GUT CHECK

Options
I’ve lost 30 lbs (before MFP and during) and I feel great. I no long have to window shop at the stores I want to buy clothes in. I can actually go in and buy them. I feel healthy and strong. I am getting better every day. The one thing that is really a drawback…MY GUT. I try on clothes at those cool stores and everything looks wonderful until I face front. GUT CHECK. I’m looking for tips to get this tummy reduced.

My daughter reminds me that “Abs are made in the kitchen.” So my guess is keeping my calories under goal isn’t the only thing I should be concerned about. Your thoughts?

5692840.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    while you aren't going to get a six pack by doing ab work, you will strengthen those core muscles and flatten your stomach. Have you been doing any ab exercises? I like to do lying leg raises, but there are tons of things out there to try.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    For me reducing my gluten helped, it boats me up and makes my stomach look disgusting! Some ab exercises and some high intensity cardio will help too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You don't mention what workout routine your doing. That could help. It wouldn't spot reduce but could help develop better muscle structure and burn off some more fat.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm almost in the same boat. I have lost just over 30 lbs so far and although I still have "problem areas" my biggest is my gut. I do cardio and HIIT and try to add in an extra core/ab exercise also. Besides trying to keep a healthy diet. I think it is just gonna take time unfortunatly lol no quick results haha :smile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm almost in the same boat. I have lost just over 30 lbs so far and although I still have "problem areas" my biggest is my gut. I do cardio and HIIT and try to add in an extra core/ab exercise also. Besides trying to keep a healthy diet. I think it is just gonna take time unfortunatly lol no quick results haha :smile:

You are doing 2 types of cardio. That will be a slow way get the results you want. You will see quicker results if you kept one of the cardio routines and added in some strength training.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

You are doing 2 types of cardio. That will be a slow way get the results you want. You will see quicker results if you kept one of the cardio routines and added in some strength training.

^^ this
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find pilates is great at strengthening your core and tightening the tummy!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The quality of the food you eat is just as important as the quantity. Fresh fruits and veggies and lots of water will help; the "cleaner" you eat the better results you will get.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, hence the sn! But I've lost 41lbs and it's not near as bad now. I was walking and jogging and then had to switch to biking because I broke my foot. I think biking has helped tone up the sides of my tummy all the way down to my hips! I've also noticed that the 'shelf' is lifting and my belly button is higher!
    Good luck!
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

^^ this

Thanks for the advice!!!!!
  • blesdchile
    blesdchile Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks! I haven't done leg raises in a long time but they are excellent. I am in no way looking for a flat abs. I'm just looking to reduce my tummy so it doesn't protrude as much :).
    while you aren't going to get a six pack by doing ab work, you will strengthen those core muscles and flatten your stomach. Have you been doing any ab exercises? I like to do lying leg raises, but there are tons of things out there to try.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I haven't done leg raises in a long time but they are excellent. I am in no way looking for a flat abs. I'm just looking to reduce my tummy so it doesn't protrude as much :).

a flat tummy doesn't protrude! I'm not talking ripped, I am just saying you need to get your muscles strengthened so your stomach is flat. Even if you have a little fat or loose skin over them, if the muscles are strong, it will be a lot flatter.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It all comes down to overall body fat loss, not weight loss. I say this because cutting fat is what gives you a nice tight body. The best way to do this is a small calorie deficit (around 10-20% below tdee) and strength training. Cardio helps burn a ton of calories but isn't as good for cutting fat (see link below).

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • blesdchile
    blesdchile Posts: 62
    Options
    I agree and that's what I'll be focused on. I can't cut anymore calories (I am at 1390) but tightening & strengthening is definitely the next course of action. That and a pair of Spanx until I get it tamed :). Thanks for the input. It's appreciated.