Am I Exercising Enough? (Revised)

Options
I am going to repost this, as the last time most people thought i was bragging, when i am honestly looking for advice. Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly...

Am I exercising enough?
Am I challenging myself enough?
Am I mixing it up enough?
Am I eating enough?

Or am I doing too little of all of these?

About Me:
28/F
176 (My current and highest weight ever)
5'6
Goal Weight: 140

My pic is from Lake Powell 2 years ago, it's my motivation for losing weight. The only thing i've changed in the last 2 years is I've taken a desk job from retail. The constant walking I was used to is now a distant memory and I am sitting sedentary at my desk for 8-10 hours a day. After work, a fun Bodypump class and and hour of cardio is what I need to destress! Than I come home, make dinner and go to bed at a decent hour. On weekends, I relax and go out and don't watch what I eat as much.

As today is my first time ever posting something on MFP, I am NOT looking for attention. If you want to start a fight go elsewhere, please and thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is my current Exercise Routine:

Monday (2 Hours)
Spin - 60 mins @ 5:30
BodyPump - 60 mins @ 6:30

Tuesday (3 Hours)
Yoga - 60 mins @ 11:30
Body Pump - 60 mins @ 5:30
Cardio - 60 mins @ 6:30

Wednesday (2 Hours)
Weights - 60 mins @ 5:30
Spin - 60 mins @ 6:30

Thursday (2 Hours)
BodyPump - 60 mins @ 5:30
Power Yoga - 60 mins @ 6:30

Friday, Saturday, Sunday
N/A

This is 3 hours of cardio a week.
This is 4 hours of weight training
This is 2 hours of yoga.

Thank you for POSITIVE COMMENTS!!

Replies

• jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i think the most important thing is to note how you FEEL

do you feel strong and energized throughout the day, or drained and overworked?
    i think it's awesome that you are able to commit all that time to the gym! good for you!!

I didn't check out your food diary, but i would just make sure you are getting the right foods that will give you energy for your workouts, and don't feel guilty eating back some or all of your calories your work off.
    IMO, every person is different when it comes to eating back your calories - some peple will lose more weight eating them, and some won't lose any weight eating them.

Basically, if you feel you've hit a plateau, try switching something up. if you feel good and are getting the results you expected, then that's awesome and i wouldn't change anything.

keep it up, lady!!
  • 30forApril
    30forApril Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing this workout routine? perhaps you've plataeu'd as I have? i am 5'4 and weigh 162 this a.m., not the heaviest i've been by far, but also not a healthy weight for my stature, If you've been on the same workout regimen for a while it might be time to change it up again? I would think that you are working out enough time, but then again I am not any type of expert at all.. It sounds to me like you're doing enough though... I just know that it's easier to lose weight faster when you are really overweight or obese than when you're close to your healthy weight.. it takes a little more effort...
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am going to repost this, as the last time most people thought i was bragging, when i am honestly looking for advice. Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly...

Am I exercising enough?
    Am I eating enough?

Or am I doing too little of all of these?

About Me:
    28/F
    176 (My current and highest weight ever)
    5'6
    Goal Weight: 140

My pic is from Lake Powell 2 years ago, it's my motivation for losing weight. The only thing i've changed in the last 2 years is I've taken a desk job from retail. The constant walking I was used to is now a distant memory and I am sitting sedentary at my desk for 8-10 hours a day. After work, a fun Bodypump class and and hour of cardio is what I need to destress! Than I come home, make dinner and go to bed at a decent hour. On weekends, I relax and go out and don't watch what I eat as much.

As today is my first time ever posting something on MFP, I am NOT looking for attention. If you want to start a fight go elsewhere, please and thank you.

Monday (2 Hours)

Tuesday (3 Hours)

Wednesday (2 Hours)

Thursday (2 Hours)

Friday, Saturday, Sunday
    N/A

This is 2 hours of yoga.

You're doin' great. Keep up the good work and don't worry about the haters.

Must really be cutting into your sitting on the couch, watching TV and eating Cheetos time, though. :happy:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned, I do not think you are properly fueling your metabolism.
    PM sent......good luck!
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I never thought you were. I just thought there was a little jealousy going around. :huh: Bobby gave you good advice. Good for you for not tucking tale and running. Glad you are here and hang in there.:flowerforyou:
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Your body does need rest days, so taking 1-2 days a week off from working out hard is beneficial. What you're doing during the week looks good. Obviously going out and having a social life is good for the soul as well. Three days off from exercising in a row and not tracking your food might be impacting both your weight loss and energy levels when you go to the gym Monday and Tuesday. My suggestion is to try to be active on Saturday or Sunday morning, but it doesn't have to be at the gym unless that's all you enjoy doing. Colorado in the summer being hot, sunny and beautiful I personally would be outside hiking and/or cycling as much as possible. I do realize this summer has been extremely hot and had some forest fires as well, so that might limit what you can or are willing to do. Again, it was just a suggestion.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I thought the "swap volume for intensity" response from the other thread was a good one. :smile:
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    Yes I think so. :)
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Once again, would you mind posting how many calories you're averaging? I think we've established that you work out more than enough. If you're not seeing results, then the culprit is probably your diet.

ETA: sorry, I see you posted 1400 on the other thread. I honestly don't think this is enough but if you do perhaps you can look at what you're eating. Maybe its sodium or dairy thats causing the problem?
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You might consider using this calculator here. It may not be 100% accurate, but it should give you a better idea of how many calories you should be eating based on your activity level.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • DantiaX
    DantiaX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Check out the inches thing. The first thing I did was lose 4 sizes. Try eating cleaner too. Less to no soda, stay from super processed foods, and try to cut as many processed sugars as possible. I think you are doing really well with your exercise, so the only thing I can think of, like a few others, is maybe something in your diet. Keep up the good work and don't let negativity bring you down. =)
  • jlaurena
    jlaurena Posts: 60
    Options
    Check out the inches thing. The first thing I did was lose 4 sizes. Try eating cleaner too. Less to no soda, stay from super processed foods, and try to cut as many processed sugars as possible. I think you are doing really well with your exercise, so the only thing I can think of, like a few others, is maybe something in your diet. Keep up the good work and don't let negativity bring you down. =)

Thanks! I eat pretty clean currently, i'm thinking I could cut out more sodium though?!

4 sizes? ~jealous~ =)
  • dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Am I exercising enough?
    Am I eating enough?

Monday (2 Hours)

Tuesday (3 Hours)

Wednesday (2 Hours)

Thursday (2 Hours)

Friday, Saturday, Sunday
    N/A

This is 2 hours of yoga.

It's good you're including some weight training. If you've been doing BodyPUmp for awhile though, you've probably 'outgrown' it, and it's now limiting you, as opposed to helping you. Meaning: your body's adapted to the 'routine' and the pace. shake it up.

Lose BodyPump and start lifting free weights for real, on a weight program tailored for what you need, not a generic class.

Vary the cardio - and don't do more than 45 mins. Vary the cardio *type: no just spin. Do treadmill one day, cycle another, elliptical, etc. Vary the type of cardio, so your body doesn't get used to the routine. If you're limited to a single type of cardio because of access to equipment, then vary one of these elements in your cardio routine: intensity, or program. E.g.: intervals one day, hills the next, increase the level another. Something should change every day.

Do HIIT. 15-20 minutes, as part of your 45, at least 1x a week, if not 2. So, 20 mins HIIT + 25 'steady state' (e.g., spin routine). You will achieve more doing HIIT, in terms of revving your metabolism, not to mention increasing endurance, than these lengthy sessions.

Don't go above 60 minutes. Honestly, the law of diminishing returns applies here. If you can do it for an hour and not drop at the end of it, you're doing it too easy and too long.

Take one of your yoga sessions or cardio sessions, and translate it into a sessions outdoors, hiking or biking. Cardio is cardio, and doing it outside if the weather allows, is both fun, differently challenging and gets you fresh air/sunshine.