Should I be concerned?

Options
Maybe because I'm a father of two girls, but I am concerned with the number of woman I see on MFP that look great and feel the need to lose weight. I have no problem with people wanting to eat and be healthy and MFP is a great tool for that, I'm just hoping society is not putting unrealistic expectations on what the ideal weight and look should be.

Replies

• loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    I wonder if you are looking at the "before" or the "after" pictures?
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes. But you can help stop the weight obsession from starting in your daughters by incorporating a healthy lifestyle and encouraging them to make smart food choices. Lead by example and show them how to exercise and that it's fun and they will grow up not knowing any different! :)

This coming from a 24 year old girl who has dealt with (and continues to deal with) terrible self esteem, eating disorders, etc. I have a 3.5 year old daughter I'm instiling healthy behaviors in. She chooses cucumber slices for snacks instead of cookies (mainly BC we don't buy cookies!) and loves to watch me workout. :) you're a bigger influence than you realize!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Looking good and being healthy aren't the same thing. If you have taught your daughters that being attractive is the most important measure for their body, then yes, you should be concerned :wink:

But all joking aside, yes, be concerned. There is a lot of pressure on young girls to look like a bunch of photo-shopped, unbelievably perfect models. You should have some intelligent discussions with them about real versus advertisement, and health versus the media's version of perfect.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm sure society plays a huge factor in what females think, at least some of them. Let me remind you that my values, morals and ideas on self love and confidence came from my upbringing and friends and family around me by the examples they set, not a damn magazine. Involve yourself and talk them not just once, or when they say something. Engage with them and you'll be surprised that some are capable of ignoring the ideas of society.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm just hoping society is not putting unrealistic expectations on what the ideal weight and look should be.

It is and has been for a long time. It's your job to teach them different.
  • shanse21
    shanse21 Posts: 26
    Options
    Society IS putting unrealistic expectations on women. The best thing you can do for your daughters is to emphasize a healthy lifestyle and to not focus on being objectively attractive for other people.

I read this article the other day, and it seems applicable here: http://thehairpin.com/2012/06/be-less-crazy-about-your-body-for-the-children
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    How do you know some of the goals are unrealistic? A lot of people here have lost a lot of weight and their goals are based on where they were at one point and what's comfortable for them. My goal is a place I've been before, look good at, am comfortable with and can sustain.

As a parent you need to have a healthy atmosphere for your children and set an example of what is good and healthy. Obviously being over weight is not healthy but neither is being super thin. You need to teach your children the balance between the two and drill into them the fact that the models, actresses and most people in the public eye are not who they should look up to and find real role models for them. The important thing is that your girls love themselves and turn a blind eye to what society thinks.