Does anyone have a blood pressure monitor? recommendations?

Options
I was looking at one to use to monitor my blood pressure, I was going to cardiac rehab and they were taking my blood pressure there to make sure it didn't get too high (actually it's rather low) but just looking for suggestions, I would like to be able to check it myself.

Thanks,
Kristine

Replies

• mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a "ReliOn Auto Inflate Digital Blood Pressure", purchased at Walmart for about 40.00. Pharmacist recommended it. It is an arm one, not a wrist one. Its great, easy to use, and stores several readings in the memory. Also can detect abnormal heart rhythms. I am on a beta-blocker, and was told I should have my bp checked every few days. :)
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    I think you should talk to your doctor about this. Mine told me NOT to get a monitor because he thinks you can cause yourself more trouble by trying to control short term changes in blood pressure. His advice was keep on your medications and watch your diet and four checks a year will be plenty. This is NOT medical advice to you -- but an encouragement to talk to your doctor.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I plan to ask on Monday when I see my primary. I quit going to rehab and don't really want to "control" things, but just monitor where I am at after I get done working out, since that's mainly what they were doing.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I have the Omron 3 series, and I really like it. It's small, works on AAA batteries, and works quickly.

I agree about talking to your doctor about it first. It's normal to have periodic highs and lows throughout the day, and your doctor will teach you how to take your measurements correctly and what time of day he/she wants them done.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have the Withings. It hooks up to my iPhone and I can e-mail Doctor the numbers anytime he wants them or when it is too low and needs medicines reduced. I love it.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I tried and returned 2 WIthings - couldn't get consistent readings from them. I was very upset, too, because I REALLY wanted it to work.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I have a "ReliOn Auto Inflate Digital Blood Pressure", purchased at Walmart for about 40.00. Pharmacist recommended it. It is an arm one, not a wrist one. Its great, easy to use, and stores several readings in the memory. Also can detect abnormal heart rhythms. I am on a beta-blocker, and was told I should have my bp checked every few days. :)

I second this one. I got mine about 7 years ago when it was about $25.00. It always matches the doctor's readings, even now. A heads up on the wrist monitors; if you have to pump up pretty high to begin with, they often re-start automatically, then give an incorrect pressure or error out. That was my experience with the wrist monitor I bought. Best to buy one you pump up yourself with a digital read-out.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I have the Omron HEM-780 and like it quite well. It came with an adult/large cuff. Most come with a medium cuff which is just a tad too snug for me to get a proper reading. So be certain that the cuff will fit you. I tried a unit that was about $20 less but since the cuff was too small I would have had to spend another $30 on a large cuff. I just took it back and got the HEM-780. Then I drove by my doctors office and had the nurse give me some training. She took my pressure manually and then with my auto unit and the readings were incredibly close. So she taught me how to use it and now I check once a week. With the change in my diet and activity level I have gone from 140/90 to 120/70 in 3 years with no meds.