Alli - weight loss pill...

Options
Thoughts anyone?!?! I've heard mixed reviews....and I've debated getting these from time to time, but always end up puting them back. Has anyone tried them? Or known someone who has? All thoughts welcomed! :indifferent:

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I worked with someone who used Alli.... it was awful. She was constantly in the bathroom and had HORRIBLE gas....

Now I know she was probably eating the wrong stuff, but I am telling you, it turned me off from using that as a weight loss aid! YUCK!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's what i've heard from a few people. :sick:
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    One of my patients took it. She told me that if she ate too much fat, she pretty much stayed in the bathroom,.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Another MFP member said it best - it's dieting through fear. You don't eat the bad stuff because you are too afraid of what it might cause (accidents! yikes!).

Probably not a long term recipe for success.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    2 words - anal seepage
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    One of my patients took it. She told me that if she ate too much fat, she pretty much stayed in the bathroom,.

I was reading up on it online, and it said that you should take it up to three times a day with a fatty meal...but that the meal should NOT have more than 15g of fat in it otherwise it could cause all those side effects. I think i'll stay away. haha
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    2 words - anal seepage

That is so funny
  • pinkspanglystar
    pinkspanglystar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have used a few different weight loss pills over the last few years and the most comical result I had was putting 7lb on in a week while following ww plan to the t!! No matter which ones you get they are a total con and dont set you up to be healthy and slim!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It' won't increase your weight loss, so why do it? Also, low fat diets are NOT as effective as high protein diets in terms of weight loss. So just eat a high protein, moderate carb and fat diet and you should be good. If you want to improve weight loss, limit processed foods and meats.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who took it, and even meat that was 93/7 would keep her in the bathroom all day, as well as cheese. She ended up stopping after 2 weeks because she couldn't eat anything. Even healthy stuff made her go to the bathroom more frequently. I would say stick with eating at a deficit and working out!
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    don't bother with them! I've only heard bad things.

I'm taking USN CLA Thermo and i love them. Maxitone Sculpress pills worked too but for the price (only last a week) i stopped and got Thermo.
    I bought USN CLA 1000. Trying them when i finish Thermo, but read good things :)
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Tried them - didn't work!! In fact they made me 6lbs heavier!
  • lori__lynn
    lori__lynn Posts: 59
    Options
    *bangs head on desk*

NO - do not use it!
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of all diet pills in any disguise. My friend took phin phin in the 90s (I think thats what it was called) trying to lose weight. Her dr. prescribed it for her. It caused major cardiac problems and she finally ended up having heart surgery to try and repair some of the damage. Just not worth it when all we have to do is eat well, eat less, and move more.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    It' won't increase your weight loss, so why do it? Also, low fat diets are NOT as effective as high protein diets in terms of weight loss. So just eat a high protein, moderate carb and fat diet and you should be good. If you want to improve weight loss, limit processed foods and meats.

This is pretty much what i've been doing. I'm on the atkins diet (starting over today because i've strayed the past few weeks) so I eat TONS of protein, plenty of fat in bacon (my guilty pleasure) and LOW carbs. I actually haven't done ANY diet pills since Hydroxycut first came out years ago...they never did anything for me except make me feel like I was going to pass out when I went to the gym- so I've been pretty terrified of any weight loss supplement since then.
  • karijoeide
    karijoeide Posts: 103
    Options
    I also worked with someone who used this and she said it was awful, she spent WAY to much time in the bathroom and it made her feel awful! DONT USE IT!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Pills are not the way. There is no quick fix. Eating right and exercising is the only way to lose weight and keep it off. Sorry :(
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    If it causes anal leakage, it's probably not something you should ingest.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've been on it with good results. It's not a low protein diet. You can eat as much protein as you want (and I ate a ton). Yes you do need to keep your fat gram goals in check or you'll be sorry. It did help me lose weight when I was overweight. I exercised a ton but the weight came off much faster than it would have if I had only been dieting and exercise. I lost about 30 or 35lbs in the course of 4 or 5 months. I know lots of people on this site lose that much weight in that period of time on their own but I hadn't ever been able to before. I tried to lose weight by eating healthy and exercising for more than a year without anything changing.

It's not for everybody. If you are really having a difficult time, are used to micro managing your macros, and are actually overweight or obese then it might work for you. But to be honest, you are much much better off learning to do it without the pills. (I gained back some of that weight because I got into a long term relationship more than a 1.5 years later. Not because I didn't learn how to eat better or whatever reason).
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Pills are not the way. There is no quick fix. Eating right and exercising is the only way to lose weight and keep it off. Sorry :(

Oh, I know love! I'm not taking them- just wanted other opinions :)