I need more protein!

Options
follmer20
follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
Can anyone give me a list of foods that are high in protein? I need eat a lot more of it and I don't like making a protein shake after workouts. Anyone???

Replies

• nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi I have the same problem, no matter what I do I can't seem to get my protein up.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Interested in replies, I'm a vegetarian and never get enough protein. I don't like the idea of shakes.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me a list of foods that are high in protein? I need eat a lot more of it and I don't like making a protein shake after workouts. Anyone???
    Hard cheese
    Lean Beef
    beans (broad and Lupin)
    pumpkin seeds
    Chicken
    Pork
    Tuna
    Lentils and Peanuts
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Chicken, eggs, and fish. I'm a fan of the shakes, but I guess they're not right for.everyone. I'd google high protein foods, I'm sure there are a ton. I think nuts are.a good source too.
  • evalt1
    evalt1 Posts: 9
    Options
    protein powder and make homemade bars

http://youtu.be/Dv-LcIC5gtc
  • Lukev123
    Lukev123 Posts: 5
    Options
    Cottage Cheese
    Quark
    Pretty much every type of meat preferably without the fat.
    Soy Beans
    Nuts
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese
    Quark
    Soy Beans
    Nuts

What's quark???
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Lean chicken every time, eggs are protein rich as well
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oiko's Plain Greek Yogurt --- 15 g of protein! Delicious with a bit of honey stirred in well!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese
    Quark
    Soy Beans
    Nuts

What's quark???
    Quark is an inedible white plastic sold as cheese either in small tubs or as a lump, it is quie high in protein.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
  • Lukev123
    Lukev123 Posts: 5
    Options
    As tadpole said its pretty nasty tasting to be honest. Whenever i eat it i have it with protein powder or you can get some cheap milkshake powder to mask the flavour, then its quite nice.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts,
    Cottage Cheese,
    Eggs,
    Turkey,
    Tuna,
    Nuts

I like to cook up a load of turkey breast pieces and eat them cold the next day as a snack. Or vegetable sticks dipped in cottage cheese is low cal but a good source of protein. x
  • baabaabetsy
    Options
    If you want any ideas, I can add you as a friend and you can check out my diary. I eat a pretty high protein diet (I aim to hit about 150g of protein per day) so maybe it would help you to see just how I get all that protein. I eat a lot of chicken breast, whey, eggs (mainly the whites) and canned tuna. I'll sometimes eat deli style ham, fish, pork (rarely) and beef (rarely). Beans, cottage cheese, tofu and Greek yogurt have a lot of protein as well, but I have limited access to those proteins since I live in Japan (well obviously not the tofu part, but I have a slight allergy to it). Anyways, feel free to add me but those are basically the best foods to eat in order to up your protein!

One word of advice... don't suddenly go from a low/regular amount of protein to a ton of protein per day. You may find that you have some digestive problems :P
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am almost always over. nuts, fish, and egg whites seem really high. I do eat a little meat obviously, I also start the day with a protein smoothie.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I whizz up my own shakes - fat free yoghurt, sometimes skimmed milk and bananas. Add some ice cubes and it taste lovely!
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Add shelled hemp seeds to your breakfast (if you have cereal or oatmeal, for example) or have it with yoghurt or soy yoghurt. It'll give you lots of healthy fats too!

Quinoa instead of pasta or rice - it's much higher in protein!
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    How about raising the protien without sending cholesterol and fat through the roof. I meet my protien goal easily, but I often exceed the fat and cholesterol. I found that peanut butter and nuts raise the fat too quick and eggs raise the cholesterol. Am I really only stuck with chicken, fish, and turkey for options.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    How about raising the protien without sending cholesterol and fat through the roof. I meet my protien goal easily, but I often exceed the fat and cholesterol. I found that peanut butter and nuts raise the fat too quick and eggs raise the cholesterol. Am I really only stuck with chicken, fish, and turkey for options.
    Nut and fish are GOOD fats that your body needs. They are the fats that burn fats, I'm pretty sure.
    Just do egg whites with the eggs. Though I keep reading that the yolk isn't bad for you at all, I hate the taste.

I also add flax and chia seeds to things
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, chicken breast (relatively lower than other meats here), and protein powders (only some though, check labels) are usually good choices here, but I wouldn't worry bit about dietary cholesterol.

Most all of your cholesterol comes from what your body makes.