Stopping soda drinking - is sparkling water ok?

Options
Angellore
Angellore Posts: 519 Member
I have decided to stop the soda drinking (I've been drinking coke zero, cherry Pepsi max and fanta zero) but I get bored of 'plain' water and I'm not keen on squash. Is sparkling water ok? My concern with the diet sodas is the research that says the sweetners make your body think its getting sugar etc when it's not. Hope this makes sense.

Replies

• Omsy828
    Omsy828 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    sparkling water taste just as bad as normal water. What i've been doing is buying these packets you put in your water called Ocean Spray. I get the white cran peach flavor. it only has 10 calories in 1 bottle 0 sugar and taste amazing! You will be missing out on the gassy carbonation feel aside from soda tho!
  • Angellore
    Options
    sparkling water taste just as bad as normal water. What i've been doing is buying these packets you put in your water called Ocean Spray. I get the white cran peach flavor. it only has 10 calories in 1 bottle 0 sugar and taste amazing! You will be missing out on the gassy carbonation feel aside from soda tho!

I like sparkling water. Don't the ocean spray things still have sweetner in?
  • Bealach_Bug
    Options
    I've just started drinking sparkling water, might as well get some more minerals into my system
  • jonesey10
    jonesey10 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've recently started drinking sparking water, I've tried it with slices of orange, lime and lemon.
    A slice of lemon wins with loads of ice... it's really refreshing.
    no sugar, no aspartame, no chemicals.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have plain water with a slice of lemon or lime in - much more satisfying than just plain water when you're craving something more interesting to drink. (I also drink a lot of just plain water, though.)
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do you like tea at all? I like having green tea when I get bored with water.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda (maybe once or twice a year?), I don't like juices (even fresh ones, I prefer eating the fruit itself) since it's summer I can't stand drinking tea either (and too impatient to wait it cool in the fridge) so yes, sparkling water all the way! To me it's more refreshing than water (I also dislike flavored water, I'm pretty picky ain't I?) and all the minerals in it help to replace what's lost especially in summer.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I've lost 310 pounds drinking 2-3 bottles of Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Max, or my new favorite Big Red Zero and it has not had any negative effects on my weightloss or my type 2 diabetes... I am not in the camp that thinks soda with sweeteners is going to eventually kill you, If I die from drinking a few diet drinks then God must of had bigger plans for me, considering the fact 3 years ago I was trapped in my house at 560 lbs. and pretty much unable to walk from room to room and now know what it is like to have my life back, I am going to enjoy the little things and if that is having a couple soda's a day so be it.. I still drink my body weight divided by 2... in Ounces of water (250 lbs. divided by 2 = 125 oz. of water a day) so to each there own...... Best of Luck...
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you want to give up soda, but still want something bubbly you can try the 0cal, 0sugar, 0sodium sparkling fruity flavored waters -- walmart sells them for $.68/bottle and in a variety of flavors. I have a diet coke like once a week - but if I want something bubbly in between, I have that. Typically I drink 15-20+ cups of water a day.... Often in the morning I have a cup of hot tea.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    absolutely. I quit drinking pop 8 years ago. I really love Walmart's flavored sparkling waters.
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Club soda is the same thing and it's cheaper. I drink 2-4 cans a day. Usually with some lime or a shot of some other kind of juice. Keeps sugar down and I have grown to crave it even just plain. I think I like the bubbles more then anything.

I also make ice tea out of different flavors of tea and don't add sugar. Tea comes in such a great variety of flavors so it's fun to experiment.
  • south001
    south001 Posts: 19
    Options
    whats wrong with mineral water and a splash of ribena :D
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water is fine, just watch the sodium. It's small, but if you are limiting your sodium intake, make sure you log the sparkling water as it will add up slowly.

I love it because it's 0 calories, and when I'm craving something more than water it does the job nicely. Also, I take some with me to parties, because I learned that if you're not drinking, or barely drinking, people just can't leave you be and will try to press drinks on you. I'll drink sparkling water in a glass and because it's bubbly it looks festive and they assume it's ... I don't know what they think actually.... vodka and tonic maybe lol. But in any case they don't hassle me to drink calories that I didn't plan on.

Also I occasionally buy something like Coke Zero - yes I know it has artificial sweeteners, but in the big picture I don't care. I don't do it daily, and at least it's not then blowing my calories on a sugary drink.

Just my 2 cents...
  • Angellore
    Options
    I've lost 310 pounds drinking 2-3 bottles of Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Max, or my new favorite Big Red Zero and it has not had any negative effects on my weightloss or my type 2 diabetes... I am not in the camp that thinks soda with sweeteners is going to eventually kill you, If I die from drinking a few diet drinks then God must of had bigger plans for me, considering the fact 3 years ago I was trapped in my house at 560 lbs. and pretty much unable to walk from room to room and now know what it is like to have my life back, I am going to enjoy the little things and if that is having a couple soda's a day so be it.. I still drink my body weight divided by 2... in Ounces of water (250 lbs. divided by 2 = 125 oz. of water a day) so to each there own...... Best of Luck...

This has always been my thinking up until now. I keep reading though that drinking diet sodas make your body think it's getting suagr and can mess it up and make you crave sweet food more. I'm interested to see if by giving up the soda it will help curb my sweet tooth. Well done on your weight loss, you have done so fantastically.
  • Huckle97
    Huckle97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Soda has always been a biggest challenge- I wake up craving soda. I truly drink a minium of 2L of soda a day- more when I'm working since we have soda fountains. I decided to start adding the Crystal Light packets to my water, just to SEE if I'll start drinking water. Yesterday I drank over 13cups of water. Its the sweets I'm craving, now the soda itself. I started decreasing the amount of the powder I put in so hopefully I can adjust my taste buds to less sweet stuff.