Does barefoot running reduce injury?

Options

Replies

• niallse
    niallse Posts: 58
    Options
    Guys,

Thank you so much for all your feedback. its quite inspiring, apart from running in sheep poo!! ;-) I may well go onto the forum as I am a little wary of re-inflaming my Achilles.

So what I’m taking from this so far is yes it could be beneficial, i should work on my core and leg strength, and take it reallllly slow in the vibrams! The chi running sounds interesting and yoga I think would help almost all of us.

Thanks again

Mick.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Barefoot running is not for everyone. It can help reduce injury because it forces you to strike more with the balls/midfoot instead of your heel. A shortened stride can also help minimize injury by lessening the impact with which you hit the ground. For me, when I started midfoot striking my knee pain and joint pain was reduced. The other stuff that can help reduce injury is weight training. Building up the leg muscles or at least not losing muscle mass from running too much helps maintain strength and prevent injury.

Hope I answered your question. As for your shoes, have a "pro" at an actual running store help you out. They should be able to help get you the right support for your feet.

runfatmanrun,
    How did you learn the mid-foot strike?
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I had never heard of barefoot running until one morning I was hiking and saw someone running through the mountainside barefoot. The only thing I thought was "ouch! That's got to hurt!" I thought he was crazy, but then I heard a podcast that was talking about barefoot running. I don't think I could do it, but it's definitely very interesting.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    There could be several things that are causing you to get injured.

First, it could be your shoes. 300 - 500 miles on your shoes and new ones

Second, it could be the way you train. Too many hard days and not enough easy days

I had a friend (who I was in cross country with) that ran barefoot and got severely injured.

Just my two cents.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors, the biggest of which being your running technique and the surfaces you run on. Humans are naturally supposed to walk and run with the balls of their feet touching down first. But a lifetime of wearing shoes with slightly elevated heels has conditioned us to move in a way where the heel ends up touching down first. Try to carry heel-first (heel strike) technique over to barefoot running and you'll mess yourself up BADLY. But if you can make sure you run the "natural" way things should be fairly okay. Also though running on certain surfaces like pavement don't go well when barefoot.

I have a pair of minimalist style running shoes (Nike Free) and I have to say honestly I can't stand them. My weight combined with the way I like to move (more sprinting than jogging) and the fact that I like to try to "rebound" to turn if that makes sense rather than simply adjusting direction means barefoot simply does not cut it.

Also they just plain aren't comfortable.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    One last thing to add about taking it "slow", I am referring to distance rather than speed. Your normal pace may go slightly up or down, but when I say take it slow, it's really meant as build up your distance slow, very slow.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'm considering Vibram Five Fingers so I'd be interested to hear others opinions.

My husband runs in these. He wasn't necessarily injury prone before, but his post-marathon recovery times are much faster now.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I enjoy going shoe-less when I am tooling around the yard or playing outside.
    I can't tell you the times I have cut open my foot on broken glass and debris scattered about.
    My feet have been plagued with insect bites, splinters and thorns. My son was bitten by a poisonous snake last month, and the medical costs were in the tens of thousands.
    Running barefoot?
    NO WAY!
    It may have value, but I'd ONLY do it across a football field or totally safe surface - never where I like to run which is through the woods.
    Good Luck with this:drinker:
  • StubethyAlice
    Options
    One last thing to add about taking it "slow", I am referring to distance rather than speed. Your normal pace may go slightly up or down, but when I say take it slow, it's really meant as build up your distance slow, very slow.

Oh, yes, this is what I meant too. I wasn't even thinking in terms of speed of running!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I don't do pure barefoot running, but I run in zero drop shoes. I have been running since October '11, I started in VFFs, and I now run in NB Minimus Zero Run (mr00) and Softstar RunAmoc Dash shoes.

I don't think that barefoot running is a cure all, by any means. I am currently having some issues with my Achilles (bursitis maybe), too. I got a little IT Band trouble along the way. When I first started, my calves were extremely sore. All of my problems are probably exacerbated by TMTS, which I am still doing. None of my problems, so far, have been debilitating, however. I did take a 5 day break to let my bursitis calm down some.

Overall, I think that zero drop running has been a net positive. I remember vaguely back in high school trying to run and getting some shin splints using regular trainers, but I don't have any real reference point because I hadn't done any running for about 15 years before I started last year.

This year, I have run a little over 1450 miles to date, and now I'm working on a relatively high mileage marathon training plan (Pfitz 18/85).
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to run in expensive saucony's with cushioning and found I was getting pain in legs/feet/back. I know I was heel striking which was probably causing it. Then I looked up Chi Running and Evolution running and found that a mid foot strike was the way to go. Getting a pair of minimalist shoes (Saucony Hattori) has helped me because foot striking on your heel is very painful and it also forces you to have smaller strides and low feet transfer. I find I don't have the leg pains or back pains anymore.

At the same time I have also done weight training on my legs. I believe both of these changes I've made have helped me tremendously.

As a caution though I would say to start small distances first with minimalist shoes or barefoot until your feet and legs start becoming accustomed to it.
  • ChaCha9904
    ChaCha9904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends run barefoot or use Vibrams and they swear by it. They say it's easier on the joints simply because your platform is a lot closer to the ground and a lot of running shoes have unnecessary cushioning. I've done it a few times but settled for long distance running flats (Adidas XC spikeless) which I actually love...very little between my feet and the ground. I haven't used regular running shoes in about two years. Hopefully you can find a way to keep running!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A lot of good stuff has been said, but I'm going to chime in with the other side: I started wearing vibrams 2 years ago and I trained 1/2 mile at a time like they recommend (your calves realllly do need the adjustment time). I was a convert immediately and loved them. I trained for my first 1/2 marathon in them and, because I pronate, ended up with a severe stress fracture. It took me 12 weeks to recover. My podiatrist hates barefoot running for people with flat feet, high arches, or who pronate - it jams your bones together. After my foot healed I just wasn't comfortable in regular running shoes so I switched to a minimalist shoe (the Nike Free plus) and can put my orthodics in those. I couldn't wear my vibrams for about a year without feeling some pain. I now wear them but only for runs that are 3 miles or less - I think they are great and definitely lessen stress on your joints, but they are really not for long distance running if you pronate!

just my experience. o and I wear them to walk everywhere.
  • ChaCha9904
    ChaCha9904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A lot of good stuff has been said, but I'm going to chime in with the other side: I started wearing vibrams 2 years ago and I trained 1/2 mile at a time like they recommend (your calves realllly do need the adjustment time). I was a convert immediately and loved them. I trained for my first 1/2 marathon in them and, because I pronate, ended up with a severe stress fracture. It took me 12 weeks to recover. My podiatrist hates barefoot running for people with flat feet, high arches, or who pronate - it jams your bones together. After my foot healed I just wasn't comfortable in regular running shoes so I switched to a minimalist shoe (the Nike Free plus) and can put my orthodics in those. I couldn't wear my vibrams for about a year without feeling some pain. I now wear them but only for runs that are 3 miles or less - I think they are great and definitely lessen stress on your joints, but they are really not for long distance running if you pronate!

just my experience. o and I wear them to walk everywhere.

Great info :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there who has suffered recurring injury, and has been tempted to try barefoot running/minimalist shoes and had positive results?

I had recurring knee and shin splint pan before I switched over 3 years ago. The transition to the Chi Running Method and Vibrams has been miraculous. Good luck!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there who has suffered recurring injury, and has been tempted to try barefoot running/minimalist shoes and had positive results?

I had recurring knee and shin splint pan before I switched over 3 years ago. The transition to the Chi Running Method and Vibrams has been miraculous. Good luck!

I've completed two half marathons in both the Bikila LS and New Balance Trail Minimus.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with repetitive foot fractures and shin splints. Since using the Vibram 5-fingers (broke them and myself in using the program included) I haven't had a single issue.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    This doesn't exactly answer your question but try reading "Born to Run" it discusses barefoot or minimalist running with some very good examples.

The gist of it is that research studies showed that reducing the use of cushioned shoes reduced injuries since our feet have a natural spring system (foot arch). Over time people are using to too much support which causes their feet to become weaker. Minimalist running also shows to correct stride and helps with running "lighter" since you are more likely to feel impact with the ground and correct your stride.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I read in Outside Magazine that you should run the way you grew up walking. Meaning, if you grew up wearing shoes, you should run in shoes and if you grew up barefoot, run barefoot. It said it's because the way you move your feet is fundamentally different. People who learn to walk in shoes strike the ground hard with their heels and the shoes absorb part of the shock. If you try to run barefoot like that, you could injure yourself more than with shoes. People who learned to walk barefoot, on the other hand, strike the ground with the balls of their feet, and a shoe would damper the way they move their feet.

I'll try to find the original article in my magazine stash.
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    So I was having issues with my knee, hip, and heels when walking long distances. My hubby convinced me to try Merrel shoes, well I ended up buying the Merrel Barefoot Shoes and I love them. My hip, knee, and heels no longer hurt when walking for exercise. I will tell you that you will feel muscle soreness in the lower part of your leg and ankle area. According to their site that is because you will be using muscles that do not get used as much in normal tennis shoes.

Here is their site:

\www.merrell.com/Barefoot

I :heart: my merrells! Great for lifting too.