Question for those who have made cauliflower crust pizza

Options
I know that one of the ingredients for the crust is an egg but I am watching my cholesterol. Do you think egg whites would work?

Replies

• mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Whoa whoa whoa... cauliflower crust? That sounds AMAZING. Does that mean it's grain free?
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Egg whites work just fine, I never use whole eggs. enjoy! I love caulipizza

11269213.png
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the recipe I use is only egg whites.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I only use egg white, works fine
  • Jaxta65
    Jaxta65 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok this sounds good, never heard of it but love cauliflower and need some good recipes for it. so please where is the recipe you guys are using? And is it English friendly, I have no Idea how much a cup is so I never look at American recipes? Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    Ok this sounds good, never heard of it but love cauliflower and need some good recipes for it. so please where is the recipe you guys are using? And is it English friendly, I have no Idea how much a cup is so I never look at American recipes? Thanks. :flowerforyou:

1cup = 8oz ... ps google will do any conversion
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    is there a receipt for this....wud luv to try this out...
    can you post it..please
  • Jaxta65
    Jaxta65 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Thanks I checked it out before but I Found conflicting information on the amount. I just used google to convert oz as I ont use that either lol. So 227g It is then. :-)
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Whoa whoa whoa... cauliflower crust? That sounds AMAZING. Does that mean it's grain free?
    I've cobbled together 2 different recipes and find this works for one but is even better if you scale up slightly larger on the 'dry' ingredients and can just about serve 2 people:
    1/4 cup Cauliflower Rice
    1/3 cup Almond Meal
    Oregano or other pizza herbs
    Garlic Powder or Garlic Salt if desired
    1 Egg or 2 Egg Whites
    1/4-1/2 cup grated cheese (I use cheddar but could use mozzarella)

Mix together and pat out onto baking paper (essential) lined tray - the mixture is very sloppy so can really only be spread by nudging out with your fingertips. Cook at 180C for 15 minutes (until golden and bully). I try to let it cool for a few minutes before adding tomato paste and toppings (prepared while base was cooking) as usual then cook for another 10-15 minutes.
  • RoanneRed
    Options

Thanks I checked it out before but I Found conflicting information on the amount. I just used google to convert oz as I ont use that either lol. So 227g It is then. :-)
    1 metric cup is 250ml - a normal teacup is probably about right if you don't have a set of measuring cups in the house.
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've cobbled together 2 different recipes and find this works for one but is even better if you scale up slightly larger on the 'dry' ingredients and can just about serve 2 people:
    1/4 cup Cauliflower Rice
    1/3 cup Almond Meal
    1 Egg or 2 Egg Whites

Mix together and pat out onto baking paper (essential) lined tray - the mixture is very sloppy so can really only be spread by nudging out with your fingertips. Cook at 180C for 15 minutes (until golden and bully). I try to let it cool for a few minutes before adding tomato paste and toppings (prepared while base was cooking) as usual then cook for another 10-15 minutes.

thanks for the recipe :)
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup Cauliflower Rice
    1/3 cup Almond Meal
    1 Egg or 2 Egg Whites

Do you know the calorie count for your recipe? And cauliflower rice....? Can you buy it or do you have to make it?
  • izzy1969
    izzy1969 Posts: 9
    Options
    This sounds amazing!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    For mine I just microwave a bowl of frozen cauliflower broccoli mix, then put it in the food processor, after that i squeeze as much water out as I can from the mix using a teatowel.

Then I add up to half a cup of mozzarella cheese, one egg white and some salt and pepper. Mix up, then spread out as thin as I can on baking paper and bake until its brown.

Then I put on the toppings and cook some more.
  • RoanneRed
    Options
    Do you know the calorie count for your recipe? And cauliflower rice....? Can you buy it or do you have to make it?

The almond meal ups the calorie count but I just enter all the ingredients individually - you could save it as a meal after the first time, I should really do that. There are other recipes that only use cauliflower so they're a lot lower but I want to be able to pick the pizza up.

I tend to do a whole or half cauliflower at once then keep it in the fridge ready to use for this or instead of rice under other dishes. Briefly rinse fresh cauliflower and let drain (don't give it too much water as it absorbs it) then chop in a food processor until approx the size of rice grains - I don't have a processor so actually grate it by hand, time-consuming but that's why I do a heap at once. Microwave for eight minutes on high (I stir after 4 mins) - do NOT add any water - and it's ready to use or refrigerate.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Use the whole egg. Eggs seldom adversely affect cholesterol levels. But please share the recipe for cauliflower crust!
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    WOW I am going to try this!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Here is a post from earlier that gave a recipe. sounds delicious

There was a post here, yesterday, that linked to this website: http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/low-carb-pizza-dough-cauliflower.html

It looked like a great idea so I tried it today, for lunch, and wanted to come back and post about how wonderful it was-- but now I can't find the original post!

So here is a pic of the cauliflower-crust pizza that is now living happily in my tummy:

This is what the crust looked like before I topped it and put it under the broiler for a minute:

My pizza was nearly the size of my dinner plate. Here are the ingredients I used: cauliflower (1/4 head), egg (1 large), tomato (1/2, pureed), mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup, part skim), turkey pepperoni (9 slices) and fresh basil/mushrooms/garlic/green peppers. (I left the mozzarella out of the crust to reduce calories-- and will continue to do so-- but it does provide some "glue" if you want to more successfully hand-hold the pizza slices.

The entire pizza was 259 calories.

Whoever wrote the original post-- I thank you! I will be making this several times per week.

-Chelle

P.S.-- I guess my pic must be too large 'cause it's not showing the entire pizza. I'm sure you get the idea,

Here's another link given: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130577-you-asked-for-it-cauli-crust-pizza-pics
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump for tonight :-)
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options

The almond meal ups the calorie count but I just enter all the ingredients individually - you could save it as a meal after the first time, I should really do that. There are other recipes that only use cauliflower so they're a lot lower but I want to be able to pick the pizza up.

I tend to do a whole or half cauliflower at once then keep it in the fridge ready to use for this or instead of rice under other dishes. Briefly rinse fresh cauliflower and let drain (don't give it too much water as it absorbs it) then chop in a food processor until approx the size of rice grains - I don't have a processor so actually grate it by hand, time-consuming but that's why I do a heap at once. Microwave for eight minutes on high (I stir after 4 mins) - do NOT add any water - and it's ready to use or refrigerate.

Thank you!!!