Dealing with depressions?

Options
Hey MFPeeps.

Anyone else have depressions and fell off the track again and again?
I think it is so frustrating! There are weeks, I am full of energy. Doing sports, eat healthy, feel good...
....than the depressions grap me, throw me down, squeeze me out and I cant do anything.

At this momments I just feel tired, eat everything unhealthy cant to just a little workout and than I start getting angry about myself!

Its not just angry....I hate myself....hate my weakness. Its like I can see every gain of the last weeks flush away into the drain.

I take meds since three years. Know the problem...but it knocks me down, again and again.

Anybody else knowing that?

Replies

• AbzRocks
    AbzRocks Posts: 45
    Options
    I can't help you dude, I'm the same. I start drinking which makes me eat more and just sit around all day doing nothing but wanting so much to do something. I hit rock bottom then get up and go again, I have no idea what gives me that motivation it just happens. This last time it happened to me I gained 25 kg, I still have 15 to lose. All I can say is I feel for ya and if you need to chat, yell, scream, I'm here for ya!
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Depression is serious business. Have you talked to your doctor about your meds, maybe up them? Try something new? Is it something you can talk to your friends and family about? I find that even when I feel depressed or feel like I hate myself, if I take it out in a workout the endorphins eventually kick in and I feel much better. Maybe you could find someone to work out with? The worst thing about depression is being or feeling alone. Try to get out more, get out of the house, and out of your head. Try to hang out with some positive friends, even if you don't want to! Feel better :smile:
  • jennalor
    jennalor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Maybe go back to your doctor and look at adjusting your meds? I suffer from depression too, so many times I thought I had it beat, but before I know it I'm in the midst of it again. Is there anyone you can talk to that 'gets it'? Its hard for many to understand that its not just a matter of thinking more positively, or just get up and do it.

At the same time though, exercise is one of the best ways to help manage depression and anxiety, so if you have to push yourself a bit, just to go for a walk, you'll be glad you did. And try ( I struggle with this ) in those dark moments when you want to stuff your face with food, try and remember it doesn't fix anything, all the issues will be there after your done eating, nothing will have changed except maybe feeling worse about yourself.

Please don't hate yourself, take it a day at a time, one moment doesn't make or break you. I don't know if that helps at all, but just know I understand the struggle. Take care of yourself!

Jenn
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has depression/anxiety. The biggest problem for him, is getting to where he needs to go, if you can muster up enough strength to force, I know it's hard, but I mean FORCE yourself to go, even if you have to tell yourself that once you get there, you only have to do 15 minutes and you can go home and do whatever else you WANT, maybe it will help. Like I said, for him it's getting there that's the hard part, once there, it's fine. I think if you can do this, and remember what a big deal it is that you DID IT, it could help. do you have someone to help motivate you and push you without you bring upset with them?
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has depression/anxiety. The biggest problem for him, is getting to where he needs to go, if you can muster up enough strength to force, I know it's hard, but I mean FORCE yourself to go, even if you have to tell yourself that once you get there, you only have to do 15 minutes and you can go home and do whatever else you WANT, maybe it will help. Like I said, for him it's getting there that's the hard part, once there, it's fine. I think if you can do this, and remember what a big deal it is that you DID IT, it could help. do you have someone to help motivate you and push you without you bring upset with them?
  • DerDude
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.

I know that one of the best things against it is workout. But sometimes I just cant do it. Sitting there knowing about and couldnt do it makes it a bigger problem for the moment.

Even so I know that eating is not the answer. But sitting around and thinking that nothing ever changes make me thinking: Never mind! .... I dont care a thing of anything!
  • Chekulot
    Chekulot Posts: 1
    Options
    OMG, I just post the same just now.
    It is so hard to have a battle with yourself ....but in the end its still "I" or "YOU"will conquer this battle and no one else.
    I was subscribe to one of the email newsletter to uplift yourself and this is what I receive today.

"YOUR THOUGHTS DETERMINE YOUR ACTION, WHICH THEN DETERMINE THE LIFE YOU CREATE FOR YOURSELF".

How To Maximize The Power Of Your Mind - Day 5

Day 5: 'How To Work Out The Mind'

In our last issue Che, we've learned that we need to be careful when it comes to what we feed our minds. Now that we've fed it with nutritious food, it's time to work out the mind. Your mind is like a muscle and the more you work it out and feed it, the more it will grow. So how can we work out the mind?

Problem Solving

Solving problems is one of the best ways to work out your mind because it forces you to think with both sides of the brain, the logical side and the creative side. Take some time everyday and think of how you can solve some of the problems that you're facing when it comes to achieving your goals. Write the problem down in the form of a clear question and start writing down
    up to 20 answers. This is a simple, yet powerful way to solve problems. I knowit sounds too simple, but I guarantee when you actually sit down to do it, you'll be very surprised at the results. It's powerful because as you write, you "empty'
    what's in your mind and allow new ideas to form and as you look at the ideas you've written down, your mind starts to build tangents off those ideas to create new ones.

Journaling

Writing in a journal is another way to work out your mind. Rather than let your thoughts "stagnate" inside your mind, let them flow out from your mind onto paper. This will give your mind in essence "fresh air" to breath everyday. Writing exercises the mind because it takes out whats in your mind and forces you to come up with more. Keep a journal of your daily thoughts, feelings, what you've accomplished this day, what you're moving toward, etc. in order to work out your mind. You'll often find that while journaling, you'll find yourself thinking of new ideas to implement.

Debate

Whenever you come across new information, try to play Devil's advocate. Ask reverse questions to cover the entire angle of something. Learn to use the words "why" and "how". Why is what I just read true? Using the word why is agood test to see how much you understand the information you came across. How can I apply it in my life? How is one of the best ways to work out your mind because the word how forces you to think. By using the word how, you assume that it CAN be done. Now it's just a matter of finding out how.

Pretend You're Teaching Somebody

Along the same lines of whenever you come across new information, pretend that there is a person right next to you who is clueless on the subject and imagine it's your job to teach that person what you just learned. This forces you to actually
    comprehend the new material to the degree that you can make another person understand it. If you understand it well enough to explain it to another person, that knowledge becomes more "ingrained" within you.

Follow Through On Tasks

This is a powerful way you can strengthen your mind. Whenever you are doing a task, be conscious of it and follow through. If you are making dinner, make it all the way. Don't stop in the middle to watch TV. If you are brainstorming and need 20 ideas, finish it with 20 ideas. Don't stop at #19 to check your email. If you told yourself you're going to walk 1 mile, then walk 1 mile. Do this to condition your mind to follow through because when you start following through on little things, the big things become a piece of cake. To make it easier the first time around, try breaking down big tasks into smaller ones and finish those off by following through on them.

Visualize

I know I've talked it before but try visualizing every day for at least 10 minutes. 5 minutes when you wake up and 5 minutes before you sleep. By doing so, you exercise your visualization muscle. You always get better at something if you keep
    on practicing. The more you visualize, the more clearer the picture in your mind becomes, the more vivid the emotions feel and the more certain you become of attaining your goal. You will get better at it if you keep on doing it.

Exercise

There is no doubt a psycho somatic link between mind and body. If you have a strong body, you'll have a strong mind. If you're fit enough to lift weights, I highly encourage you to go on a regimen of weight lifting. It doesn't always have to be weights though. Running, walking, biking, any sort of cardiovascular activity will help sharpen your mind. Please consult your doctor before going on any exercise regimen.

Things That Weaken Your Mind

On the topic of strengthening your mind, it's also prudent to list things that can weaken your mind in order to avoid them.

The fact is that YOU are your own worst enemy. YOU are the greatest thing that can weaken your mind.

When you focus on your fears and doubt, YOU are weakening your mind because that paralyzes you and you tend not to take any action because of that. When you talk negatively to yourself, YOU are weakening your mind because you allow those
    negative thoughts to reach your subconscious mind. When you watch TV and allow your brain to effectively shut off for hours everyday, it is YOU who is weakening your mind. When you cease to avoid destructive negative influences from the people
    around you, it is YOU who is weakening your mind.

In essence, it is all up to YOU to strengthen your mind and it is up to you NOT to weaken your mind. Everything begins and ends with you.

We've covered a lot of ground here so the next installment will give you a brief summarization of what's been discussed.

Here's to the inevitable achievement of all your hopes and dreams,

Brian Kim
    http://www.briankim.net
    The DEFINITIVE Guide to Self Improvement TM

DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP BUT SURE HOPE SO....CAUSE IT GETS ME GOING AT LEAST EVERYDAY....One step at a time they say.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have depression and some days everything is too much. But I have set myself some rules and I must stick to them.

Unless I am sick I must go to the gym on my set days. Going to the gym means getting into my gym clothes, going there and going inside. I only have to stay 10 minutes, and if I'm still wanting to leave that's fine.

I don't think there has been one day where I have hit the 10 minute mark and left.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Sounds nice to set rules and never break them. I have to make a head about my rules and work and live after that rules....I should write it down I think...have it all around me....every day...
    Maybe thats a kind of way to set my mind on a positive track
  • jennalor
    Options
    I think that's a great idea, I think I'll use this for myself.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm currently depressed now & have been through this a lot. Environment isn't helping me either. Being in a place where I always feel different with all acquaintances who treating me like a walking ATM machine plus being far away from my boyfriend, I got to admit that there are times where I would fantasize about not waking up the following day. However I'm doing my best to fight with this. There are times where I also don't feel like working out but then I just think about my goals, how far I have come & not wanting to go back to my old self. Guess what, I feel a bit better after each session.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have to add

I never beat myself up over not sticking to my rules, the most important thing to me is starting again the next day and trying to do better than last time. And lots of treats for doing well! my favourite at the moment is to get a crazy bath bomb from lush and having a super long bath after a hard workout.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Thats a nice idea.....Maybe I should treat myself a bit more after doing well...most of the time I want more, better, faster.... after I did and than I am sorry if I dont but never treating myself well.....
    Just starting again is a bit difficulty for me if I once failed.
  • pdanko1972
    pdanko1972 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well what I have been doing is working out every time i start to feel it coming on, it's hard but i force myself. I also take a small dose of prozac everyday and make sure I never let it last longer then a day that I feel like doing nothing. Another thing I do is go try on clothes lol it is such an eyeopener as to what I have accomplished and where I want to be and it makes me think about how much worse i will feel if i screw this up and how it is gonna take me even longer to reach my goal if i screw off. Last but not least I envision the look on my ex boyfriends face when he sees my transformation complete, I know that's kinda silly but it will make me feel good lol.
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options

Its not just angry....I hate myself....hate my weakness. Its like I can see every gain of the last weeks flush away into the drain.

I take meds since three years. Know the problem...but it knocks me down, again and again.

Anybody else knowing that?

DEPRESSION IS NOT WEAKNESS. Ok, just had to say that :) It's challenging, but it helps me to remember that I will get back on track, no matter how long it takes. Progress is progress. Habits are good: automate anything that you can automate. That way, when the depression monster hits, you lose motivation to do just about everything, but some of the habits are likely to get done. Having someone to remind you that it's ok and encourage you to continue also helps. It's not you. It's not weakness. That's the depression talking.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Oh yes, I know that......after the depressions are gone :)
  • jennalor
    Options

You haven't failed, because you haven't given up. A quote I once saw that I like is, "No matter how many mistakes you make, or how slow your progress you are way ahead of everyone else who isn't trying".
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    The thing about being depressed... for me anyway... is to not beat myself up over it while it's going on. And just to take care of myself. Do what you can. Although, I tend to under eat instead of over eat when it happens (which is rare... but does happen).

I hope you get things worked out... and don't be too hard on yourself :) Take care!
  • DerDude
    Options

You haven't failed, because you haven't given up. A quote I once saw that I like is, "No matter how many mistakes you make, or how slow your progress you are way ahead of everyone else who isn't trying".

Awwwww....thats nice!