Please Please Please Pleeease

Options
Hey. So I admit.. six pound huge success for me since I've never stuck to anything and seen real results on the scale. But this week, I tried really hard to stick to my plan, and no weight loss. I mean, a part of me want to owe that too the unsteady hand on my cheap non-digital scale, put I of course let it ruin my day and gave myself a break on food/exercise worries yesterday. But I'm bounicing back, which I think is good. I'm gunna work really hard to reach my goal and I just had a question for the members that have lost so much weight, and credit MyFitnessPal. Did you lose weight every week? I mean, given, I may not have as much weight to lose, but I do have it. And I understand on weeks where one doesn't really stick to a plan, they might not weigh-in and see results. I'm talking about weeks where you worked hard, eat right, and still no weight loss? How did you remain encouraged after that? And, what excuse did yoou give for not seeing results on the scale that fateful week?

Replies

• cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    it would take me 3 months to lose 12 pounds. one week without loss is completely normal, especially if the first 6 came off pretty fast.

one more thing - if it is really bumming you out when you don't lose, i would recommend throwing your scale out, or at least only weighing in every few weeks. no need to put more stress on yourself when you are doing a good job.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm a lot older than you and it took me literally 8 months to lose 13 pounds. Working out like crazy, being diligent about calories. When you don't have a lot to lose, it can take a long time. One week really doesn't speak to anything. Have patience, keep at it, and it will happen (and no doubt faster than me!) In the mean time, hopefully changing your lifestyle will help you feel better and better in your body regardless of what the scale says. If you're diligent you will get the results. I didn't give up, and now I feel -- and look -- effin' awesome! Hang in there, sweetie. Don't give up because of one week.
  • Tessa0421
    Tessa0421 Posts: 2
    Options
    Im kinda in the same boat as you. I have been working out an average of 5 days a week for about a hr and i have been eating proportional meals and i've gotten to the point where my weight is starting to steady out. I haven't lost weight in awhile but my motivation is that ive been working out and even tho the scale doesn't show that ive lost weight i've noticed my clothes are fitting different and i know i will see results if i keep going. also its easier for me because i nanny for a family where the mom was up to 170 after she gave birth to her first son and now she is super toned and looks amazing, so i know it will pay off in the end! just keep going =]
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You gotta stick with it and surround yourself with supportive people and MFPers. It took me a full year to lose 50 lbs. I will admit to taking about three months off during that time. But still, it takes a long time and a lot of effort. You can do this!
  • SC74
    SC74 Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't think it's unusual to not lose weight in a week. Bear in mind that if you're exercising hard, you are also gaining muscle. For some people, muscle building happens first (I don't know the physiology, however). Having more muscle will in turn help burn fat. So don't get discouraged and just give it a little more time. If you think you've truly hit a plateau, ask for help with your diet and exercise plan; perhaps a change-up can help. Good luck and stay determined!
  • xanjel
    xanjel Posts: 3
    Options
    Okay, so I've lost 95 lbs since last September. There were weeks where I'd lose a lot of weight (up to ten pounds) and weeks where I actually gained weight, even though I was still exercising and eating healthy. One major part of my program has been strength training and even on weeks that I didn't lose any weight or gained, I still lost fat. During these weeks in particular, my body composition was changing. I'm building muscle and losing fat and it shows, in the clothes I wear (from a 3x to a 14), my self confidence, my self esteem, my energy level, and my capabilities.

Don't be discouraged if you did everything you were supposed to and didn't lose (or possibly even gained). Muscle weighs more than fat so you may lose a couple pounds of fat and add a couple pounds of muscle, but you'll still have lost an inch off your midsection (ok not an inch, that's an exaggeration, but you get my meaning).

On top of which, the more muscle you build, the more calories you burn each day, even if you're sitting still doing nothing. I was able to see dramatic trends. I'd lose weight for several weeks in a row and then I'd have one or two where it seemed as if I'd stalled, weight wise, but my clothes were getting loser and loser.

I still have about 40 lbs to go to get to my goal weight, but I'm over 2/3 of the way there since last September. You can do it as long as you stay motivated. Don't let this week get you down.

I will also note that there were a few times since September when I plateaued, as just about everyone does when they are working out. I changed up my routines at the gym, pushed myself harder and farther and added some things to my life that are just fun and burn calories. Most recently, I decided to learn how to roller skate. That was back in March and I roller skate 2 or 3 times a week now for about an hour and a half, two hours. This is in addition to my regularly scheduled work outs. And it's so much FUN! Add things to your life that you enjoy or think you might enjoy that get you off the couch and out living. That's my BEST advice!!!
  • xanjel
    xanjel Posts: 3
    Options
    One last thing. Remember that your body is going to retain some water for a week or so each month. This just part of being a woman. I usually notice the very next week though that I lose more than average as I shed that water weight.
  • SC74
    SC74 Posts: 33
    Options
    I came across this post that discusses how cutting carbs and increasing protein helps with more rapid weight loss that might be useful to you. I know it got me thinking!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656601-i-found-an-easier-way-to-lose-weight
  • TaylorJadey
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Very encouraging. I'm going to keep at it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!