Looking for vegetarian friends

Options
Hi all, I recently read the book "The Skinny Rules" . Although it did not state being a vegetarian is the way to go, it did say that no carbs after lunch was the way to go. So I started looking for vegetarian recipes and came across a slew of information on the health benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle. So after reading, talking to my doctor and trainer and some serious hours of thought I have decided to try it for at least 6 months and hopefully make this a permanent life change. I go to see a nutritionist tomorrow to set up some meal plans and talk about supplements. What I am hoping to ind here on mfp is more new friends that follow a vegetarian diet. I would like to be able to look at diaries and get advice from others about how you cook, favorite recipes and foods. What you eat when you go out or travel. The best tasting brands. Any kind of advice you could offer on making the transition. What type of supplements you take. I also use whey protein shakes after working out. Is that ok? Or is there a vegetarian version of protein shakes. So thank you in advance and please add me as a friend if you like.

Replies

• loobybooby82
    loobybooby82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im a veggie! please feel free to add me and look at my diary. I have found lots of great meat/poultry/fish substitutes. x
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think it would be hard to do a veggie diet with no carbs after lunch - for me anyway! But not impossible. I grew up a meat eater, became veggie, went back to meat and ballooned. :frown: So I'm back to veggie again. Feel free to look at my diary. I don't think any supplements are necessary on a veggie diet. You may want to look at it again if you are thinking of a Vegan diet, but there is plenty of Vitamin B12, iron, calcium and minerals in a veggie diet anyway.

Good Luck :wink:
  • tinlis
    tinlis Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been a veggie for almost a year . I do eat some fish and quorn. I cannot stand tofu but the quorn is really good.
    I feel vegetarian life is the way to go and will eventually give up fish.
    You can make ANYTHING with quorn that you can make with meat. Have you tried it?
  • darkphoenix89
    darkphoenix89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've only just found joined up today so there's nothing in my food diary to look through yet but I'm a vego too. I grew up as a meat eater but found out when I was 16 after years of being sick after eating and being tested for all kinds of allergies that my body can't actually break down the protein in meats so it leaves me feeling quite ill. So I've had a good 7 years of being a vego, the biggest thing I found with the transition was iron. My iron levels plummeted despite eating lots of high iron veges so I'd keep an eye on that and look at supplements. The other thing, it was almost like a detox and definitely had a bit of an upset tummy for the first week but once I adjusted I felt a lot healthier. The only problem I have these days with being a vegetarian is that my husband isn't and I have no idea how to cook meat, I've destroyed god knows how many steaks on the poor bugger :p

And I second quorn, it's great! I've lost count of the amount of times I've made bolognaise or chilli or even schnitzels and the hubby hasn't realized it wasn't meat.
  • angelmeanttofly
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been a veggie for almost a year . I do eat some fish and quorn. I cannot stand tofu but the quorn is really good.
    I feel vegetarian life is the way to go and will eventually give up fish.
    You can make ANYTHING with quorn that you can make with meat. Have you tried it?
    [/quote
    I have never tried it I am going to the nutritionist today to learn exactly what to eat where to buy products in my area ect. I don't even know any one that can help me with it all my friends and family are meat eaters. So I have reached out to mfp for help. Could you please tell me what it is?
  • tinlis
    Options
    Hi phonix,
    I even make pate from quorn. I put the minced quorn in a pan and heat it gently with butter and olive oil. I then put it in the blender, add mace, garlic, oregano and a little brandy. I then put a feww bay leaves in the bottom of a dish and pore in the blended ingrediants .
    It is deliciouson toast.
  • gogogulliver
    gogogulliver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan (so mega-vegetarian) and mostly low-carb! Add me! I'd be interested to see what you're eating and I'll give you any support I can.
  • tinlis
    Options
    Quorn is made from Mycoprotein 87% egg white flavouring. It comes in many forms. You can buy it in any big supermarket. It is usually in the freezer compartment.
    100 grams has 114 Kcals. 14 grams of protein.5.8 grams of carbs. 2.6 grams fat. 5.5 grams of fibre.
    You can cook any meal you like with quorn. Meat eaters often do not realise they are eating it.
  • angelmeanttofly
    Options
    Thank you, that sounds great. I will look for it and try it. I am going to be trying a lot of new things in the near future.