Any Triathletes?

Options
dewell2
dewell2 Posts: 36 Member
I have been on MFP for close to a year now, have lost 50 lbs and I am getting ready to complete my first Sprint Triathlon in August. I am looking for other triathletes to share information, tips and to just offer support.

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! You're going to love the tri - they're addicting. Did my first sprint 2 years ago. Been training for my first Oly on Sunday.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Not tris, but I LOVE dus...can't fit any in my schedule, this year. Love that variety and leap-frogging those who are better or worse at one discipline...makes for a dramatic race, even for us slower folks!
  • dewell2
    Options
    I have heard about duathons. I have also thought about trying one of those too. Swimming is not a strong suite for me.
  • dewell2
    Options
    Thanks ka97! Good luck on your race.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have heard about duathons. I have also thought about trying one of those too. Swimming is not a strong suite for me.

I've never done a du either, only tri's. And my last one, the swimming just wasn't the challenge in a good way it used to be. Always slow at it anyway, but several from the 2nd wave passed me, and 2nd to last in my wave, thinking not worth it.

If you do tri and aren't feeling confident, confirm you can do for sprint distance 2 x the distance at race pace without issue. I've only done Long or International or Half, so I went for theory of doing 1.5 x the time at least during training. So slower, but knowing I could do more than expected time during event makes for confidence.

As long as that confidence doesn't have you burn yourself out on say bike when run is your strong discipline.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good job :on the weight loss!

I'm still losing weight, but training for triathlons. I swim, bike and run a lot on a weekly basis, so maybe we can share tips and motivation! Add me if you want :)
  • MichaelaAustin
    MichaelaAustin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did an try-tri last year (was 20 lbs lighter than now) and it was the scariest thing I every signed up for lol (I'm not a competitor) but before you freak out, there were people of all different shapes and sizes (weight and amputees) and everyone is there to do their personal best, and my experience was full of support from the crowd and my competitors (except in the water- someone was swmining on top of me for a bit). It's a really good experience. I would suggest start out training on each swimming, biking and running and work on your best consistent pace. Then build up to completing 2 tasks in the same day, and then three. If you're lucky enough to have a gym with all three you're set.

Also- transitions getting changed (if you are) is something to practice too. practice changing from being wet to getting your shoes on etc
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hey, Im doing my first sprint tri in 2 1/2 weeks! :noway:

I've been training since february and through the process, I've leaned 2 valuable things:
    1. I am RUNNER.
    2. I am NOT a swimmer! (I just hope I don't have an anxiety attack and drown before I even have a chance at finishing! lol)

I've told myself if I love it the day of the race, I'll think about more. But right now, I just love to run. And race and beat my PR's :bigsmile:

GOOD LUCK!!! We'll be doing both our firsts pretty close to each other, we can do this!!!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm a new triathlete. I've been looking for some folks who are doing swim/bike/run training. In the last 9ish months I've done 1 super sprint, 3 sprints, 3 adventure races that are mostly running/trekking/biking with a some water sloshing, and a couple duathlons. I attempted an Xterra, but I missed the cut off to do the run portion by the hair of my chinny chin chin. THAT is my race that I'm training for. I'm going to kill it next time. Have not gotten over not finishing that one. It's my motivation for everything I've done since then! Also would like to do my first Olympic sized one in November.

Congratulations on the weight loss, BTW. That's awesome! I'd definitely be popping in on any tri related thread.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

I like swimming, but can't afford the $$ or time (nearest pool is at the Y 25 minutes away and is $60/month for membership). As it is it sometimes feels like a struggle to train for 2 disciplines.

Pick up Gale Bernhardt's "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes." I really like that book a lot. It has different levels for all different lengths of du and tri, from sprint up to Ironman.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I am also doing my first triathlon (sprint distance) on August 4th. I've been running/biking since March and began to do swim training at the beginning of July. The swim portion is what has me most worried as well. I started taking OWS classes yesterday to help me feel more confident in the water.

Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I am also doing my first triathlon (sprint distance) on August 4th. I've been running/biking since March and began to do swim training at the beginning of July. The swim portion is what has me most worried as well. I started taking OWS classes yesterday to help me feel more confident in the water.

Good luck!

So do the classes give you access to a lake or something? That's nice idea. Here, they opened the lake 2 weeks prior for 2 days a week for about 1.5 hrs for practice swimming. Not the actual course, but they had buoys and you could do laps.

Sadly all the lifeguards said it was 250m loop, actually was 200m. Very great thinking you are faster than you are.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes I have access to OWS for lessons. Both where the race will be as well as 2 other lakes.
  • dewell2
    Options
    Hey, Im doing my first sprint tri in 2 1/2 weeks! :noway:

I've been training since february and through the process, I've leaned 2 valuable things:
    1. I am RUNNER.
    2. I am NOT a swimmer! (I just hope I don't have an anxiety attack and drown before I even have a chance at finishing! lol)

I've told myself if I love it the day of the race, I'll think about more. But right now, I just love to run. And race and beat my PR's :bigsmile:

GOOD LUCK!!! We'll be doing both our firsts pretty close to each other, we can do this!!!

Good luck to you too! You will do great. Relax and have a great time.
  • dewell2
    Options
    So do you all have any pointers for a more relaxing swim?
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I did my first in June and my biggest piece of advice is to do a couple open water swims if you can. Swimming was my weakest link and I practiced a lot in an Olympic size pool. I got to where I could comfortably swim 500M and then some. But when I got in the lake it was like all my training was out the window. The water was cold, there was people everywhere, it was weird not being able to see in the water, etc.. It was really hard. But the rest I was ready for!
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Good luck!

So do the classes give you access to a lake or something? That's nice idea. Here, they opened the lake 2 weeks prior for 2 days a week for about 1.5 hrs for practice swimming. Not the actual course, but they had buoys and you could do laps.

Sadly all the lifeguards said it was 250m loop, actually was 200m. Very great thinking you are faster than you are.

Reading this post sounded very familiar so I looked at your profile. We're neighbors!
  • dewell2
    Options
    Thanks Lindsay. Yes, I have gone to the lake a couple of times and have done some swimming and it sure is a whole lot different than the pool. @ Pkfrankel, I wish that they had something like that where I live. I tried to check into persons who could show me proper form but had no luck. I am not going to beat myself up if it takes me a lil longer on this first race.