My scale keeps going up!!! Help!!!!!

Options
So for a while my scale said i was down to 163. I was very happy and motivated to lose more but now even though i'm not eating any different than before and still drinking mostly water( i'll have a soda or a glass of tea maybe once a week, if that), my scale keeps creeping up. I've been doing tons of yard work, so i haven't been excersizing, but i've got to be burning off way more than what i would just dancing in front of the tv 30 minutes a day. I've been working outside for hours dragging tress and cleaning the yard. I know some of my weight gain is from TOM but seriously, the scale this morning said i was back up to 169. Thats only 3 pounds from where i started. How in the world is that happening? I'm seriously frustrated and about ready to throw in the towel on this. I was so pround of that 9 lbs i had lost and it seems like its creeping back even though things are still the same. I should tell you also that most of my meals are cooked at home and i try not to eat fried foods. although sometimes i just have to give in. rarely and i mean rarely will i fry my meats Almost all of my meats are either baked, broiled, boiled,cooked on the foreman grill or just plain grilled. so i don't know how in the world the scale is going up. any tips or recipes to help me out would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    sometimes the body has to play catch up. and sometimes that can mean retaining water, waste, etc. hang in there and stay true to your goals. you know what to do... keep doing it!
  • Herbalifekim
    Options
    Try Herbalife!!
  • snake13211
    snake13211 Posts: 23
    Options
    Maybe you're keeping your water weight, just keep at it and I'm sure everything will work out :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating, but 6 pounds could be a normal daily fluctuation. Be patient and diligent. It's also a little difficult to advise without knowing your weight/height and seeing your diary.

Edit: If you're on your period, avoid the scale at all costs. It will just *kitten* with your head. Weigh yourself once that's over and done with.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but it can be difficult to count the number of calories burned by an uneven activity like yard work.

Do you use a scale when you're cooking? Count everything including fruits and veggies? Make sure not to nibble if you're not going to count it?

Some could be water weight, too, since you've changed your workout routine and exercise soreness can coincide with water retention.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    More careful measuring of your food. Especially when you cook at home, it is easy to overestimate what you've eaten (did I eat 1/6 or 1/4 of the meal, etc). This can put you over by a few hundred calories without noticing. And if its TOM, you can hold on to several pounds. Drink water and wait to see if you are really gaining.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I would try a week of logging every bite you eat, everything. Then open your diary and ask for observations about what you're eating. And as someone else wrote, fluctuations are normal, so it may be that your weight will be down in a few days.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but it can be difficult to count the number of calories burned by an uneven activity like yard work.

You'll need to open your diary so we can see it, but this is a good point.
  • DaniBecker
    DaniBecker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My weight can go up or plateau also. It is at these times I really try to track what I am eating/drinking and what my activity level is... I have found I am probably not eating as clean as I should and more carbs/calories than I need. I have also noticed if I don't get my heart rate up with active cardio I am not burning what I need to. My metabolism is extremely sluggish and I too have to work so hard for a pound or two. I also really pick up water weight for about 2 weeks sometimes prior and during that special time of the month, and my weight won't budge then. But as soon as I track my food/clean up my act things start moving again in the right direction. Just shake it up for awhile and it will turn around... don't give up!!! You CAN do it, tell yourself how worth it is everyday!!!
    Good luck!
  • kme2011
    kme2011 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Nerdy....I try to around that time. I usually avoild that beast of burden when i know its coming. however, i didn't realize til this morning that it was so close to that time. Stupid TOM.

but even without that (a few days ago) the scale was still creeping up. I know i've been slacking on my diary. Been canning soup for the past two days and working outside the rest of the week from like sun up til late in the afternoons.

I'm 5'4 and have been generally staying around the 165/166 mark for about a month now. it don't seem to be moving at all. i know a good 3 pounds is from the water retention b/c of TOM. But otherwise i would think the scales would be showing some results by now.
  • kme2011
    Options
    thanks for the help guys and gals. I'll have to start measuring more carefully and see if that helps. I don't feel like i eat a lot but i could be fooling myself.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I've noticed your diary is basically blank, and the 2 days I did find where you logged... you ate 800 calories total. If you were honest in your logging, that's way too low and you should be eating more. But seeing as it is mostly blank... I don't know.
  • xanjel
    xanjel Posts: 3
    Options
    If you're moving trees and what not, that extra weight may be muscle. Are your clothes feeling tighter than before? That's how to really tell.

My FAV Recipes

Chipotle Shrimp (or chicken)
    1. Purchase Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (in the hispanic section of most major grocery stores), miracle whip free, and uncooked boneless chicken or shrimp. If shrimp, make sure they have been peeled and deveined.
    2. Move oven rack to the second from the top, turn on broiler (450 degrees) and preheat for about ten minutes. (Can also be done on the grill).
    3. Remove three chipotle peppers from the can and chop very finely. Mix with 1 cup miracle whip free and add one teaspoon of the adobo sauce from the can of peppers. If you like your food really spicy, add more peppers. Put half of the chipotle mixture in the fridge to use for dipping sauce and use the other half for basting. DO NOT USE THE MIXTURE YOU BASTE WITH FOR DIPPING AS IT CAN MAKE YOU VERY ILL.
    4. Arrange shrimp or chicken breasts on broiler pan and coat with chipotle mixture.
    5. Place in oven and cook for about six minutes.
    6. Turn and coat with mixture again. Cook for another six minutes. Shrimp will be done at this point. Chicken breasts will require at least another twelve minutes, possibly eighteen depending on how big the chicken breasts are. Be sure to turn them and recoat with the sauce every 6 minutes.
    7. Serve with dipping sauce on the side and enjoy. This recipe is almost pure protein and tastes DELICIOUS.

Dijon Horseradish Tuna Steaks on a Bed of Spinach
    1. Purchase dijon mustard, ground horseradish (refrigerator in the produce section of most grocery stores), tuna steaks, baby spinach, and a lemon (or lemon juice).
    2. Preheat indoor or outdoor grill (if outdoor, purchase the criss cross wire wracks used for grilling vegetables).
    3. Salt, pepper and garlic the tuna steaks. I tend to use a generous amount of pepper and garlic, but less salt.
    4. Spray your indoor grill or the wire wrack for an outdoor grill with Pam nonstick cooking spray - very important or your fish will stick and fall apart.
    5. Mix 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp horseradish and the juice from one lemon (3 tbsp). Set aside.
    6. Rinse spinach and set aside to dry.
    7. Put fish on grill. If indoor grill that cooks both sides simultaneously, cook for 6 minutes if you want it rare to medium rare, 8 minutes for medium, 10 minutes for medium well to well. If an outdoor grill cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side for rare to medium rare, 5 each side for medium, 6 each side for medium well.
    8. Put spinach on a plate and top with fish, drizzle dressing over the top and enjoy.
  • kme2011
    Options
    ok so i opened my diary. And i did actually measure my food for dinner tonight. Lets see if that is gonna help.

zanjel...those recipes sound amazing. I'm gonna try them for sure. I have to chipotle's in the pantry now. that might be supper tomorrow night. lol As for my clothes, they seem to be getting more lose. When I'm home (which is most of the time b/c i'm a stay at home Mom) i wear stretchy waisted shorts around the house to work in because i make a mess before it gets clean. lol So when I do get to wear my nicer clothes they are fitting better. So i'm hoping that it is because its muscles and not that i'm actually gaining it back in fat.

And i caved a bit. had a tasty snack that i shouldn't have. Stricter rules for tomorrow.