I'm Hungry...

Options
I'm hungry and have like $12 in the bank. I don't mind heading to the grocery store and am looking for ideas. What should I get for dinner?

Replies

• mary190136
    mary190136 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    brown rice and sliced deli meat? :)
  • Sopsongbird
    Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a "rice" girl. I was thinking about something I could cook, but I'm tired of doing the same thing all the time (stir fry).
  • MicaelaFW
    MicaelaFW Posts: 63
    Options
    chicken breasts and mixed salad...
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with cottage cheese or a filling of your choice. Not too time consuming and pretty filling, if you are not doing low carb or something similar. Alternatively, make a bean stew with some (rinsed) canned beans, stock and vegetables.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Buy a lb of chicken and season it and then shred it. You can make a bunch of different meals with that. Use the rest of your money to buy a few sides.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If it needs to be cheap than I'd suggest a baked potato too, maybe a tin of tuna and some veg and salad on it too (even a little cottage cheese if you can afford it) or if it needs to be really cheap, minestrone type soup, buy the cheap on sale veggies (quite a lot) a tin of crushed tomatoes, a few tins of beans (kidney beans, mixed means for example - rinse them before use!) chuck them all in a pot together and add a beef or vegetable stock cube and water or bought broth, some dry herbs if you have them (basil/parsley/oregano) and a hand full or dry pasta or broken spaghetti noodles. (my mum used to call this "kitchen sink soup" she'd use all the sad veggies at the bottom of the fridge!)
  • Sopsongbird
    Options
    I'm headed to the store! Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll see what I can find and create! You all are awesome!
  • greeneyedchick1986
    Options
    I probably wouldnt give the best advice since im real new here and i dont do my first weigh in until sept 1st. But with $10 I would buy Tap Ramen. I know thats not healthy but when you only have $10 you have to make each dollar stretch so i totally understand that!
  • Sopsongbird
    Options
    Just to let you all know, for $13 (I had to split into the couple bucks left in the joint checking (oops)). I got a pack of center cut porkchops on sale for less than $5, a bag of salad mix, dressing (which I was out of), and 3 corn on cobb (3 for 99cents). I have some snap beans here at home that I'll simmer up in some soy sauce and that should be amazing! :-D Who says you cant get a nutritious meal for under $15???
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Just to let you all know, for $13 (I had to split into the couple bucks left in the joint checking (oops)). I got a pack of center cut porkchops on sale for less than $5, a bag of salad mix, dressing (which I was out of), and 3 corn on cobb (3 for 99cents). I have some snap beans here at home that I'll simmer up in some soy sauce and that should be amazing! :-D Who says you cant get a nutritious meal for under $15???

Nice choices!
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options

Nice healthy dinner on a budget! Eating healthy can take time and money, but you just made a healthy meal that even your bf must have loved. It's choices like that that will help you reach your goals!:happy:
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    with all these lovely healthy ideas, why not make your own healthy cookbook journal and then you have it to hand when you run out of ideas. i print off any recipie i like and have tried and put it in a folder that has plastic sleeves so i can move them around when i feel like it.
    it makes me stick to the calorie counting as well
  • Sopsongbird
    Options
    with all these lovely healthy ideas, why not make your own healthy cookbook journal and then you have it to hand when you run out of ideas. i print off any recipie i like and have tried and put it in a folder that has plastic sleeves so i can move them around when i feel like it.
    it makes me stick to the calorie counting as well

Good idea! And cgarand, my husband LOVED it!