BODYPUMP?

Options
hey! does anyone here do body pump? the gym i go to is offering a class and I'm just wondering how effective/hard it is. i am used to running, so i know cardio.
also, what should i log it as for calories?
thanks!

Replies

• redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hey there I do alot of cardio as well, but in my gym they also body pump and total tonning classes that I do also because it has a bit of cardio, but alot of weight strengthing which you really need. The calories are on the gym website under the classes. I really do get a burn in those classes they are really good I would recommend you should try it you will love it :)

Nadia
  • skinnyallover
    Options
    thanks@ what gym webs tie did you fin that calorie counter on?
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and started Body Pump 22 weeks ago - have been doing it 2 times a week since (never consistently "weight trained" before). I usually add another toning class in a week as well. I have noticed a significant improvement in my endurance and stamina in my running. Since I enjoy running, I'm not out to look for big muscles or being really strong in the Arnold sense.

I haven't lost a lot of weight, but I have gotten more toned. It did take a while though. I probably didn't start noticing a difference until about week 8 or 9 - even though I would walk away from the workout sore ( a lot in the beginning). I gradually increase my weight for each set so sometimes I'm sore - but nothing like in the first two weeks. I personally just love it. I can't stand dealing with the weight lifting area so I just don't bother with it. This class helps me get benefits from light weight lifting without having to deal with the people lifting weights.
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sorry - didn't really answer your question - the difficulty is what you make of it. I say start small (really small - you'll be sore if you aren't used to weight training). I personally think if you walk away from a class without being slightly sore, you need to increase your weights next time.

Also - I sweat like a pig in the class. There are ladies who do it and don't break a sweat at all. That's fine - they're typically older and/or just getting used to the program or just want to take it light. It's really none of my business why they do what they do and I really don't care (other than I feel like a freak since I look like I got trapped in a hurricane after most BP classes) - but if you're maxing out without getting to a point where you're hurting yourself or doing the exercises wrong - then you'll have a good work out. And even if you just go light - well it's better than sitting on your butt watching TV, right?
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    L A Fitness
  • derekjnichols
    derekjnichols Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on Body pump- it's an amazing work out!
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    OMG, I love it!!! I recently started doing it. I used to just run and do a ton of cardio, but now I'm weight training and reducing the cardio a bit. It honestly really burns a lot of calories and tones you. It's pretty hard, but beginners can keep up. You can choose your own weights for your level. It depends on your instructor as well-some are easier than others. You should def try it!!
  • catsibiski
    catsibiski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do PUMP the at home version of BODY PUMP and I LOVE IT!!! It is amazing and I can easily incorprorate into my schedule.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I never heard of it, but from youtube it looks like a good class.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I adore pump classes - they make me take the lifting to further than I would go if I were just doing it by myself.

They make me feel strong and like my actual FUNCTIONAL strength is increasing. I love being able to increase the weights and manage more each time. LOVE IT!
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    I am hooked on Body pump- it's an amazing work out!

absolutely....awesome class

the calories burned, for me, are usually around 300-400 depending on the intensity.
  • jackijackijoyjoy
    jackijackijoyjoy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i started doing Les Mills' Body Pump at my gym last December. It's a phenomenal workout! i usually burn anywhere from 400-500+ calories per class. And the class literally FLIES by because it's so varied. Our gym does each program for 3 months before they change it all up. That makes it fun... and your body is regularly being challenged. I'd recommend you try it for a month before you decide for sure one way or the other.
  • stnave
    stnave Posts: 6
    Options
    Love this class! I reached a point where cardio just wasn't enough and I had to start building muscles.. it worked!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    BodyPump has been a excellent part of my program for about a year now, I definitely recommend it!

As someone else posted above, it is as hard as you make it. Start of with small weight and gradually work your way up until by the end of each track you can basically lift no more and you are out of breath.

BodyPump is great for additional cardio work and overall strengthening, not great for building big "I lift weights" muscles.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's fun. Go easy on yourself at first. I burned around 400 calories per class. That was at a healthy BMI.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do BODYPUMP at home and wear my HRM during it.

I love it
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm a bodypump instructor and love it. Here is the linky to the lesmills website with awsome info about all their classes:

http://w3.lesmills.com/westcoast/en
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BODYPUMP!

I am a huge pro-pumper. I started doing it years ago when I was 200+ lbs and it helped me to build a great foundation of muscle that when I cleaned up my diet and started running my nice toned muscles started to show :D

I don't do it nearly as much as I used to but I should get back into it. If you do this class 2-3x per week you WILL SEE RESULTS.

Start with low weights, and add when it starts getting easy. At the end of every track you should feel like you absolutely couldn't push any more reps. Or what I did was when I didn't feel sore the next day, I knew I needed to up my weights.

Love that class!!!

OH and I've used my HRM - I burn between 350-450 cals per class depending on how heavy I'm going.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I love this class, its my go-to class a couple times a week - It really is what you put into it - start with small weights to get your form down - and work up from there - depending on your weight etc and how much weight/intensity you put in - I can get about a 600 cal burn in an hour - Have fun!
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do it! You will love it! It is a great total body workout. Just make sure to start with lighter weights and that your form matches the instructors. I log my calories burned under the cardio. I use a heart rate monitor. I can burn anywhere from 350-500. Have fun and good luck!