Sugar issues

Options
LucyBzz
LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
Hi,
I'm really new here so please be gentle!

I am struggling with the amount of sugar I seem to be eating - I mean, it's "good sugar" in the sense that it comes from fruit etc but I have been over the daily "allowance" of sugar every day I have been tracking here! It says I should eat no more than 27g of sugar a day but I am exceeding that ...
For instance I have cereal with 200ml milk for breakfast and get 10g of sugar from the milk (minimal/none from the cereal), I eat a nectarine mid morning which adds another 10, so by the time I have some carrots with my dinner I am way under my "5 a day" fruit & veg allowance but way over my sugars.

I need calcium as I am at risk of osteoporosis, so cutting milk out won't help. I am not prepared to cut out all fruit & veg. Am I worrying unnecessarily or do I need to find some way of reducing the sugar that I'm consuming even when it's natural sugar in milk/fruit/veg?

LucyBzz

Replies

• frefrebelle
    frefrebelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hiya LucyBzz

Me too! I am way over, double the amount and that's pretty much thanks to two apples and milk.

Like you I am not going to remove all dairy from diet, nor fruit, for much the same reasons as you.

Anyone with a sensible answers please clue me in as well!

Freya :)
  • LucyBzz
    Options
    Hello Freya! It's good to see somebody else has the same problem. I hope somebody knowledgeable will come along soon and help us!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think the sugar tracing in here was meant to track added sugars... I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's fruit/dairy related...
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    for me, I started at 223 and was worrying about sodium and all those while trying to figure out the whole exercise and cal counting... so I stopped worrying about all the others... sodium, fat, and so forth. Sometimes it gets too much when you try to get the little things... focus on cals and exercise since youre new, then focus on the others little by little.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think the sugar tracing in here was meant to track added sugars... I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's fruit/dairy related...

I agree with the above. I avoid as much of the refined sugar as I can (my main weight loss strategy actually) but I'm almost positive nobody ever got fat from munching on the sugar in carrot sticks and apples. :)
  • natsgettingfit89
    Options
    I had this same question! It's been driving me nuts. I make a fruit and veggie smoothie after my workouts and there's so much sugar in it (it only has fruits and veggies...no juice or yogurt or anything. MFP says I should be getting 41 grams of sugar per day but I generally get between 90-95. I have no sugar in my diet that doesn't derive from natural sources. I'm so confused about whether I'm going way over my sugar limit or if I shouldn't worry since it's natural sugar.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you check my diary, I'm past my suggested every single day! I really made changes to try lowering it but after so many weeks I'll stay with what other say about not worrying too much if those are not sugars coming from candy, ice cream, chocolate powders, etc etc...milk, fruits...I'll just say this: it's almost impossible to be below that suggestion unless you quit many foods, which is not the case. I suppose calories, fat and carbs are more important and depending on your exercise, protein.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. I do. Even doing a reduced carb diet, I max it out every day.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    for me, I started at 223 and was worrying about sodium and all those while trying to figure out the whole exercise and cal counting... so I stopped worrying about all the others... sodium, fat, and so forth. Sometimes it gets too much when you try to get the little things... focus on cals and exercise since youre new, then focus on the others little by little.

This is good advice. If you're just starting out, get the basics aka regular exercise and tracking calories down first. When it becomes second nature, then you can worry about your macros. After that, start tracking micros, unless you have specific health problems (like tracking sodium to risk of heart disease, or something). Small steps are best, especially in the beginning.
  • demelza123
    demelza123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So get this - I was going to write a blog on the exact same thing - I came onto the community section of the site - after I had just plugged in my breakfast & lunch, which consists of fruit (peach) & cottage cheese - breaky. Then Cottage cheese, snap peas & apple of for lunch - and I am already 11grams over for tomorrow! The sugar allowance is driving me a little mental and wanted to reach out to other MFP'ers to see what the scoop is. Soooo all of that said - I am sticking with 'processed & added' sugars versus natural occuring sugars in fruits, veggies and unsweetned dairy. Truly it wasn't cause I was sitting there eating endless amounts of snap peas that got me to this current weight. Happy logging all.
  • LucyBzz
    Options
    thanks for the responses - I am a little happier now. Maybe there needs to be a way to switch sugars off, or to track "processed/added sugars" rather than natural ones!