Help with eating less carbs!

Options
So I've been noticing lately that my carbohydrate intake is pretty high- I usually stay in the range of 250-300g per day. Normally, I'd just chalk it up to the fact that I'm an active person, but considering I'm on here and trying to lose weight, maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to lower my intake to about 150g of carbs- even less if possible- so I need some ideas! My carbs usually come from things like yogurt, whole grain bread, oatmeal, corn, rice, and fruits. Anyone know of any low-carb alternatives that will keep me feeling full? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jgkoutr
    jgkoutr Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, low carb yogurt or plain yogurt, veggies,almonds
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I ended up reducing carbs because I'm growing into an intolerance for wheat and corn products. So, I cut out whole grain bread for the most part, and I eat my burgers and chicken breasts between 2 romaine lettuce leaves with tomato, onions, mayo and a little cheese if I have it. Delicious. I didn't miss the bread at all.

I also cut out dry cereal. I will eat oatmeal in the winter, but it's too hot right now. Greek yogurt has quite a bit of sugar unless you buy the plain kind. Yuck, so I buy vanilla and just try to eat it in the morning.

I also cut out corn. I still eat sweet potatoes. Feel free to look at my diary for examples. I try to keep carbs below 100/day

Good Luck!
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Adjust your macros and eat more protein maybe? I am at 40-30-30. Lean meat and veggies have worked for me. I'll open my diary so you can look at it if you want. I ate 116g of carbs today and ate over 1400 cals.

I am not the expert, so someone may have better advice than me lol.
  • daisyyyy123
    Options
    I have the same issue, i just love bread and quiches and stuff, like I would pick a slice of bread over a slice of cake any day etc.

I've started swapping things like slices of bread for Melba Toast, which is like very thin French toast, and I think one slice of bread equals about 10-15 Melba toasts! Also, reduced fat cream crackers or water biscuits make a good alternative.
    With wraps, I have started using large slices of lettuce instead, so where I would have a dinner of for example, chicken fajitas with wraps I know fill a leaf of midget gem or iceberg lettuce with the chicken and treat that as a wrap!

also, I know it's a given but I sometimes try drinking a pint of water and eating an apple before a meal, as it will start to fill you up and you don't reach for as much carbs!

Hope this helps! good luck :) xx
  • divinexheirocity
    divinexheirocity Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Raw green beans are incredibly filling, with good fiber, and low carb. I personally am low carb so I do lots of raw veggies, protein, cheese (not overboard with that though), and big "meal salads". Shirataki noodles are also a great add-in to almost any snack/meal. They seem to fill me up for hours alone!
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I eat almost all lunches and dinners over salad greens instead of eating a sandwich for lunch and starch with dinner. For lunch today I had curried chicken salad over greens and for dinner I had a piece of grilled chicken over my take on a Cobb salad.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    eating more lean protein(chicken, fish, eggs, lean ground meat) helps me feel full. I also think that adding some healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, coconut, etc) help me stay fuller longer. Hope this helps.
  • tiggerunner
    tiggerunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Me too, Me too. I moved to Japan a few months ago and just having a hard time with carbs and diet on a whole.
    Not much here is low fat and I don't like too much of the Japanese food, so snacked a lot at first. Fruits and veggies are priced high, but now I am on track and just get what I want. The egg yolks are almost orange, so had to get passed that visual and greek yogurt was almost $6 for a 8 oz serving.
    Still am finding the proteins really do help with the cravings.
    PS: they have amazing bakeries everywhere, so I have to steer clear
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    cottage Cheese for 1 cup is 22 protein and 6 carb and I add low carb blackberries,raspberries on top. This is filling to me as a substitute for eggs sometimes.

I love roasted Jalapeno Hummus 2 Tbls mixed with 2 Tbls of Greek Yogurt I spread it on celery and it is filling to me. If I have extra calories I will spread the hummus over celery with cream cheese sprinkled with smoked paprika. I am addicted to Hummus and there are many flavors you just have to make sure to do portion control.

I use unsweetened almond milk to sub for milk.