leg cramps....HELP!!!

Options
Has anyone else been plaqued with leg cramps at night? The last 3 nights I have Been woken up multiple times with leg cramps! Its very painful and I wake up exhausted!!! Any advice?? I cant take another night of this!!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stretching before bed?
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana or take a potassium pill. This happened to me back in the day when I was doing the no carb diet (bananas are a Big No No) with this diet. The problem is, your body needs the potassium which is found in bananas. Look it up, do some research. If need be go pick up a bottle of potassium and you'll notice a change (for the good)
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, I seem to go through periods when this happens to me. The three things that help are stretching my calf muscles before bed, upping my calcium intake, and making sure I'm hydrated. Usually for me, this happens when I'm slacking off on taking my calcium supplement--so I get religious about taking it again and usually the cramps go away.
  • Sp1ritgirl
    Options
    I have read this is most likely from potassium deficiency. I have had this happen as well, but increasing my potassium through supplements and Lo Salt (potassium salt mixed with regular salt) seems to have done the trick. But you have to take way more potassium than FDA says. I take anywhere from 400-800 mg per day depending on how active I am... You don't store potassium though, so you can take as much as you need, generally speaking. I hope this helps
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Potassium and Magnesium. You can buy the Combo at Wal-Mart... If Extra Water and a Banana Doesn't fix your Cramps in a week. Pick these up.
  • mamavanryan
    mamavanryan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Magnesium tablets do wonders!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I have read this is most likely from potassium deficiency. I have had this happen as well, but increasing my potassium through supplements and Lo Salt (potassium salt mixed with regular salt) seems to have done the trick. But you have to take way more potassium than FDA says. I take anywhere from 400-800 mg per day depending on how active I am... You don't store potassium though, so you can take as much as you need, generally speaking. I hope this helps

This...

I also used to have bad bad leg cramps. Even during the day. Changing shoes helped me.
    I switched to the sketcher shapeups.. not for the workout value, which is non existent, but they have fantastic arch support. I rarely get cramps now, plus I can be on my feet a substantial length of time with no foot pain now.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you stretched?

With the heat, are you getting enough electrolytes and staying hydrated enough?

Are you getting enough potassium and calcium?

Hard to offer more suggestions without seeing your diary.
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Potassium and Magnesium. You can buy the Combo at Wal-Mart... If Extra Water and a Banana Doesn't fix your Cramps in a week. Pick these up.

^^^^^ this.

Low carb was the reason for my leg cramps. Still is. I looked for a multi vit to take every day that had a little potassium and Magnesium in it.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me and it's the worst pain EVER! Like, it will have me screaming and in tears.

Eat a banana and ensure you're getting plenty of water.
  • olygirl1971
    Options
    get more potassium in your diet - banana's are best - potatoes are good. Try stretching before going to bed - and if a cramp/charlie horse seizes you in the middle of the night - the quickest way to get rid of 'em is to point all your toes to your face. It'll hurt like hell for 2 or 3 seconds, but then the pain is gone.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hmm. The previous posts sent me for a quick look for the relationship between potassium and calcium in the body. There does seem to be more indication that a deficit in potassium is more likely the culprit in muscle cramps. I wonder why the calcium seems to help me out?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/545931-what-is-the-difference-between-calcium-potassium/
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This is probably a potassium deficiency. I dealt with the same issues until I started snacking on dried apricots.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options

^^^^^ this.

Low carb was the reason for my leg cramps. Still is. I looked for a multi vit to take every day that had a little potassium and Magnesium in it.

It happened to me when I was low carbing it as well. Now that I'm not low carbing they're gone.

One more reason for me to never go back to low carb.
  • bubmaster
    bubmaster Posts: 90
    Options
    I use to suffer really bad but since doing stretching excercises they have improved alot.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Hmm. The previous posts sent me for a quick look for the relationship between potassium and calcium in the body. There does seem to be more indication that a deficit in potassium is more likely the culprit in muscle cramps. I wonder why the calcium seems to help me out?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/545931-what-is-the-difference-between-calcium-potassium/

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/electrolytes/page5_em.htm
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    eHow Drugs & Supplements Calcium & Minerals Potassium Supplements Who Should Not Take Potassium Supplements? Who Should Not Take Potassium Supplements?

Drug Interactions
    If you take medication for diabetes, heart disease or asthma, do not take potassium supplements without doctor approval.

Conditions
    Never take potassium supplements without a doctor's consent if you suffer from kidney disease, stomach problems, Addison's disease or health problems requiring antibiotics.

Potassium deficiencies can cause serious problems including muscle weakness, stroke, high blood pressure and osteoporosis, but not everyone is a candidate for potassium supplements. Certain drugs and kidney problems, especially, can inhibit the body's absorption of potassium; taking a supplement may cause a potentially fatal overdose. As with any drug, check with your doctor if you are currently on prescription medications or have an existing chronic condition.

Diet
    Consider a dietary change as an alternative to potassium supplements. A low-sodium diet with plenty of tomatoes, potatoes, avocados, bananas, citrus fruits, unsalted nuts, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, and green, leafy vegetables will provide plenty of potassium
  • JulieHearts
    JulieHearts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agree with the magnesium... it will also help you sleep. Try to get Magnesium Citrate (pill form) its absorbed better than other types of magnesium.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee etc.,it dehydrates. With all this heat and humidity I have been drinking 10 glasses of water along with the extra supplements,sure helps.
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Yes I do drink tons of water...Im sure a banana will help as well as stretching. They are just so painful!!! Hugs and have a great day everyone.