Aussie supermarket fabulous finds!

Options
So I just bought myself a copy of the Women's Health magazine after seeing '125 healthiest packaged foods and drinks for busy women' on the front and had a gander!

Things are listed for gluten free, foods good for weight loss, muscle gain etc and these are the next few things that I will be adding to my shopping list!! Not that they are considered 'food' but they were in the mag anyway.

Lipton Green Tea Light - 4 calories per 500ml (artificial sweetener in this I believe... sorry about that!)
Flave Water, Peach - 2 calories per 500ml (sweetened with stevia)

My favourite recent finds in aussie supermarkets are -

Coles - Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk - 40 calories for a 250ml cup.
Woolworths - Vitarium Sugar free drinking chocolate - 9 calories for a big 15gm serving.
Farmer Jacks - Black Labels Tomato and Flame Roasted Red Capsicum soup - 63 calories per 300ml serving (85mg sodium)

Please comment below if you have found anything fantastic in your aussie supermarkets recently :) The soup may be tricky to find, however you may find it in your more gourmet pricier supermarkets (Usually $8 a sachet of 600ml)

Replies

• laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Pitango soups are brilliant. If you're picky about ingredients, they're mostly organic and every ingredient would be recognised by someone's grandmother. Oh, and the curries! I used to live on the vegetable korma which was, I believe, about 150 calories for a decent sized serve. The butter chicken curry was similarly low cal, definitely nowhere near the fat and sugar found in restaurant or make from a jar at home versions. Super tasty.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Sunrice makes heaps of different flavors of rice cakes. About 30 cals a piece. I keep two kinds in my desk drawer: Apple cinnamon when I'm craving sweet, and salt & balsamic when I'm craving salty.

Also, Greenseas and Cole's brand make MANY flavors of tinned tuna (95g tins), several of which are lower in kj. One of those and a row of Sakata wholegrain rice crackers = my lunch, for under 200 calories.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Sunrice makes heaps of different flavors of rice cakes. About 30 cals a piece. I keep two kinds in my desk drawer: Apple cinnamon when I'm craving sweet, and salt & balsamic when I'm craving salty.

Also, Greenseas and Cole's brand make MANY flavors of tinned tuna (95g tins), several of which are lower in kj. One of those and a row of Sakata wholegrain rice crackers = my lunch, for under 200 calories.

oh yes those sunrice cakes are the bomb! I see them in Woolworths now selling in packs of two which is great for me because if there is a whole pack in the cupboard, I will snack on them all day!
  • splucy
    Options
    Pitango soups are brilliant. If you're picky about ingredients, they're mostly organic and every ingredient would be recognised by someone's grandmother. Oh, and the curries! I used to live on the vegetable korma which was, I believe, about 150 calories for a decent sized serve. The butter chicken curry was similarly low cal, definitely nowhere near the fat and sugar found in restaurant or make from a jar at home versions. Super tasty.

ohhh chicken korma I will have to keep my eyes out for that one :) I love curry! especially korma!
  • JulieDillon83
    JulieDillon83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What does Almond milk taste like? I need lactose free but dislike the nutty taste of soy.
  • splucy
    Options
    What does Almond milk taste like? I need lactose free but dislike the nutty taste of soy.

I'm not a huge fan of the flavour of unsweetened almond milk however I disguise the flavour with vitarium sugar free drinking chocolate and/or flavoured protein shake.

I guess you could always add some stevia to it to sweeten it up? I hear people always saying that they enjoy the flavour of almond milk!
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    At Aldi yesterday, I bought a jar of Green Curry Paste. It's 99% fat free, and has only 10 calories per serve! Teamed up with some Light Coconut Milk at 120 calories for half the tin (assume you're cooking for two people), and your chicken and a few vege, you have a low fat, low calorie, high protein meal that tastes amazing.

Also at Aldi I came across some little tins of Tuna in spring water, and one with Tomato and Capers for something a bit different, each with around 111 calories per serve. Add that to a massive bunch of leafy greens, and you have lunch!
  • splucy
    Options
    At Aldi yesterday, I bought a jar of Green Curry Paste. It's 99% fat free, and has only 10 calories per serve! Teamed up with some Light Coconut Milk at 120 calories for half the tin (assume you're cooking for two people), and your chicken and a few vege, you have a low fat, low calorie, high protein meal that tastes amazing.

Also at Aldi I came across some little tins of Tuna in spring water, and one with Tomato and Capers for something a bit different, each with around 111 calories per serve. Add that to a massive bunch of leafy greens, and you have lunch!

Is Aldi like a eastern supermarket? Do they make all of their own stuff (Like they don't sell Heinz, Birds Eye etc)? I'm from Perth ^_^
  • Ayla70
    Options

Had never even heard of almond milk until I read it on here. I wonder if you could have it in coffee instead of regular cows milk...
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Orgran Mulitgrain Crumbs With Quinoa at Coles. At 34 Calories per serve, it has half the calories of normal bread crumbs. Also has the added goodness that Quinoa provides!

Used it to make a healthy version of Chicken Parma at home using tinned tomatoes and light mozzarella :)
  • Ayla70
    Options
    [/quote]

Is Aldi like a eastern supermarket? Do they make all of their own stuff (Like they don't sell Heinz, Birds Eye etc)? I'm from Perth ^_^
    [/quote]

Oh, I'm not sure now that you've asked. It used to be just in the big cities, but we have one here in my little town. They usually have imported or not-known brands of everything. But it's always good quality and MUCH cheaper than the big chains.

Isn't it amazing how big our country is!
  • blackgold86
    Options
    Aldi is only Eastern stats and ACT unfortunately :(

Aussie Aussie Aussie! Always love seeing the aussie/metric contingent on here...
  • Ayla70
    Options
    Orgran Mulitgrain Crumbs With Quinoa at Coles. At 34 Calories per serve, it has half the calories of normal bread crumbs. Also has the added goodness that Quinoa provides!

Used it to make a healthy version of Chicken Parma at home using tinned tomatoes and light mozzarella :)

Man that sounds good. Although I have no idea what Quinoa is or what it tastes like, but have seen others from overseas on here mention it a lot. What shop did you buy it from?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The Vitarium Sugar free drinking chocolate is OK to my taste actually ... I don't have much of it but if you need a sweet (stevia-based) fix I recommend it.

I'm just back from the weekly grovery shop and I could carry all the processed food in one hand, quite pleased with myself actually ...
  • Ayla70
    Options
    If anyone finds a calorie free replacement for Smith's crinkle cut plain chippies....let me know ;) They are the one thing I crave!
  • blackgold86
    Options
    "Man that sounds good. Although I have no idea what Quinoa is or what it tastes like, but have seen others from overseas on here mention it a lot. What shop did you buy it from? "

Coles Online. I have been getting thinds delivered once a week!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Had never even heard of almond milk until I read it on here. I wonder if you could have it in coffee instead of regular cows milk...
    The unsweetened Blue Diamond Almond Milk is very plain and could be considered a bit watery when you're not used to it. You can easily use it in cereal/porridge and I've used it with Chai Syrup to make a drink for a friend who said it tasted fine. It would probably be fine in an instant coffee - once you adjust to the taste - but I tried frothing it for cappucino and it gave a bitter taste.

Could definitely be used in protein shakes/smoothies.

Quinoa can be used like rice and can be found in the health food sections (and possibly with the rice and pasta) in Coles and Woolworths.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The green curry paste from Aldi - do you know the brand??
  • Ayla70
    Options

It says 'Asia Specialities'. It's a 195g bottle and according to the destructions you use 30g of it for a meal for 2 people. You could even use it for seafood. I'm looking forward to trying it.
  • splucy
    Options

It says 'Asia Specialities'. It's a 195g bottle and according to the destructions you use 30g of it for a meal for 2 people. You could even use it for seafood. I'm looking forward to trying it.

let us know if you are on to a winner! :)