HELP! I'm a new-bee and I need options!!

Options
Hey all!

So my mom and I started using MFP last Sunday and frankly, it has not been easy. But giving up is not an option. Breakfast and lunch have been easy enough but dinner's where it gets tricky. If you all would be kind enough to suggest some dinner recipes that are 300 calories or less, that would be awesome! (pics welcomed...)

THANKS!

Replies

• Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of ideas in this section for recipes for dinner. An easy meal in the crockpot is to put a couple of chicken breasts along with some salsa. After the chicken is cooked you can easily shred and use for tacos. It's very good.

You can also take a look at some people's food diaries here. Some are open to the public and some are closed.

I wish you and your mom the best! :)
  • nygirl777
    nygirl777 Posts: 35
    Options
    Honestly i couldnt tell you any dinners that are under 300 calories...im sure there are some. What i do and found it easier not to go over my calories is after i go grocery shopping i figure out all my dinners and their calories for the week. Then i know how many calories im having for dinner and how many calories i can have during the day. Good Luck !!!!!
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When all else fails, google it! Try googling 300 calorie dinner meals or 300 calorie dinner recipes. If you or your mom like cooking, you may find a few that would be of interest to you. Good luck!
  • prmercado92
    Options
    thanks so much!! sounds delicious :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Here's my suggestion;
    Get yourself some rice noodles and some beansprouts.
    Finely slice as many veggies as you want to count up ( I use a carrot, a red pepper, a spring onion, and a couple of mushrooms)
    Throw the veg in a big pan with some water and a little splash of soy sauce or maggi seasoning. Steam the veg rather than stir fry, then throw in the beansprouts and noodles for a couple of minutes. Add ground black pepper and serve. Depends on your quantitiy of noodles and beansprouts but i always bring this in under 300 cals and it tastes great. Pretty filling too.
    Best of luck with your new choices.
    :happy:
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hi, These are a few things I do for dinner when I need to stay low.

Grilled boneless/skinless chicken breast with Veggies (sweet potato)
    Grilled Mahi-Mahi with veggies
    Ground Lean turkey with corn tortillas and salsa

When I am really crunching for calories:
    Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (2 Sara lee Smart n Delightful Slices of bread 45 calories per slice +1 tbsp Peanut Butter + Smuckers Sugar free Jam = about 200 calories
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    We are on a very tight budget.. so I like to get Michelinas lean gourmet dinners.. =) $1 each.. they are under 300 calories.
  • sweetpea10585
    Options
    Try a south beach recipe book... there are some good ideas in there.

High protien is good so meat is good. I have been eating a lot of Tuna lately (even albacore in water). Fill up the rest of the meal with vegis (grilled, steamed, lightly sauted, seasoned). Some of the gluten free sauces will help with calories,

There are also some good frozen meal options and don't forget the water.
  • christinedeckert
    Options
    Grill some chicken breast or fish, ( you can sprinkle on olive oil and fresh lemon juice) grill a ton of veggies (asparagus, mushrooms, onion, red pepper) and serve with couscous. Sprinkle with cilantro, super easy! Try not to use salt, but use garlic powder/ cumin, etc,. instead!
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken, brown rice, broccoli - very filling!!
  • kcrozell
    kcrozell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you can, you should check out some Hungry Girl cookbooks. There are several to choose from, but specifically there is on called 300 under 300, which as the title suggests, is 300 meals under 300 calories. There is also one called 200 under 200. If you prefer not to buy the cookbooks, she also has a website. Just a suggetion for different options.
  • Tender78
    Tender78 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is also a great website for recipes. She'll have the nutritional breakdown listed as well, so you can see what fits your needs. She also has a Pinterest page where she has her recipes sorted, so it's easier to find the kind of recipe you're looking for there.