Healthy Eating on Vacation

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been offered a really cool opportunity to go to New York City with my cousin and her parents. However, as much as I'd like to go, I am very hesitant because I'm afraid I'll gain weight. I have been working so hard training for rugby and changing my eating habits, and I feel if I leave my routine it won't be good. Since May, I have lost 13 pounds. I train 6 - 7 days per week.

We will be gone for four days (my lifting days) and I am unsure of how much access I have to a work-out area. Sure we will be walking around the city, but it will be nowhere near my activity level at home. I know they will be stopping at fast food places to eat on the road, and at various restaurants in the NYC area.

So, main questions:
1) How do you stay within calorie goals and eat healthy while away from home?
2) What are some ways to do this (i.e. portion control at restaurants)
3) Do you think I'm being too obsessive about training since I am considering passing up an opportunity such as NYC?

Sorry for the long-winded post, I'm just pretty torn here.

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    1) How do you stay within calorie goals and eat healthy while away from home?

Plan ahead, use the app when possible, and have common sense about the food choices I have.

2) What are some ways to do this (i.e. portion control at restaurants)

Portion control is a big one, but looking at the menu (which some restaurants have the calories next to the items), taking out unnecessary items (like mayo, dressings, replacing fried with grilled when available) helps too. Listen to your body- you've lost 13 lbs which means you know how your body is going to react when it's hungry and when it's not- don't over do eating and don't freak out and under eat. Knowing you will be lower activity level will help because you know that you won't need as much to eat as you normally would on those days (but be aware that there are times when the body just gets in a schedule and you WANT to eat no matter what your activity is).

3) Do you think I'm being too obsessive about training since I am considering passing up an opportunity such as NYC?

If you are happy and not hurting yourself there is no reason to feel you are obsessing. You know your body better than anyone else so you are the only one that can judge if you are over doing it with training. You do need to let yourself relax a little when you have an opportunity to do something - if you don't want to go because it interferes with what you are doing what is going to happen the rest of your life? Are you going to just do the same thing forever or are you going to live a little. You know what you need to do no matter where you go. Keep with that mindset when making dissensions. Good luck, great job on the weight loss so far, and have fun with whatever choice you make.
  • m4rings
    m4rings Posts: 2
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss, and for thinking ahead about your trip! Go on the trip (OK, I grew up in NY so I'm a little biased).
    1.Most fast food places offer salad and grilled chicken sandwiches. Since my problem is carbs, I've been known to remove the bun and hold the chicken in my hands to eat it if utensils are unavailable.
    2.. Choose wissely in a sit-down restaurant, and yes, it's ok to leave food on your plate (portion control)
    3. If staying at hotels, utilize the fitness room and pool. Make time in the morning or evening to do some kind of exercise.
    4. Drink water!

You've already done the hard part: thinking about how to do this the right way. You may not lose while on the trip, but you can maintain and not gain it all back.

I've lost 102lbs. and just returned from San Francisco. We walked everywhere we could, I made the best choices possible, and did have to eat way, way, way off plan sometimes (clam chowder and pizza!) I did not gain a single ounce! Relax, you can do this with minimal damage.
  • droolie2
    droolie2 Posts: 17
    Options
    You've got some great advice already! The only additional suggestion I can make (as a frequent traveler) is to bring some healthy snacks with you. That way if you are stuck on a flight or elsewhere where there are limited food options, you have something to tide you over until you can make a better choice. You won't end up starving and giving in to choices you will later regret! Jersey gal here...so I am biased too! On a really positive note, you have had the determination to get this far....we have faith that you can manage to have a GREAT time in NYC and be strong enough to keep to the Plan! xo
  • FeelingFroggy13
    FeelingFroggy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time traveling with my husband when he has to go to schools in other states. Most hotels will have at least a microwave in the room, or at least in their lobby. I take microwaveable cups of oatmeal, lean/low sodium soups, nuts, etc. I try to take enough food with me that I can eat breakfast and lunch from my own food stash and then splurge a small amount when I have dinner with my husband. I also try to make use of the fitness rooms as often as possible during a stay.

Eating out...that's hard. But if I have an inkling of where we are going in advance, I look up their menu ahead of time and pick out what the best option. I don't even need to look at the menu once at the table, because I know I will be tempted to order something bad for me. It's so much better to be able to think about it first.

Go, have fun...just be responsible with it. You can not stop your life just because you are getting healthy!!! You have to learn how to make this work the rest of your life. You can do this! :)
  • jatilmig
    jatilmig Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to post a similar thread - I am going away for 10 days - and I am very concerned - have just had a good week amd I just want to continue - My concerns mirror yours, but somehow it is easier for me to try and giver you my advice3 than re-assuring myself - go figure :tongue:

1. There are many fast food options i NYC but also many healthy ones - I think you should stock up on your favorite, trusted snacks - AND level with your family and say, you want to eat balanced while you are in NYC

2. If eating out, get your take home box WITH your meal and put half of the meal in there - stay away from the bread - you heard, no bread :noway:

3. Well it depends, will you regret not going to NYC with your family? If you are staying in a hotel, most of them have a small gym, where you can do a little work out - or bring a couple of hand weights, and go for it :smile:

I :heart: NY - I am sure you can do both, stay on course AND enjoy NY!
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 4 day vacation myself so I had to respond to your post. Before I left I was so scared that I would screw up and gain a bunch of weight. I've been working hard for weeks and losing weight very slowly and I gain weight so easily and was terrified that I would reverse weeks of work in a few days. On vacations past I've used it as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted and I was afraid I would go back to that mindset. But you know what, I made a commitment to myself and I actually didn't do too badly.

So first of all, you definitely need to go on the trip. Part of losing weight and being healthy is to kind of test yourself in situations like this.

So for #1 stay away from a lot of carbs with your meals. It just seems like carbs are where the calories add up. For breakfasts I got egg white veggie omelets with whole grain pancake (no syrup), or grilled chicken with an egg and tomato slices. Those kinds of things. I also tried to eat breakfast a little late and then just had a snack for lunch. For supper I was eating at friends' homes a few nights, so I couldn't choose my food, but I still kept portion control in check and didn't go back for seconds. I wasn't perfect, but I didn't blow it either. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be because I had made the commitment to myself to do it and I just did it.

For #2, try to get meals where the portions aren't that important. Like if you get fettuccine alfredo, you'll only be able to have a few bites before having a ton of calories, but it you get grilled fish, vegetables, a dry baked potato, you'll have a lot to eat and won't have to worry about portion control. Stick with lean meats, not a lot of bread/buns etc, and lots of vegetables, soups.

For #3, I wouldn't say you are obsessive, but you need to let yourself go have some fun. I think you are probably afraid that you won't get back into your routine when you return from your trip and that is a concern. But once again, it is all choices you make and you can do all of this successfully. Also, it is alright to take a few days off from working out. It might benefit you to rest a bit. And as others mentioned, you can still get in workouts at the hotel.

As others mentioned, tell the people you are traveling with your goals and hope that they are supportive.

So good luck and go have some fun!
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    One of the things I do while on vacation is to switch to maintenance calories for the trip. That way I'm not likely to gain weight,but I'm not setting expectations for myself that are unreasonable when I am less able to control my diet and exercise. By the way, don't knock the walking you will do... those calories add up!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice everyone :love: . I have to make my decision by today, and I think I will go. Heck, it's New York City!! I am from a town of 5,500 people, and this will be the biggest place I have ever been to (how cliche sounding :laugh: ). This will be a true test of how dedicated I am...I can do it!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Just messaged you; you are welcome to come to the gym with me while you're in NYC!