i get too obsessed with what i'm eating, makes me jsut crave bad stuff. i find that when i am really busy with other things in my life i don't binge as much because i am busy and not thinking of food.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you are planning out your meals super super healthy with no treats then maybe try and fit a treat or two into your daily calorie intake. That way you don't feel deprived and go overboard.
  • Roos2104
    Roos2104 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you are planning out your meals super super healthy with no treats then maybe try and fit a treat or two into your daily calorie intake. That way you don't feel deprived and go overboard.

wish i could do this. but easier said than done for a lot of us.
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    Recommendation: read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Emotional-Eating-Geneen/dp/0452284910/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307407173&sr=1-1

Breaking Free from Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth It has helped me tremendously with my binge eating issues.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    I suffer from this and crash dieting and deprivation is the worst. I set my calorie limit to 2200 max. As long as I stay under that I consider that a good day. Also frequent meals seem to trigger me. I do better when I eat 2 huge meals a day opposed to 5 smaller meals a day.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try IIFYM and don't follow a deficit larger than 500. Have carb refeeds once a week at 200 under maintenance and you shouldn't have any problem with binging.
  • rachael52
    rachael52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I commiserate. Just don't give up. I went on a mini binge on the way home because I was really really hungry. And that's when I lose it. But I stopped myself (not immediately) and wrote a post to MFP instead and I'm getting my support right here right now. I feel as if every time we blow it, we get another chance right away. We can wipe it off the slate and pick up our diet or program or new habits because they are still right there in our heads... or on our ipods or laptops. Get support here, and maybe there's a good therapist out there too. I saw one and she helped me a lot.
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    Try sugar free peppermint gum :) Whenever I feel a binge coming on I just wack a couple of those in and it seems to work :)

You can't binge on food if you're already chewing :D
    and peppermint is an appetite suppressor anyway (or maybe I made that up :S not sure, I definitely heard it somewhere) :)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

wish i could do this. but easier said than done for a lot of us.

Not really. I've got a major self control problem and I manage. I can't buy a pint of ice cream and say "1/2 a cup two nights a week" or buy the candy miniatures and say "I'm allowed ONE per night". Yeah, the next thing I know I'm on the couch in a sugar haze covered in candy wrappers and an empty ice cream container practically licked clean.

I never buy more than ONE serving of something. If I want a treat I buy the tiny little single serving containers of Hagen Daz or I go to Winco's bulk section and buy a tiny handful of 'cheetos'. If it's in the house, I'm GOING to eat it. I know that and I keep it out of the house. Anyone who spends any time at my place has to deal with it. If they are a good friend/love me they'll get over it and understand it's like opening a bottle in front of an alcoholic.
  • Jumeka
    Jumeka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out and I am struggling with what to eat. I am raise very different in my house we always ate what we want. If some of you could message me back I would really love that thank you.