500 cals

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Every time i go to the gym i spend an hour & each time i can never seem to burn of more than 500 cals..... is this rubbish ?? what are the rest of you burning of in an hour ?? :huh:
    Sounds about right, cardio exercise takes time and the burn rates are often disappointing.

I've been tested on a treadmill for VO2max and I won't be burning much more than 600 calories an hour if I run at 100% performance - which I can't do for more than 5 minutes. Of the 600 I would have burned 60 lying in bed.

The folks that think they are burning more because they are heavy are probably deceiving themselves - the equations used make various assumptions and you need an aerobic fitness check to actually know what you burn.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Or like I tell my wife who gets annoyed when I burn 600 to her 400 doing the same exercise.....

'you just need to put on an extra 30lbs'

Hahahahahahahahaha
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would say that was about standard for me, 500 calories, although I am happy with that, because it allows me to get my dinner in under allowance! That said, you would be surprised how many calories you burn just from doing "boring" things, I walk to my work every day, which is about 2 miles, and my fitbit said I had burned 450 calories.

doubt that your fitbit is accurate, I run 3 miles at 7 min/mile (8.5 miles/hour) which is very intense and burn about 400 calories
  • rocksoutforcheese
    Options
    If you want to burn more calories, work harder. Add in a weight circuit. Do burpees. I wouldn't obsess about calories you burn because unless you have a HRM you won't know. Gym machines are insanely inaccurate.
  • sugerfree2
    sugerfree2 Posts: 69
    Options
    thanks for the replies, i'm 5' 3'' & way 10 stone :sad: