GUT CHECK

Options
I’ve lost 30 lbs (before MFP and during) and I feel great. I no long have to window shop at the stores I want to buy clothes in. I can actually go in and buy them. I feel healthy and strong. I am getting better every day. The one thing that is really a drawback…MY GUT. I try on clothes at those cool stores and everything looks wonderful until I face front. GUT CHECK. I’m looking for tips to get this tummy reduced.
My daughter reminds me that “Abs are made in the kitchen.” So my guess is keeping my calories under goal isn’t the only thing I should be concerned about. Your thoughts?

5692840.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've only been here 43 days, but I found 'abs are made in the kitchen' to be completely true. The biggest help for me was cutting out refined sugar. Just cutting pepsi and coke from my diet, I noticed a difference in 2 weeks in my tummy :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Keeping your calories at goal is the best way to lose fat. Exercise is an added bonus. But fat falls of where IT wants to, as opposed to where YOU want it to. You can work on toning your tummy but until the extra layer of fat comes off you will not see the muscle underneath. Good luck!!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track, just keep doing what you're doing and your tummy will follow. Unfortunately, spot reducing isn't possible.. just stick to you guns and over all good nutrition, keeping your cals in check and exercising will eventually start to show results in those problematic areas.

I bet you're having more results than you realize in your tummy. Are you measuring yourself? If not, start. You'll be amazed at inches lost even when the scale isn't moving.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been doing core exercises, you can tighten your abs a bit by doing some... but to reduce the fat that you carry on your abdomen, what your daughter says is true. Abs truly are made in the kitchen... and your body will take fat off in the reverse order that it put it on... meaning that your core will most likely be the last place for that fat to melt away.
  • BChamp1226
    BChamp1226 Posts: 26
    Options
    A little more contaxt might be helpful...current height, weight, age...have you always had a gut. Not everybody is made to have flat abs.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    For me, it's reducing sugar and bread.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Timing of when you intake macronutrients can be beneficial, I.E. little to no carbs your last two meals of the day. However it all boils down to calories in and calories out. Also, like BChamp said, genetics plays a large role, depending on your body type you have to tweak things to your strengths and weaknesses.
  • blesdchile
    blesdchile Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I wasn't looking for "flat abs" just a reduction in the tummy area.
    A little more contaxt might be helpful...current height, weight, age...have you always had a gut. Not everybody is made to have flat abs.
  • blesdchile
    Options
    I will definitely look into that as well. It may just need more tone in that area. I know diet is huge but core exercises certainly couldn't hurt. Thanks!
  • blesdchile
    Options
    I am not measuring myself and I kind hate I haven't. That would be mucho motivation. I'll add that to my weigh-in. Thanks!
    You're on the right track, just keep doing what you're doing and your tummy will follow. Unfortunately, spot reducing isn't possible.. just stick to you guns and over all good nutrition, keeping your cals in check and exercising will eventually start to show results in those problematic areas.

I bet you're having more results than you realize in your tummy. Are you measuring yourself? If not, start. You'll be amazed at inches lost even when the scale isn't moving.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I have a little paunch (hoping it will go away once I reach goal weight), and something I find very helpful is to just wear spanx under the clothes. No need to freak out, feel bad, or cut out more carbs and sugar than I am already. :)
  • blesdchile
    Options
    I have definitely considered. I question the comfort but may try it to see for myself :)

I have a little paunch (hoping it will go away once I reach goal weight), and something I find very helpful is to just wear spanx under the clothes. No need to freak out, feel bad, or cut out more carbs and sugar than I am already. :)