Lost my desire to eat

Options
Okay so most of my life I have lived to eat and thoroughly enjoyed food, especially sweets and breads. I started MFP about 6 weeks ago and have lost 11 pounds so I'm super excited about that but I find that I am having to force my self to eat. I'm now just eating to live. Nothing sounds or tastes good. I find my calories dropping lower and lower each week because the thought of food just makes me sick! Anybody else experience this???

Replies

• meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    no, lucky!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yes and I have heard a lot of others say it over the past 2 years.

You are changing the dynamic of your body. Amazing........you should def eat. High protien, 5-6 small meals. I remember mentioning this to a group of friends about a year ago, and one of them said to eat anything.........and it kicked my system into wanting food.

You have taken the "mmmmmmmm I want to eat a fat greazy cheeseburger because it will make me feel gooooood inside" and turned it into..........."what shall I eat that will energize my body"

It will pass.......Oh and GREAT job on the 11 pounds!!
  • gwainwright
    gwainwright Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah, totally with you on that one - be careful though it may go the wrong way for you. I'm making sure I'm staying around the 1200, but have to try harder and harder. Try drinking juice to make up the calories.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yeah, totally with you on that one - be careful though it may go the wrong way for you. I'm making sure I'm staying around the 1200, but have to try harder and harder. Try drinking juice to make up the calories.

oh and Milk is good too.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    On the days where "Meh, NOTHING sounds good", I'll chug an Ensure. At least it will keep nutrients in your body. Today is one of those days.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. I basically stopped eating for 2 weeks, as nothing sounded good to eat. I later found out that this occurred due to severe depression. I was extremely stressed due to work and school. I'm not sure if that applies to you, but definitely eat something to maintain nutrients in your body. Drinking an Ensure is a great way to keep the calories low and the good stuff high!!
  • amathus
    amathus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. When I first started dieting, I did the same thing. I would end up with 300+ calories left at the end of the day, and I just didn't want to eat.

It ended up with me plateauing with my weight loss. I had to "overeat" for about a week, and put back on about four pounds, before I started to lose again.

I still have moments where I want to skip those last few calories, but I force myself to eat, or drink, something.

I
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a little like this now............ and have in the past when I'm losing weight and feeling good! The sense of gaining control over your body is very empowering and getting close to feeling thin is intoxicating! I've eliminated so many things from my diet, sometimes there's not much left to eat!

I have lost a good chunk of weight and want to keep going for 10 lbs. more. AND keep it all OFFFFFF!!!! :bigsmile:

But we need to keep nutritionally supported!!! Please drink plenty of fluids: water, juice or milk with protein powder, ground flax seeds with almond milk for ex. A protein bar is also an easy bit of food to digest.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    YES!!!

Be careful though. You don't want to binge...your mind might not like the idea of food, but your body could soon take over. Our bodies are smarter than we are.

Also, you should enjoy food! It's nice not to revolve your life around it, but don't hate it. It may be you're afraid of what it could do to you, Try to find a balance...I think that's healthier. Especially if you enjoy "good for you" foods.:wink:
    (Personal Experience)
  • thica03
    thica03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    you described it perfectly.........

I'm feeling a little like this now............ and have in the past when I'm losing weight and feeling good! The sense of gaining control over your body is very empowering and getting close to feeling thin is intoxicating! I've eliminated so many things from my diet, sometimes there's not much left to eat!
  • SHERRYDAVIS3472
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. The thought of drinking milk makes me gag... lol BUT, i do love cereal so had a bowl of that for lunch today. As far as depression, well, you may have just hit the nail on the head. It didn't dawn on me until I read that, but I did just start new anti-depressants about a week ago so I suppose that may be what is causing this! Thanks guys!