Best workout equipment for the money?

Options
If you were to get 1 piece of equipment to work out at home what would it be? I want something that is the best workout for the money, will provide results, and doesn't take up a HUGE HUGE amount of space but as long as it will provide results thats all I care about! Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I would say a stationary bike like Pro Form heavy duty, not a cheap one that moves all around, it burns more cals than walking, but ofcourse walk also in the house for a half hour then get on the bike for 20 min it's a calorie burning fiesta.:smile:
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill right now but will be buying an elliptical when the time comes to get rid of the treadmill.
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I would vote for an elliptical machine. I have that and a treadmill, and get a great calorie burn on the elliptical machine!
  • mpdpratima
    mpdpratima Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Which elyiptical do you have? I have been thinking of getting one, but not sure which brand to go with.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I would say treadmill....it pounded the weigh off me- really it doesn't matter what machine- what matters is your determination to succeed- I do home videos on DVD and I can tell you that it is just as good as a machine especially the Tony Horton 10 min videos/program awesome!!!! Best of Luck with your decision.
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Which elyiptical do you have? I have been thinking of getting one, but not sure which brand to go with.

I have an older Nordic Track elliptical...probably about 7 years old now!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Elliptical or treadmill... I have a treadmill and it's where I've lost most of my weight. I will be stepping up to an elliptical once the old mill is out of comission. Neither takes up much space and cardio workouts I believe provide a great way to burn fat.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate a jump rope. Takes up very little space, and wow can it burn some calories.

***Ooops, sorry, forgot your are pregnant. So no jump roping for you right now. I used a treadmill when I was pregnant. Could adjust the speed, work, and include depending on my size of the week and energy level. Too much jumping around causes too many bathroom breaks.
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I currently use a treadmill and an elliptical, though I love both I think the elliptical machine is the best..good luck on your journey.
  • angiemcnett
    Options
    I would recommend the elliptical because I burn way more calories on that then a treadmill. I don't own either one but use both at the gym.
  • vipersgirl28
    Options
    To be honest you should pick something you would enjoy doing.

I have a treadmill, I don't care for running. Hence I really don't use it that much if at all.

I bought a exercise bike, I love biking. I absolutely love working out on it.

I have a boxing bag, been wanting one forever. It sits in the garage and I hardly ever go in there to use it. But at least that gets used by other members of our family.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I agree with vipersgirl, get something you'll enjoy! I would choose a spin bike though...

~Leash :heart:
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    To be honest you should pick something you would enjoy doing.

I have a treadmill, I don't care for running. Hence I really don't use it that much if at all.

I bought a exercise bike, I love biking. I absolutely love working out on it.

I have a boxing bag, been wanting one forever. It sits in the garage and I hardly ever go in there to use it. But at least that gets used by other members of our family.

Vipersgirl28, is right...you have to pick something you will enjoy using...I have a proform treadmill & elliptical...I can't run on my treadmill because I'm recovering from 2 bloodclots and running hurts, but I walk between 2.5-3miles and I use the incline which imatates a hill, love it..my elliptical works wonders and I burn mucho calories, I'm so glad I purchased it...

Good luck..
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, no doubt. I lost most of my weight with diet & 30 mins a day elliptical.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have also been looking for either an elliptical or treadmill....what is a good brand? I am clueless! :-)
    I don't have a lot of money to spend either so I want one that is good but not terribly expensive. Thanks!
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    Have you thought of checking the papers or Craigs List for a good used one. Many people are not using these items anymore and would love to sell them. You can always research the brand on-line to see if its a good one
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    We have a stationery recumbent bike. Hubby & I both love it. Ours is a Schwinn - it was $200 last February & it's holding up really well with both of us using it almost daily. I love using it when the weather is too hot or it's too dark outside.
    We picked it because it doesn't take up too much space, it's quiet & cheap. :glasses:
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I would have to say I love workout DVDs. They've been the best investment for me by far. You can buy SO many with the money you would be spending on a teadmill or elliptical! I have both by the way, and my exercise of choice is still the DVDs.. I can get much more selection with them and burn just as many calories for the most part.

Just a consideration as you're thinking of which to buy. But as everyone has said - you just have to get something you'll like. Good luck!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would have to say I love workout DVDs. They've been the best investment for me by far. You can buy SO many with the money you would be spending on a teadmill or elliptical! I have both by the way, and my exercise of choice is still the DVDs.. I can get much more selection with them and burn just as many calories for the most part.

Just a consideration as you're thinking of which to buy. But as everyone has said - you just have to get something you'll like. Good luck!

I would second this, and add in some cheap dumbells and resistance bands. It's important to confuse your body to prevent both boredom and getting stuck on your progress. You can even get cardio dvds at the library or from netflix to test them out before you buy them.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The best piece of exercise equipment is the one you'll use. I have a treadmill and elliptical/ stepper, and I don't like either as much as I thought I would. The elliptical takes a lot of upper leg strength/ endurance, and I can only do it for a couple of minutes before I feel like I'm going to collapse- and that's after doing cardio (aerobics) regularly for the past 6 months. I can't really get a workout on it in 2 minutes. My advice would be to go and try both out before you decide.