Night time over eating?

Options
Hey everyone, I need some advice.

Here's my problem. I'm a compulsive eater, but only at night...

Yesterday for example, I was perfect all day. Nailed the 150 squat challenge and was 200 under on my calories. Then at 10pm in a matter of five minutes, I ate an ice cream sandwich, a few chocolates and a plain flour torilla (who eats that?!! lol)

I try really hard to resist the urge but it's very diffidcult. I understand the mechanics of it, just don't eat them. But I keep doing it.

Any hints or tips?

Replies

• Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options
    Maybe eating something good and filling with those 200 calories during the day so that you are not hungry at night.

Plus - can you go to bed earlier? If I get hungry (too late) at night, I go straight to bed.
  • jennsavage88
    Options
    It's not hunger that's doing it, it's habit, maybe boredom? idk... maybe I should just sleep LOL
  • LSF2012
    LSF2012 Posts: 2
    Options
    I usually save a 100-200 calories for an after dinner snack. What I do when I start to feel hungry is, drink some water, let that settle in then have a snack, followed by some more water. Then go to bed, even if I'm not ready to go to sleep, I'm out of the kitchen area and would really need to make an effort to go grab something else.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating at night as well so I plan to do the bulk of my eating then. Solves the problem. I typically eat 2/3 or my calories within the last two hours before I go to bed.
  • carrieblue052
    carrieblue052 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's defo a habit, you need to kick, get a hot drink instead, read a book - 50 shades of grey or something, keep yourself occupied, cut down on what you eat late, have something if you must that is very low in cals. Eg a big cup of tea and 1 slice of toast.
    Run a bath and have a soak, brush teeth. And then get to bed.

There all the tips I can give x
  • jennsavage88
    Options
    Thanks everyone, those are all really awesome ideas! <3
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    maybe skip breakfast so you can have those calories at night.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have a high protein sweet snack every night -- it's planned and healthy -- my go to -
    chocolate protein powder (1-2 scoops depending on how many calories I have left) + pb2 powdered peanut butter + packet splenda + a little bit of water + cocoa powder --- mix all ingredients into a paste - freeze for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!

I usually have this around 8pm or so every night without fail. It keeps me from wanting to snack on bad stuff!

tonight I'm also having a serving of raw almonds so I'll hit my calorie goal. :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

NOOOOO don't skip breakfast!
  • fatpanda96
    fatpanda96 Posts: 77
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Yesterday I was doing awesome, and then all of a sudden after dinner I became this beast that just needed to stuff everything she could find into her mouth.
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    TAMMYCLARK62 Posts: 102
    Options
    It's defo a habit, you need to kick, get a hot drink instead, read a book - 50 shades of grey or something, keep yourself occupied, cut down on what you eat late, have something if you must that is very low in cals. Eg a big cup of tea and 1 slice of toast.
    Run a bath and have a soak, brush teeth. And then get to bed.

There all the tips I can give x
    Great tips....I will also try these....night time eating gets the better of me sometimes too
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Eat a skinny cow ice cream sandwich and dont feel guilty about it, you'll still be under.
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    TAMMYCLARK62 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have a high protein sweet snack every night -- it's planned and healthy -- my go to -
    chocolate protein powder (1-2 scoops depending on how many calories I have left) + pb2 powdered peanut butter + packet splenda + a little bit of water + cocoa powder --- mix all ingredients into a paste - freeze for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!

I usually have this around 8pm or so every night without fail. It keeps me from wanting to snack on bad stuff!

tonight I'm also having a serving of raw almonds so I'll hit my calorie goal. :)
    This sounds awesome!!!
  • Sopsongbird
    Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Skipping breakfast is not a good idea. Your body NEEDS fuel early in the morning to jumpstart your metabolism and give you the energy it needs to get going. I am a late night snacker also. I try to not have temptations in my freezer/fridge so that when I go looking for something to snack on, I either change my mind because there is "nothing to eat," OR I grab something healthy like raw carrots, celery, an apple, or something like that.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but what is your daily calorie goal? I just realized that since I have been eating a good amount of cals daily, about 1500 I do not binge later in the day. I also don't have the desire to binge. I am full and satisfied.

This is from a person (me) who can eat cake, chips, pizza and pie all at once! Maybe try filling up on protein and carbs from vegetables and other whole sources?
  • MicaelaFW
    MicaelaFW Posts: 63
    Options
    I have blood sugar issues and at night I tend to want to stay up later (enjoying the peace of children sleeping) the longer I am awake the hungrier I get. Being I stop eating around 7 or 8 pm, within 4 hours, I am ready for another meal. I have been trying hard to just make myself go to bed and chug water... so far, it is helping! The mind is powerful, tell it to do something and it usually behaves.
  • eyeforinfo
    Options
    I have found that a cup of green tea will sometimes override the night time urge to eat. Probably make it decaf that late at night.

During the school year my family was eating dinner a little later so bedtime and last meal of the day were timed closer together. Lately our dinner has been earlier with more time between that meal and bedtime making it tougher to avoid the late night eating, so maybe shifting your eating schedule might also help.
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I sense a troll in the room :noway:

I have the same problem! Rather than sweets try using the 200 cals for something healthy like apple slices and peanut butter or celery and peanut butter. Otherwise maybe find some low cal treats to satisfy your craving for sweets.
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    hi i have the same problem what you can do is alot like 400 cals just for that my sis suggested a protien shake they are filling and only 150 cals what ii do it alot cals and after ive eatten that i put myself to bed cause most likly you dont need its just habit good luck in you lifestyle change:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Skipping breakfast is not a good idea. Your body NEEDS fuel early in the morning to jumpstart your metabolism and give you the energy it needs to get going. I am a late night snacker also. I try to not have temptations in my freezer/fridge so that when I go looking for something to snack on, I either change my mind because there is "nothing to eat," OR I grab something healthy like raw carrots, celery, an apple, or something like that.

That's a myth, no science to back that up.. Look into IF (intermittent fasting).

http://www.leangains.com/

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

http://www.leangains.com/2011/03/intermittent-fasting-for-weight-loss.html

http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html