Help please (seriously please read)

Options
Hi guys I am new to the whole getting fit thing. For the past month or more I have been being more active and walk a minimum of 3 days a week doing 5k. I never seem to stop being sore all over, let's not mention when I try to workout video's etc. I have been stretching and doing what I can but sheesh. Also want to add I'm almost 40 could this have something to do with it? Thanks guys.

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Muscles sore?
    That is normal.
  • swbsug
    swbsug Posts: 4
    Options
    muscles being sore is normal, that shows that you are using them:smile: I recommend tha tyou drink plenty of water to keep your boyd hydrating and to prevent cramps. In addition a soak in a nice warm bath with epsom salt will make you feel better. I fyou are really bad off take a coupel of pain relievers immediately following your workout
  • medpal
    medpal Posts: 44
    Options
    I can relate to this I am also training for a 5K in aug. My first and goal is to finish. Keep pushing and good luck.
  • pinkspanglystar
    pinkspanglystar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you warm up and cool down properly before doing anything?? I know most people skip this part out as being not needed but it really is important to help prevent injury!! I trained for a while to do triathlons and never warmed up untill I realised the harm I was doing!!
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. :flowerforyou:
  • nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree that working muscles that are not worked consistantly will leave them sore- I have always done the eliptical at the gym (for years!) and when I began jogging outside for a change I could hardly walk for a few days- it was from a new way of working the muscles. If you are haveing another king of pain/ soreness (like joints) it is best you talk to your doctor. also make sure you have properly fitted shoes- I had a lot of trouble with my knees and ankels untill I went to get my feet measured and all that fun stuff! Good luck :)
  • only1tcb
    only1tcb Posts: 23
    Options
    Warm ups, cool downs, hot baths, and Alieve!
  • elfinsnow
    elfinsnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching enough? Makes a bg difference. I have a foam roller too and that helps a lot too.
  • vegankat
    vegankat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to get really sore too, all the time, and had muscle cramps. My aunt (a nurse) suggested a magnesium supplement. It's only a couple dollars at any grocery store or Wal-mart. Since then, I've been working out harder than ever with hardly any soreness at all!
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I find if I don't drink enough water, even on non-workout days, then workouts are going to leave me with sore muscles.

Almost 40 is not what is making you sore, your new routine just is going to take some time for your body to adjust to if you weren't physically active before. If you were physically active before and only now are getting and staying sore...see your doctor to rule out any medical problems.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Are you doing rest days in between your workouts? Sounds like you are just pushing hard. Keep going and it will definitely get better. I remember when I started seriously walking, first few weeks my feet hurt so bad! When they stopped hurting then my calves hurt. When calves got in shape then my thighs. Just worked up my body. Give your body some time to adjust!
  • tmonsta617
    tmonsta617 Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree sore muscles are normal when you're getting started OR even after you've started and you continue to push yourself. You are training your body to do things it hasn't done before or for a long time (thus it being called training). The advice to drink more water is def true. Also, consider adding orange juice to your diet (not a lot just an 8 oz serving at breakfast) to make certain you are getting potassium. This will help avoid dreaded muscle cramps.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I am new to the whole getting fit thing. For the past month or more I have been being more active and walk a minimum of 3 days a week doing 5k. I never seem to stop being sore all over, let's not mention when I try to workout video's etc. I have been stretching and doing what I can but sheesh. Also want to add I'm almost 40 could this have something to do with it? Thanks guys.

strongly suggest you drink more water eat some bananas and invest in a foam roller www.performbetter.com

take a rest day or a yoga day where you just stretch then
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Since I started c5k a few weeks ago my calf muscles have been constantly aching. Sometimes less. Sometime more. I just take magnesuim and glucosamine daily, use the foam roller when it is particularly bad (as well as ibuprofen) and just keep on going. I am 40 and have put it partly down to age and muscles not recovering as fast as they do when you are younger.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you're walking outside, 3 miles- a few times per week, you NEED to make sure you have good shoes. When I say "good," I mean-- you should probably get fitted for your personal gait/foot at an athletic shoe store, like FLEET FEET or something. Sore muscles are totally normal. But if you're getting shin pain, joint pain, etc.. It's probably because you need proper footwear.
    This makes sense because my sneakers are three years old lol....(I never used them so much before). Also to everyone else thank you for the input, and I do get plenty of water I love water.
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    Drink more water. :flowerforyou:

DITTO!! Drinks lots of water.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles are caused by lactic acid in the muscles. Drinking more water will help. Be more consistent with your diary and be sure you are getting enough calcium which is important for bone and muscle function. And I don't know but perhaps that is alot of exercise all at once. Try something more manageable before deciding to become an overnight athlete, work up to it. How about a walk for 30 minutes every day for starting out instead of 5K. Be nice to yourself !

Ruth
  • TamaraJackson27
    TamaraJackson27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. Since you"re just geting back into it, you are going to be sore!! The key thing is to keeo pushing through it. You will soon not be able to feel a thing and then you will want to push yourself even harder just to get that soreness back! When youre sore from working out its a good thing. Those toxins/waste is what you are waking up!! So keep at it and drink plenty of water!!!! oh and plenty of stretching. Hope this helps a little. :smile:
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Potassium is also important too . . . eat five fruits and vegetables a day to prevent cramping.

Once you are 40, you may find you need arch supports, especially if overweight. The ones in the store don't help much.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I would definitely look at new shoes. Don't get cross trainers. go to a real running store. If the guy doesn't look at your feet and makes you walk around or whatever, your not in a real running store.

Chocolate milk after a +20 minute workout.