500 cals

Options
Every time i go to the gym i spend an hour & each time i can never seem to burn of more than 500 cals..... is this rubbish ?? what are the rest of you burning of in an hour ?? :huh:

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sure you can.
  • sugerfree2
    sugerfree2 Posts: 69
    Options
    Sure you can.

i cant (unless the machines wrong :bigsmile: ) I do 300 on the treadmill, 100 cross trainer then 100 bikes....
  • jkr12
    jkr12 Posts: 31
    Options
    Machines are rarely correct.

Get a HRM, then surprise yourself.

Or do the workout twice.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you burn is dependent on time and energy expended. I can cycle with my 10 year old son at 10 mph for 60 minutes and burn 300 calories. If I cycle with my cycle club at 17 - 18 mph I will burn 900 calories in the same time.

If you want to increase the calories burned increase time or effort
  • sugerfree2
    Options
    i no i did think on increasing times but i dont want to get to addictive with ''the gym'' & think 1 hr daily atm is enough... only hoping to do 4 days or even 3 coz like i say dont want to be come reliant & the gym become a chore !! Its weird because i found the cross trainer harder yet i counted 100 cals in 17 mins yet on the treadmill it takes me nearly 25 mins yet i feel as if i'm doing more on the treadmill/ working harder .... think i need a HRM (what ever that is :blushing: ) to measure ..
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I find I burn considerably more on the eliptical machine than I have on others. Usually 400 cal. in 30 min.
  • sugerfree2
    Options
    i no i did think on increasing times but i dont want to get to addictive with ''the gym'' & think 1 hr daily atm is enough... only hoping to do 4 days or even 3 coz like i say dont want to be come reliant & the gym become a chore !! Its weird because i found the cross trainer harder yet i counted 100 cals in 17 mins yet on the treadmill it takes me nearly 25 mins yet i feel as if i'm doing more on the treadmill/ working harder .... think i need a HRM (what ever that is :blushing: ) to measure ..

or should i be honest & say i no i wont stick at daily gym, dont want to 3 times is enough, just going regular atm to see some progress though its slowwwwwww .....:mad:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What's your current weight? I find (at around 140 lbs) that going flat out I might get to 600 cals per hour. So I'd say your 500 seems about right.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    What's your current weight? I find (at around 140 lbs) that going flat out I might get to 600 cals per hour. So I'd say your 500 seems about right.

Me too. Most non-obese people doing 'all out' cardio can't burn more than about 10 calories/minute.
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For some reason the elipitical says it burns more but I too feel like when I walk/run on treadmill, I feel it alot sooner and longer... But I usually burn 400 on treadmill at 30 mins...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Running non-stop for an hour I burn fewer than 500 calories, too. (I'm 135 pounds.) My husband, doing the same activity, burns over 900 (He's 200 pounds.) Everyone's burn rates will be different. Generally, the bigger you are, the more you burn...
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    I burn close to 900 calories jogging at 5mph for 60 minutes. It really depends on your weight too. I weigh 220!
  • d4rkn3ss06
    d4rkn3ss06 Posts: 57
    Options

HRM=Heart rate monitor
    the machines are almost always way off on how much you actually burn. Buy a heart rate monitor they are alot more accurate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why do you HAVE to burn over 500? my workout usually burns between 2-300, which is plenty for me...
  • mnb85
    mnb85 Posts: 3
    Options
    I wasn't burning much more than maybe 3 or 400 calories an hour but my husband got me onto the stair stepper and no matter how skinny or fat you are that thing is a beast! My husband is slender and in good shape and can burn a ton of calories on it an hour (I have seen over 1200 calories from him) but, then again, I walk up it, and he runs his butt off up it. It's all the amount of work you put into it, BUT the stair stepper and the rower burn them like crazy I have found for me at least! No matter what burning 300 is better than sitting on the couch eatting them!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

If you want to increase the calories burned increase time or effort

Or like I tell my wife who gets annoyed when I burn 600 to her 400 doing the same exercise.....

'you just need to put on an extra 30lbs'
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would say that was about standard for me, 500 calories, although I am happy with that, because it allows me to get my dinner in under allowance! That said, you would be surprised how many calories you burn just from doing "boring" things, I walk to my work every day, which is about 2 miles, and my fitbit said I had burned 450 calories.
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues, so I can't run, but I use the incline on the treadmill to up my burn. 60 minutes on the treadmill at a gradually increasing, then decreasing incline (I go to 8 right now), burns 400 calories at 3-3.5 MPH (I am 5'%" and weight 167). On days I want to burn 100 more without spending any extra time at the gym, I simply come home and clean my house for half an hour.
  • darthtata85
    Options
    i find cycling ill burn around 300 and swimming according to the stats i burn close to 500 but im not so sure on this as the intensity is open to opinion.

can i ask will a heart rate monitor give me an accurate representation whilst swimming???
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your current weight and age. The older the less you are going to burn. I know this from experience. :smile: