Night time over eating?

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    As you know sleeping. Easier said than done especially if you are a night owl, but it's the best tip for night time eating.

I have to put a chair in front of the kitchen or some other kind of barrier to remind myself thats a no-go area after dinner.

I cant have a "healthy snack" at night because it sets me up for a binge.

Make a huge glass of ice water and suck on that during the night and make sure you have some sugar free gum around so at least your mouth is still moving.

Find something to really occupy your mind thats usually when I get on facebook, play a video game, or talk to friends. I can't watch TV too many yummy commericials.

Thats what has worked for me so far.
  • djbrink21
    djbrink21 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    maybe skip breakfast so you can have those calories at night.

That's TERRIBLE advice...ALWAYS eat breakfast.
  • paula_car
    paula_car Posts: 2
    Options
    lol been there done that! U gotta go to bed, and stay there!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I will be going to bed early, it's late enough so what the heck i can always read if i'm not tired right? Ok you try it and i'll try it and see how it goes, what do ya say?
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think that the point is being missed here... you ARE eating out of boredom. The kids are finally asleep or the daily chores are finally done and you have time to yourself. What are you doing with it? Sitting down in front of the TV, taking a bath, or going to bed all are just ways of doing nothing and getting bored. Then you start to think about food and start to eat what you have managed to avoid all day. You don't have to do that, just find something to do. Get a hobby. Something, anythng that will occupy your thoughts will get you away from the boredom and the bad habit of eating the junk.

yes
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Skipping breakfast is not a good idea. Your body NEEDS fuel early in the morning to jumpstart your metabolism and give you the energy it needs to get going. I am a late night snacker also. I try to not have temptations in my freezer/fridge so that when I go looking for something to snack on, I either change my mind because there is "nothing to eat," OR I grab something healthy like raw carrots, celery, an apple, or something like that.

skipping breakfast is not the end of the world. Read leangains.com

Good luck, I already tried pointing them that way.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Why? Complete myth, stop spreading bad info por favor.
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Yesterday I was doing awesome, and then all of a sudden after dinner I became this beast that just needed to stuff everything she could find into her mouth.

I AM THE SAME WAY!
  • happyhealthyash
    Options
    Not everyone likes it but, green tea really saves me, it's got 0 to 4 calories depending if you like your tea flavoured. Keep in mind honey and lemon all add up......as does sugar. Usually having something warm in my tummy is enough to keep me feeling fuller :-)
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    When I am really hungry at night...I have a hot cococa. It's just water, liquid stevia extract, and cocoa powder(unsweetened). It helps to quell my urge to devour reeses pieces like ET or M&M's etc.... Also I read an article about fat loss benefits of cocoa

http://blog.metaboliceffect.com/2011/09/07/cocoa/

Hope this helps...
  • ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes it but, green tea really saves me, it's got 0 to 4 calories depending if you like your tea flavoured. Keep in mind honey and lemon all add up......as does sugar. Usually having something warm in my tummy is enough to keep me feeling fuller :-)

Mmmm! I do that sometimes. A nice warm cup of green tea with nothing else in it or just a smidge of honey is what I go for. It does seem to help when I do drink it. Maybe I should do it more often... ~giggle~ :laugh:
  • tinyray
    tinyray Posts: 1
    Options
    My experience is that when I don't eat enough during the day, I get stupidly hungry at night and will eat ANYTHING that gets in my way! (I do this WAY TOO OFTEN) Your body WANTS a certain amount of calories and you might be eating crazily to get the extra calories, but before your body KNOWS you ate them, you are already consuming way more than you needed. Also, proteins help keep you more satisfied. I'd say to eat higher in lean protein at supper or snack to help keep the hunger down. Carbs often don't leave you satisfied so you might be craving at night because you didn't eat enough protein in the evening.
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    Totally agree with green tea.. and sleeping isn't such a bad idea either lol
  • EowyntheFair88
    Options
    The best thing about those foods was the chocolate...

Honestly if you don't want to eat it, don't keep it in the house! It's like an alcoholic wondering why he can't resist the urge to drink when he's in a bar. lol. I can't have those things around or I will eat them. I am rarely motivated enough to drive to the store for a carton of ice cream, but if it's in the freezer...

lol. Just get rid of things you don't want to eat one night when you're starving. :)
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

ummm....not a terrible idea. not everyone needs breakfast. I get up and do a 1 hour workout first thing in the morning and only sometimes eat breakfast after that. there's scientific backing for eating breakfast and not eating breakfast. do what your body tells you is right. if you're lethargic and can't function without it, eat it! If you aren't hungry and can wait until lunch, don't force feed yourself.
  • kelseyfmillwood
    Options
    I do the same thing. It's a bad habit. At night, I like to sit on my couch, watch TV, and eat everything.
    I did really good yesterday; worked out, ate good, then sat down and ate a bunch of random stuff. Trying to break the habit by drinking water and keeping only good food in my fridge and not getting up to get my keys and go get something from Taco Bell.

Good luck to you!
  • Powergirl123
    Options
    dude i have that problem too but i lock my frige and ony put out watermelon and water
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I sense a troll in the room :noway:

Not a troll. I simply chose not to subscribe to weight loss myths or handicaps.

You can lose weight without breakfast but there was a study just released showing more successful weight loss from not skipping meals, keeping a food journal, and eating at home more. Not saying you can't lose weight, you'll likely just be more successful by not skipping it
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/13/weight-loss-idUSL2E8IA68C20120713
  • elijahblue10
    Options
    I have the same problem. Exact. Here's my new idea; ok kitchen closes at 8 pm. Nothing can or will be ate after that.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I eat right before bed....and before anybody starts passing peach seeds, it's either a pre-bedtime meal or a post bedtime binge.
    That's my choice.
    My diary is open....look at the final meal every night.
    That's how I deal with it.