christmas cookies

Options
lbpw
lbpw Posts: 77
so obviously its the holidays and one of my family's traditions is baking a lot of butter cookies or sugar. i reallyyy wanna make them, however dont want to ruin my acomplishments by eating them. does anybody have an recipes for making a healthier version so i can feel a lot less guilt by eating a few haha.

Replies

• auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can substitute pumpkin or apple sauce for butter and oil. I haven't tried that, but it may be worth a shot?
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My mom is a baker and she uses Splenda Sugar Blend for sugar cookies. It gives the same texture with half the sugar content.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    My grandma has made zuccini bread with applesause instead of butter. I can't notice the difference. But zuccini bread is different from sugar cookies so IDK how they would be.
  • Omnalu
    Omnalu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've made cookies with applesauce instead of butter or oil. I've noticed it makes a moister cookie and they stay softer longer. I made chocolate chip cookies almost two weeks ago, and I kept a few for myself. I still have a few and they're still soft and delicious.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Being a Christmas cookie traditional purist, I recommend making the real thing, then limiting yourself. My extended family has particular favorites that they like & there are so many people that I've learned to limit the number of batches that I make, then not gobble up a whole batch myself! :wink:
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sour Cream Cut out cookies

INGREDIENTS
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick), softened
    1 cup plus about 2 tablespoons sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup sour cream

PREPARATION
    1. On sheet of waxed paper, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.

2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until combined. Reduce speed to low and beat in egg and vanilla until blended. Beat in sour cream. Beat in flour mixture until combined, scraping bowl occasionally with rubber spatula. Shape dough into 4 balls; flatten each slightly. Wrap each in waxed paper and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight, until dough is firm enough to roll. (If using margarine, refrigerate overnight.)

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Keeping remaining dough refrigerated, on lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece of dough 1/8 inch thick. With floured 2-inch cookie cutters, cut as many cookies as possible; reserve trimmings. Place cookies, about 1 1/2 inches apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet. Sprinkle with some of remaining sugar. Bake 8 minutes. With wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

3. Repeat with remaining dough, trimmings, and sugar.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
    (based on individual servings)
    Calories: 35
    Total Fat: 2 g
    Cholesterol: 7 mg
    Sodium: 30 mg
    Carbohydrates: 5 g

Low Calorie Icing makes 24 servings

Only 24 Calories per serving. Tastes Great!! Easy to make in a hurry when you don't have any icing on hand.

Ingredients 3/4 cups of powdered sugar
    2 tbsp butter or magarine
    1 tsp vanilla
    food dye

Directions

1.Mix everything together with a hand mixer.

you can make different colors

place each color in seperate zip lock bags and refigerate until ready to use.

cut a small hole in the corner of each bag and decorate your cookies
  • arlene964
    Options
    That sounds delicious! I will have to try this recipe!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sour cream cookies! Thanks for the recipe!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love cookies that are only 35 calories each!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    How many cookies does your recipe make? I put all the info (minus the icing) into a recipe calculator for 24 cookies. Here's what I got:
    Calories 116.8

Total Fat 5.1 g

Saturated Fat 3.1 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.4 g

Cholesterol 21.1 mg

Sodium 56.8 mg

Potassium 20.5 mg

Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g

Dietary Fiber 0.2 g

Sugars 9.4 g

Protein 1.4 g
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick), softened
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup sour cream

PREPARATION

2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until combined. Reduce speed to low and beat in egg and vanilla until blended. Beat in sour cream. Beat in flour mixture until combined, scraping bowl occasionally with rubber spatula. Shape dough into 4 balls; flatten each slightly. Wrap each in waxed paper and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight, until dough is firm enough to roll. (If using margarine, refrigerate overnight.)

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Keeping remaining dough refrigerated, on lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece of dough 1/8 inch thick. With floured 2-inch cookie cutters, cut as many cookies as possible; reserve trimmings. Place cookies, about 1 1/2 inches apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet. Sprinkle with some of remaining sugar. Bake 8 minutes. With wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

Only 24 Calories per serving. Tastes Great!! Easy to make in a hurry when you don't have any icing on hand.

1 tsp vanilla
    food dye

Directions

bump
  • kasuki
    kasuki Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump, so I can find this again
  • stephcheers
    Options
    Bump :wink:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Reading up on vegan baking might help, because even though the amount of fats used is the same, the type of fats are different. I like my mom's method for cutting down on consumed calories: we'll spend a whole day baking (like today) and then once the cookies are cooled and decorated they all get packed up to go to other people! We keep a small portion for ourselves and end up rationing to make them last longer, but we still get that big bake fun.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sorry Ladies I need to make a correction to this recipe you should be using 1/2 cup of butter also about the servings I roll out my dough nice a thin not paper thin but you know thin so the cookies are nice and light and crispy I usually get about 80+ cookies if I use all of the dough all at once remember after you cut your cookies with a cookie cutter your going to roll out the dough and cut it again..you'll repeat this until the ball is gone... cookies should be 1/8 inch thick or a tad thinner.

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    butter or margarine (1/2 stick), softened
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup sour cream

PREPARATION

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

1 tsp vanilla
    food dye

Directions